Too many edit points

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Too many edit points

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm

My last Brazilian track got returned because it wasn't a live sounding performance played like live musicians do(did not agree and wrote to head screener), now I try to create a more live sounding track and it comes back as too busy for under a dialogue although the reference tracks are going pretty heavy with improve.

Too many edit points: There is edit points and musical breaks but I guess in Film/TV it is considered as all edit points(note to self for future and leave the musical ideas for live gigs and albums)

Yes I read the listing and listened to the ref tracks a gazillion times. so I went to create a track like Batacuda by Walter Wanderly like the listing preferred we do out of the 4 refs. I would say that it is a pretty heavy track as the jazz cats would say.

https://www.taxi.com/members/M8lnHf2ZQO ... 8Fj7N_wi7Q

my track:https://www.taxi.com/members/M8lnHf2ZQO ... ina-colada

Just want more clarification and learn, starting to loose confidence in playing Latin music.

that is all.
Thank you.

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Too many edit points

Post by RPaul » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:00 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:33 pm
My last Brazilian track got returned because it wasn't a live sounding performance played like live musicians do(did not agree and wrote to head screener), now I try to create a more live sounding track and it comes back as too busy for under a dialogue although the reference tracks are going pretty heavy with improve.

Too many edit points: There is edit points and musical breaks but I guess in Film/TV it is considered as all edit points(note to self for future and leave the musical ideas for live gigs and albums)

Yes I read the listing and listened to the ref tracks a gazillion times. so I went to create a track like Batacuda by Walter Wanderly like the listing preferred we do out of the 4 refs. I would say that it is a pretty heavy track as the jazz cats would say.

https://www.taxi.com/members/M8lnHf2ZQO ... 8Fj7N_wi7Q

my track:https://www.taxi.com/members/M8lnHf2ZQO ... ina-colada

Just want more clarification and learn, starting to loose confidence in playing Latin music.
Let me start with the caveats that I am decidedly no expert on Latin music or writing instrumental cues. Rather, I read your review, listened to your piece, and listened to a fair portion of the "Batacuda" track you alluded to as being a primary reference.

On the edit points, you do have a lot, but "Batacuda" does, too. The big differences is that, except for one of yours, where there is a piano that fills in the space somewhat, all yours are dead stops, with nothing to lead to the next section. Whereas in "Batacuda", all the ones I heard had something filling in, be it ambience in the early one with just percussion, or organ pickup notes, or whatever. They still make enough space that an editor could cut the track, but also keep the music flowing if it isn't time to cut it yet.

As for the "busy-ness" comment on your track, I agree, but not on specifics. I don't think it is the guitar playing that makes yours feel too busy for the most part (maybe in one section). I'm actually not sure what it is, but it sounds like some kind of percussion that almost has a feel of people talking -- perhaps some bowed metal or something??? -- that comes in around halfway through the track. It is just filling in a lot of space with "busy-ness" and making the overall piece sound way busier than it would if it were just guitar and more drum-like percussion.

The other key comment the reviewer made was not having the percussion prominent enough in yours, and that is definitely a difference I heard between your track and the reference track. Also, the reference track was led by the organ, at a fair volume difference from the backing guitar. Even though the guitar in it was pretty busy, its being so far back in the mix made it less prominent, and the organ wasn't super busy melodically. In the places where it got busier, it was more just a rhythmic thing than a melodic thing.

I guess my thoughts would be to make there be bigger differences between background and foreground. Since the guitar is your feature, maybe have that higher in the mix than any background instruments (e.g. piano) except for the percussion that is purely rhythmic. There is also one part in the song where the guitar gets very busy, where maybe it could be less so, but I think the bigger consideration would be, if the guitar will be the main element, to make the background pitched parts be less busy. That said, in "Batacuda", the guitar is in the background and is busier than the melodic organ in the foreground, but it is also more of a rhythmic thing than a melodic thing. So maybe busy rhythms are okay but busy melodies not so much???

Rick

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:02 pm

Thank you for listening Paul. I made the guitar the lead and that is why the organ is in the back, I wasn't copying exactly the ref, the organ the ref is the lead instrument and as I said I was trying to create a live session cause last one got returned saying "the drum is a loop and not live sounding"

On the edit points: in the past I was told by a screener "need to make a clear stop with no sound so it is more definite" so I don't know confused.

Yes usually in Latin music there is a percussion riff in the break that leads into the next section but I didn't so there is a clean silence.

So I don't know, just following suggestions from different screeners with different opinions.

Yes the reference track is a busy one, if it wasn't there I would have totally written something else.

Thank you for your time.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:39 am

Quick listen - no idea about the style of music ( neither would I expect would the person editing to picture to have a clue )

Batucada - would sit well under dialogue

Palm trees and Pina colada - everything in the range where people would be speaking - not sitting well under dialogue

So it's essentially an arrangement issue not a musical one

Mark

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:10 am

RPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:00 pm
As for the "busy-ness" comment on your track, I agree, but not on specifics. I don't think it is the guitar playing that makes yours feel too busy for the most part (maybe in one section). I'm actually not sure what it is, but it sounds like some kind of percussion that almost has a feel of people talking -- perhaps some bowed metal or something??? -- that comes in around halfway through the track. It is just filling in a lot of space with "busy-ness" and making the overall piece sound way busier than it would if it were just guitar and more drum-like percussion.

Rick
Yeah, I think that might be the cuica, and it does get kinda fatiguing after a while. You might want to just feature it for a bit then dip the volume down on that after 4 or 8 bars.