Too Repetitive Too Often

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

solidairmusic

Re: Too Repetitive Too Often

Post by solidairmusic » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:22 am

DennisPMusic wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:02 am
Hi

Nice song you have made with a lot more arc than the reference track:-).

I just had the same issue with screener 416. He forwarded one of my songs and rejected another and his reason for this was lack of arc and too repetitive. My two tracks had the same build-up and a lot more arc than the reference track. The one he rejected, he forwarded the last time, to the same type of listing, without any comments on arc, and that it was too repetitive.
Screener 416 has also reviewed the last 8 of my submissions and I don't feel that he/she listens to the reference tracks before reviewing.
I will make an official complaint this weekend because there have been too many times, that I have disagreed with the screener.
Thanks, Dennis,

Interesting that a track that got a forward by this screener previously was rejected for a similar listing. I also wondered if the screener had considered the reference tracks when making their decision.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

Pete
Pete Mason
Solid Air Music LLC

solidairmusic

Post by solidairmusic » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:32 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:43 am
IMHO the ref track doesn't have the variation in layering that you included in your submission, so I agree that you've put more effort in to work all the possibilities from your chord sequence. By comparison, the ref track doesn't really do that, but what it does do is vary chord sequence and timing occasionally, so it breaks up the sense of hearing the same simple 1-chord-per-bar chords going round and round from start to finish. Perhaps that's the source of the 'too repetitive' comment. I reckon that neither track fully meets the brief, but if I had to chose one to go with it'd be the ref track because I find chord variations more appealing than layering variations. Nevertheless, as Casey says, you've got a decent track that'll fit somewhere.
Thanks for your comments Graham, much appreciated. I certainly see your point about the lack of variation in the chord sequence and maybe that was too repetitive part of this cue.

Thanks again,

Pete
Pete Mason
Solid Air Music LLC

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:38 pm

It feels repetetive because it just goes around the same four chords over and over so although you vary the arrangement pretty well I was waiting for it to change chords but it never did. If you'd written another 4 bars where the chords vary and alternated them you'd probably have been okay.

This is one I did for a Library a while back, but I used and 8 bar chord pattern and I also had a B section with different chords altogether...does make a difference

https://soundcloud.com/cosmicdolphin/sp ... 16b4713cf0

Mark

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:29 pm

The link of your sub doesn’t work for me. Would love to hear it😁
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:50 pm

melodea wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:29 pm
The link of your sub doesn’t work for me. Would love to hear it😁
https://soundcloud.com/cosmicdolphin/sp ... 95bac2a14a

Try again

It's not a Taxi submission BTW it's something I made for a library that's a similar style

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:50 am

Hi Pete

I read your post with great interest because I think it's so important to talk about the submissions that didn't turn out in a forward! There are two points that stick out IMO.
First, the reference is always a guideline for the feel of a track. I never take it as a blueprint for an arrangement. In this case, the reference you mentioned is way too repetitive
but shows very well the overall feel of the track they're looking for. The second point is the screeners comment that the intensity of the track stays too long ant the same level. There I have to
agree. Even though the instrumentation changes the first real break comes at around 1 min. Maybe as a previous member (cosmic dolphin I think) mentioned a 8 bar chord change would have made it less repetitive? IMO a breakdown part earlier in the game with a harmonic change (but not too radical to not leave the overall feel) would have done the job. I think your submission was very good but unfortunately, the screener has to make a choice, and in this case as hard as it might seem the track missed the mark by a fraction of an inch. But still very good work mate! Heads down and keep up the good work! W.Disney got turned down over 300 times (maybe that helps :) )

cheers Chris
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser