Top 40 style fun Pop songs submission

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tselden

Top 40 style fun Pop songs submission

Post by tselden » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm the writer and Chloe is the singer (Chase Chase Chase You)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FcXwUU ... sp=sharing

I need help with how to change this to what the screener was describing.
I think I'm slightly lost here.

Here's the listing (critique is after listing)

FUN, TOP 40-Style POP SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are U-R-G-E-N-T-L-Y needed by MONDAY for an (up to) $15,000 placement by a very successful Multi-Media Company/Producer, who is pitching to a big Animated Feature Film!

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that would fall within the general stylistic ballpark of the following reference we got from our client:

“Happy” by Pharrell Williams

“Blur” by MØ ft. Foster The People

“Lose Yourself to Dance” by Daft Punk

“Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift

NOTE: The song needs to be contemporary, with a mainstream Indie, EDM, or Top 40 Pop sound. Some R&B influences could work for this too, but it's important not to go overboard on the R&B. R&B flavored, but nothing dominant.

Give them slick, Top 40-Style Pop songs that have strong production; great melodies; and catchy, anthemic hooks/choruses that are easy to sing-along with. Be sure your vocals are polished and confident, with a youthful, Pop-Style delivery. This request is for a party scene, so give them a song that will elevate the scene. Fun, fun, fun!

LYRIC Tip: They're looking for fun lyrics and hooks that can be easily repeated. This request is for a family-friendly animated film so please DO NOT submit anything that’s even close to being lyrically edgy or risqué. Lyrics that avoid specific names, places, dates, times, brands, and profanity will work best.

Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: They will need an instrumental-only version of your song as well, but not yet! All you need to submit for now is the Full Song with vocals, but please have a mix-minus-vocal on hand and ready to send it at a moment’s notice if you get a call or email from the Producer. If you don’t have the ability to get your mix-minus-vocal in the Producer hands within an hour after being contacted, please don’t submit for this!

The estimated license fee for this is (up to) $15,000, depending on the ultimate placement. This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE agreement with a 50/50 split. The specific terms will be determined directly between you and the Company. Because this is an Exclusive deal, please do NOT submit music for this pitch that is already signed to any other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control your Copyright and Master recording. Please submit as many Songs as you like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a yes/no basis by a screener hand picked by the client – no full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, December 10th, 2018. TAXI #Y181210UR

Critique
Other
Your direction musically fits within the Pop genre our listing is targeting but the style, mood, and emotions need to be fun as well I felt melodically your styles could've been more on the current side of the spectrum. This would strengthen your marketability.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Top 40 style fun Pop songs submission

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:02 pm

I would say the production sounded dated..sounded more like 1998 than 2018.

The singer sounded disinterested ..no conviction...no perforamance quality ( although she could have a nice voice in there somewhere )

Mix wise it was all a bit flat and the singer sounded like she was cut and pasted over the top from a different acoustic space.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi tselden,

I agree with cosmicdolphin 100%.

The singer seems to be in a different space than the rest of the track.
It is also lacking deep bass and powerful drums!
A/B yours with the Taylor Swift track and you should be able to hear a BIG difference!

That does not mean give up....that means keep working!!!!

My 2 cents worth,

Tim

tselden

Post by tselden » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks for the input. I guess I need to start over.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:55 am

tselden wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:26 pm
Thanks for the input. I guess I need to start over.
Songs are hard especially if you aren't the singer yourself, I came into this wanting an outlet for my songs but I quickly realised how involved they are to produce and started majoring in instrumentals instead but I think they are a faster route to upping your production skills and getting some placements.

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:46 pm

You just gotta go binge listen to current top 40 for a while each day until you get a taste for what's current.

Also find some new drum sounds. The ones you have sound a bit dated. Go look around and buy some sample packs, specifically Mantra's and MDL's samplepacks.

But over all I'd suggest sticking to whatever music you actually like making and listening to.

tselden

Post by tselden » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:42 pm

I've a few forwards (29) but no placements. I plan on concentrating on more instrumentals (starting tomorrow).

Thanks for helping.
Tom