Top-Liners for Co-Write - #S220107RB +

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Top-Liners for Co-Write - #S220107RB +

Post by superblonde » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:18 pm

I'm wondering if anyone submitting to the current couple of "TOP-LINERS are needed to Co-Write" listings would like to share a link to their song submission for a listen, because I wonder where the quality bar is:
TOP-LINERS are needed to Co-Write with a Grammy-Nominated Record Producer who is focusing on creating music for a wide range of placements in TV Commercials.
Quoting the Producer: "I'm ideally looking for someone who can write and sing the songs."
This Producer is not going to be looking so much at the production as much as the melodies and lyrics of your tracks.

I haven't found any prior "Co-Write" listing submissions in the forwards blog and only 1 example in the forum archives perhaps because of exclusivity reasons, which makes it difficult to guess at quality. Recently I had song submissions rejected elsewhere due to production quality being not as expected (apparently did not like my song mock ups, and/or in the reviewers' words "finding it hard to imagine how this would sound"). A comparison would be good to review.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Top-Liners for Co-Write - #S220107RB +

Post by Casey H » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:57 pm

Grammy-Nominated Record Producer
That tells you the bar is VERY high.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:12 pm

An "Award-Winning Producer" should be auditorily-equipped enough to imagine a fully symphonically reorchestrated song regardless of the quality of the mock-up, however, the Grammy's in particular has displayed a mixed bag of talent with their 'popular bias' in recent years. So the quality bar presumably could go either way.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:29 pm

superblonde wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:12 pm
An "Award-Winning Producer" should be auditorily-equipped enough to imagine a fully symphonically reorchestrated song regardless of the quality of the mock-up, however, the Grammy's in particular has displayed a mixed bag of talent with their 'popular bias' in recent years. So the quality bar presumably could go either way.
Your opinion of the Grammys is meaningless as well your views on the auditory skills of an award wining producer are meaningless. Stop being so cerebral about it. Is there anyone out there that can't tell this is a VERY high bar listing? My God, "HIGH BAR" Is written all over this.
  • ...Grammy-Nominated Record Producer
  • ...your ability to write ear-catching top-lines that would work well for a variety of TV commercials. Your submissions should have instantly memorable hooks, captivating melodies, and well-crafted lyrics that are fresh, impactful, and appropriate for commercial placements.
  • ...placements in TV Commercials
  • ...Expressive, well-performed vocals with undeniable commercial appeal could seal the deal for getting the Producer excited about working with you!
POP/R&B TOP-LINERS are needed to Co-Write with a Grammy-Nominated Record Producer who is focusing on creating music for a wide range of placements in TV Commercials.

This "Track-Master" is already signed with a Publisher that gets a lot of great placements in TV commercials, and he's on the hunt for some great collaborators he can work with!

This Producer is looking for Songs in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

WARNING: The references may include graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"Get Into It (Yuh)" by Doja Cat

"Wait A Minute" by WILLOW

"Juice" by Lizzo

"Sunday Best" by Surfaces

Quoting the Producer: "I'm ideally looking for someone who can write and sing the songs." While this Producer is open to hearing and working with young, fresh talent, he has requested that writers be at least 17 years old to submit for this opportunity.

Please send top-notch Pop Songs with a distinct R&B influence that showcase your ability to write ear-catching top-lines that would work well for a variety of TV commercials. Your submissions should have instantly memorable hooks, captivating melodies, and well-crafted lyrics that are fresh, impactful, and appropriate for commercial placements.

This Producer is not going to be looking so much at the production as much as the melodies and lyrics of your tracks. That being said, your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be modern, fresh, and strong enough to represent your ideas well. Expressive, well-performed vocals with undeniable commercial appeal could seal the deal for getting the Producer excited about working with you!

NOTE: Please send at least TWO to THREE Songs per submission so this Producer can get a good idea of your top-lining chops.

Please submit positive, emotionally uplifting songs/lyrics, and avoid anything that's moody, dark, or depressing, as well as anything that has specific names, places, dates, times, brands, and/or profanity. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

The deal will be negotiated between you and the Producer, but it’s pretty obvious that the deal is likely to be a co-write/collaboration between you and them. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Your submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Friday, January 7th, 2022. TAXI # S220107RB
Last edited by Casey H on Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:52 pm

That reply quoting the listing itself is worth little whereas a submitted track would illustrate rather well, and easily. If the submission is for a producer, then I presume the submitted track will not be used verbatim either and will be re-recorded/re-mixed/re-mastered which may mean it need not be "broadcast quality'.

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:24 am

The obvious error in your thinking is that they would use the submitted tune...
They are looking for a Collaborator for future songwriting
If you can show depth/quality in melodic structure and hook lines, then this is your opportunity!
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:58 am

superblonde wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:52 pm
That reply quoting the listing itself is worth little whereas a submitted track would illustrate rather well, and easily. If the submission is for a producer, then I presume the submitted track will not be used verbatim either and will be re-recorded/re-mixed/re-mastered which may mean it need not be "broadcast quality'.
cassmcentee wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:24 am
If you can show depth/quality in melodic structure and hook lines, then this is your opportunity!
Superblonde... I'm really trying to help you though it is exasperating. You need to (a) get out of your own over-analyzing head and (b) REALLY learn to read listings. Otherwise your odds of any success with Taxi or elsewhere are zero. Also, success as a co-writer has a HUGE personality component and being as argumentative as you tend to be, you won't get there. Please take this as tough love.

While it's true the presentation doesn't have to be perfect, remember what you are competing with. The demos folks get these days are of excellent quality as everyone and their dog now has a home studio and pretty good chops. No, this one might not require full broadcast quality, but you better have a top notch hook and lyric and a presentation that brings it out incredibly well. Don't settle and think it will pass muster because of your own analysis of how the other party should be.

Why don't you post something you are thinking of submitting so we have a frame of reference?

Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:40 am

The best Topliner I've encountered via Taxi is Kali J - she's had a lot of success so you could do a lot worse than listen to some of her work to get some idea for where the bar is.

https://www.kalij.net/

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:54 am

I have a better idea, how about stop needlessly dissenting and/or replying if you don't have anything substantive to add per the original query. I simply asked, if someone was going to submit to S220107RB or similar TOP-LINER listings, that they consider posting a link to their submission here for a listen. That's ALL. you don't have a track to offer as an example, then you Don't Need To Reply At All. Especially replying "oh, the bar is high. High means very high, high is high because Grammy, high is absolutely very highest high, Don't you Know What High Means?" is ridiculous & overbearing when the request was for a listening example for reference since the usual Broadcast Quality standard might not apply; is that now perfectly clear?
cassmcentee wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:24 am
I agree... and yet it could go in various degrees, it's almost as if the listing could simply say "looking for Great Vocalist, who is somewhat of a Songwriter" except it also says the resultant work may be sung by someone else, which then puts it more in the "looking for Songwriter, who may also become the Singer"; though in general the listing seems to suggest that little focus on Instrumentation is warranted (too bad, virtuoso pianists). Perhaps Irving Berlin himself would get rejected.

I also thought of Kali J as a reference but the available tracks are the polished versions not the original demo's. For all I know, the demos (i.e. submissions to "request for top-liner collaborators") are simply the songwriter rapping over a drum machine's sequenced beat (Instrumentation: none!).

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:13 am

One additional aspect of the Kali J comparison is that I wouldn't qualify her art as Melodic. Hooky, maybe, rhythmic, definitely yes, but not "great top line melody", because rap does not employ interesting melody, and neither does a lot of pop. Which is why it would be great to hear examples. The listing's studio-produced reference tracks don't have melodic appeal when compared to broad musical standards for "good melody" (regardless of Grammy-related status). Hypothetically a listing could say "Looking for primarily Monotonic melodies ONLY" on that point. And vocal quality? Listen first before replying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xfdjqa5dfY