The Never Ending Re-Write

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

The Never Ending Re-Write

Postby Razor7Music » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:30 am

After being at songwriting for many years, I recently decided to get serious again - get current and marketable with my tunes. I had a couple tunes I was already working on when I bought Robin Frederick's hit songwriting shortcuts book. As I'm reading her book, now after about every 5 or so shortcuts, I decide to re-write my song! :lol:

I typically do several lyric re-writes as a general rule. Sometimes what reads well doesn't sing well, etc. This time, I'm thinking I would rather re-write the tunes now, rather than go back after I've spent the time mixing and mastering them only to re-write them anyway.

I think it's kind of funny because in one sense, I want to get the tunes out and build my catalog, but on the other hand, I'd rather have fewer really good songs than be prolific with songs that would be good only if...

Bottom line is that with each re-write, the tunes are actually improving and I think that's what really matters. I'm aware, and guilty of the "fussing" stage of writing/producing and I fight that--but in reality, with each re-write I think the songs are actually getting better and better.

I think once I've finished the book, the next song I write will come a lot easier because I will start them off with a working knowledge of what sounds good and works in today's market, rather than having to retool something that didn't.

Thanks for letting me share. :D
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
https://soundcloud.com/stephen-davis-27
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Taxi Member Since November 2012

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon
JeSsiCaRaTz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 am
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: The Never Ending Re-Write

Postby JeSsiCaRaTz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks for sharing!
Makes me think I should read that book. One of my problems is after I write my "final" version, sometimes I fall in love with it. Then it's hard to change it! What I do is I force myself to revise any parts that I think are not totally strong, of course keeping both versions. I tell myself that I can decide later which version I like better, nothing to lose. I almost always end up liking the newer version better! It's a weird process. It's like having a baby that's just a little bit ugly. You love the baby so much that you wouldn't change it for the world, and yet...sure, it would be great if your baby were better looking.
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: The Never Ending Re-Write

Postby Razor7Music » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 pm

JeSsiCaRaTz wrote:Thanks for sharing!
Makes me think I should read that book. One of my problems is after I write my "final" version, sometimes I fall in love with it. Then it's hard to change it! What I do is I force myself to revise any parts that I think are not totally strong, of course keeping both versions. I tell myself that I can decide later which version I like better, nothing to lose. I almost always end up liking the newer version better! It's a weird process. It's like having a baby that's just a little bit ugly. You love the baby so much that you wouldn't change it for the world, and yet...sure, it would be great if your baby were better looking.



I recommend the book. You may not need or use 100% of it, but it is definitly worth it.

BTW--I thought mothers always thought their babaies were cute!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
https://soundcloud.com/stephen-davis-27
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Taxi Member Since November 2012

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon
AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:54 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: The Never Ending Re-Write

Postby AnthonyCeseri » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Razor7Music wrote:After being at songwriting for many years, I recently decided to get serious again - get current and marketable with my tunes. I had a couple tunes I was already working on when I bought Robin Frederick's hit songwriting shortcuts book. As I'm reading her book, now after about every 5 or so shortcuts, I decide to re-write my song! :lol:

I typically do several lyric re-writes as a general rule. Sometimes what reads well doesn't sing well, etc. This time, I'm thinking I would rather re-write the tunes now, rather than go back after I've spent the time mixing and mastering them only to re-write them anyway.

I think it's kind of funny because in one sense, I want to get the tunes out and build my catalog, but on the other hand, I'd rather have fewer really good songs than be prolific with songs that would be good only if...

Bottom line is that with each re-write, the tunes are actually improving and I think that's what really matters. I'm aware, and guilty of the "fussing" stage of writing/producing and I fight that--but in reality, with each re-write I think the songs are actually getting better and better.

I think once I've finished the book, the next song I write will come a lot easier because I will start them off with a working knowledge of what sounds good and works in today's market, rather than having to retool something that didn't.

Thanks for letting me share. :D


That's an awesome attitude. I think you're so right about how the rewrites you're doing now will help make your later songs come easier. Great stuff. Thanks for posting :)
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: The Never Ending Re-Write

Postby Razor7Music » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:18 pm

"That's an awesome attitude. I think you're so right about how the rewrites you're doing now will help make your later songs come easier. Great stuff. Thanks for posting :)"


Hey thanks. Us songwriters need outside encouragement as much as we can get it!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
https://soundcloud.com/stephen-davis-27
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Taxi Member Since November 2012

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon
User avatar
Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Midwestern Ohio
Contact:

Re: The Never Ending Re-Write

Postby Russell Landwehr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi Stephen.

I like your perspective on this.

I'm in the "Quality over Quantity" camp myself. And I've heard that if you focus on Quality, the Quantity will follow.

Thanks for your post.

Regards,
Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
http://www.taxi.com/Russell_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr
User avatar
andygabrys
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4893
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:09 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Santa Fe, NM by way of Chilliwack, Boston, NYC
Contact:

Re: The Never Ending Re-Write

Postby andygabrys » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:11 pm

good thread.

a guitar teacher of mine impressed on me the difference between depth (skill) and breadth (repertoire) - this was concerning playing jazz.

focussing on breadth first means you can play lots of songs, but non of them at a very deep level.

but focussing on depth means that you become incredibly skillful at playing one song. Its easier to apply that to other songs later.

I see a lot of parallels between that and writing / production. The depth is acquiring those deep objective hearing / listening / editing skills which I think everything is then built off of. If you don't hear it / realize it, its hard to do anything about it (or even know where to start).
AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:54 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: The Never Ending Re-Write

Postby AnthonyCeseri » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:03 am

Razor7Music wrote:
Hey thanks. Us songwriters need outside encouragement as much as we can get it!


Definitely! :)
Jim1960
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 3:31 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: The Never Ending Re-Write

Postby Jim1960 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:21 am

After many many years of songwriting and recording, I thought my stuff would blend well in today's market. It did in the past and I have multiple publications. After my break and coming back into the fold, I discovered my "Progressive" style of rock and Intros no longer apply. Generous lead sections and cool rifs went out the door as well. So, I bought the book "shortcuts...." and read articles from music Library owners. I Also examined very closely the songs behind TV/Radio commercials. It turns out I need to completely revamp my style. Not a big deal.

"The never ending Re-Write" When recording a song, I've learned over the years to sit with the tune for weeks, playing different arrangements. Trying different vocal harmony's and wording, polishing the parts, all before laying down one track. When tracking time comes, I lay down a basic drum pattern for 4 minutes. Then I record what I've worked on for weeks and finally lay down the final drum track. It takes longer doing it my way but I very rarely ever have to go back and re-record a different arrangement.

My 2 cents as always

Return to “Songwriters Nook”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests