Total Newb - Where to Start?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

danconnolly

Total Newb - Where to Start?

Post by danconnolly » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:03 pm

A friend is submitting a few band songs into the Vintage category. He's a member and I'm trying to figure out where to start (mainly Instrumental cues at this point). Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the Taxi ball rolling? Such as:

1) Should I hook up with a PRO first?
2) Study contracts - which are most important, how many do I need to know?
3) Etc.

Any feedback on what should happen first is much appreciated.

Thanks!
"Because life is better with music."

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Total Newb - Where to Start?

Post by cassmcentee » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:35 pm

Hello and Welcome.
Start by searching here to do your homework: https://www.youtube.com/c/TaxiIndependentAR/videos
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

danconnolly

Post by danconnolly » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the resource. Much appreciated.

Dan

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:19 am

danconnolly wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:03 pm
A friend is submitting a few band songs into the Vintage category. He's a member and I'm trying to figure out where to start (mainly Instrumental cues at this point). Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the Taxi ball rolling? Such as:

1) Should I hook up with a PRO first?
2) Study contracts - which are most important, how many do I need to know?
3) Etc.

Any feedback on what should happen first is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi Dan, welcome. Those are good questions. I would start with assessing where your strengths are in composing and producing instrumental cues... check the TAXI listings, check the forwards here on the forum, listen to tracks forwarded in the genre(s) you feel you can tackle, be sure you understand the difference between song backup & arrangement and instrumental cue arrangement. If you plan to submit a cue to a listing you can post it here in Peer to Peer with the text of the listing and a link to the track and ask if it sounds like a fit.

Know the difference between non-exclusive and exclusive contracts, understand how songwriters get songwriting and music libraries & publishers get publishing. Understand what a work for hire is, and what a co-write is and whichever situation you are in, if someone else worked on your song you need the agreement in writing. Be sure you own the master of anything you submit or have a co-write agreement if that ownership is shared. Make sure your co-writers also understand industry basics as imo it's crucial when a deal is offered to get the paperwork signed and back to the entity involved as quickly as possible with a minimum of fuss.

You might also want to understand what alt mixes, stingers and bumpers are in case you are asked to provide them. Every library is a little different in its requirements (aiff, wav, and so on).

Yes, it's a good idea to be registered with a PRO (you and any co-writers) if you are submitting tracks to listings and getting forwards - you want to be ready with your PRO information if a deal is offered. TAXI TV and TAXI articles and this forum are great resources.

HTH
Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

danconnolly

Post by danconnolly » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi Hummingbird,

Knowing the difference between exclusive and non-exclusive sounds pretty important! Thanks for that.

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:26 pm

danconnolly wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:17 pm
Hi Hummingbird,

Knowing the difference between exclusive and non-exclusive sounds pretty important! Thanks for that.
Hi Dan and welcome in!

Yes everything Vikki/Humminbird said above is very important! If I was to list the steps I'd start with;

1) Register with a PRO (I'd recommend BMI if you're in the States). Registration can take a while so I'd start with that.
2) Sometimes when contracts come in they can be 5-7 pages long and very confusing. Study this so you don't hold up the deal when it comes. https://www.taxi.com/transmitter/2008/u ... contracts/
3) It's okay to ask your publisher/library questions but it's good to have some solid, basic knowledge beforehand.
4) Like Cass said above check out that link he provided.
5) Don't be shy about posting question up here. Most folks don't bite ;)

best of luck! John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CEMundt » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:03 am

cassmcentee wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:35 pm
Hello and Welcome.
Start by searching here to do your homework: https://www.youtube.com/c/TaxiIndependentAR/videos
+1

Watch em all, well, as many as you can. All of these questions are answered clearly and typically more than once. There are a TON!

danconnolly

Post by danconnolly » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:16 pm

JohnnyP and CEMundt,

Tangible advice. Thanks.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World