Trailer Music Potential Forwards

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

xiphiasaudio

Trailer Music Potential Forwards

Post by xiphiasaudio » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Greetings fellow musicians, composers, songwriters and music hermits.

First time posting on the taxi forums so nice to meet you and all the like!

They aren't forwards (yet) but I'm quite confident in the cues and would love to hear your input ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mg9zkqj8ee1c ... AMn8a?dl=0

Best,
Rowan

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Trailer Music Potential Forwards

Post by MattCurious » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi Rowan

Good for you!

If you're looking for input, you probably want to post in the Peer to Peer forum - that's where most people will be hanging around to give advice. This one is more for posting things that have already gotten through so that people can see what "good" looked like for a particular listing; you may get less advice on this one.

For what it's worth, though - here's my opinion. Please forgive the brevity, which is not intended to be harsh - I do a lot of my Taxi'ing in the morning before work, so I'm pushed for time:

The opening sound on the Sahara Chronicles is masking the strings to start with and is a bit distracting to my ears - it's consider bringing it down in the mix. I'd consider a bit more reverb on all of the mixes generally - for a big sound, there's not much wash coming back from the room, which makes it sound artificial. And a classic point on these ones (something I've fallen foul of many times) is that the drums aren't currently big enough for an epic sound - they need to be more apparent in the mix, with a lot more rumbling bass - that's where the power comes from - and more of the higher, ticking layer coming through (this adds pace and excitement).

On Storm the Gates, the droning strings and the melody above them sound a bit artificial to me - moreso the drone, though. Is it the same sample cycling over and over or are there different samples in a round robin or random order? Can you maybe vary the velocity on the different bow strokes to make it more humanised?

In terms of the velocities generally, I didn't feel that there was much dynamic variation - it felt like all the instruments were being played in the same way throughout. For example, in the big sections, it should feel like the brass is really roaring - I've had this same issue on a mix recently where I was worried about losing the string line, but I'm just going to have to get around it (somehow!)

Titans Befall was much better on all of these points to my ear.

Best of luck!
Matt
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com

xiphiasaudio

Re: Trailer Music Potential Forwards

Post by xiphiasaudio » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:06 pm

MattCurious wrote:Hi Rowan

Good for you!

If you're looking for input, you probably want to post in the Peer to Peer forum - that's where most people will be hanging around to give advice. This one is more for posting things that have already gotten through so that people can see what "good" looked like for a particular listing; you may get less advice on this one.

For what it's worth, though - here's my opinion. Please forgive the brevity, which is not intended to be harsh - I do a lot of my Taxi'ing in the morning before work, so I'm pushed for time:

The opening sound on the Sahara Chronicles is masking the strings to start with and is a bit distracting to my ears - it's consider bringing it down in the mix. I'd consider a bit more reverb on all of the mixes generally - for a big sound, there's not much wash coming back from the room, which makes it sound artificial. And a classic point on these ones (something I've fallen foul of many times) is that the drums aren't currently big enough for an epic sound - they need to be more apparent in the mix, with a lot more rumbling bass - that's where the power comes from - and more of the higher, ticking layer coming through (this adds pace and excitement).

On Storm the Gates, the droning strings and the melody above them sound a bit artificial to me - moreso the drone, though. Is it the same sample cycling over and over or are there different samples in a round robin or random order? Can you maybe vary the velocity on the different bow strokes to make it more humanised?

In terms of the velocities generally, I didn't feel that there was much dynamic variation - it felt like all the instruments were being played in the same way throughout. For example, in the big sections, it should feel like the brass is really roaring - I've had this same issue on a mix recently where I was worried about losing the string line, but I'm just going to have to get around it (somehow!)

Titans Befall was much better on all of these points to my ear.

Best of luck!
Matt

Hey thanks Matt, I might revisit them and change the drum lines and revisit the ostinatos.
Great advice though.
Ill be sure to put this in the P2P forum instead next time.

Thanks Matt!