Trailers, TV Cues and Sound Design: Differences Explained - Monday at NOON Pacific!

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

admin
Site Admin

Trailers, TV Cues and Sound Design: Differences Explained - Monday at NOON Pacific!

Post by admin » Fri May 06, 2022 6:08 pm

Trailers, TV Cues & Sound Design
The Similarities and Differences Explained
With Special Guest: Randon Purcell

Click the link below to Watch Monday's LIVE Show at 12 pm Pacific!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DR8uTZui80

3pm Eastern (EDT) / 2pm Central (CDT) / 12pm Pacific (PDT) / 8pm London (BST) / 5am Sydney (AEST)

Dear Songwriters, Composers, and Artists,

Randon Purcell doesn't need TAXI any more!
Here's why...

"Hey Michael!

I hope you and the family are all well!

Everything here is madness, but going well enough. My job at [name withheld] is keeping me plenty busy, and I’m even doing some side scoring gigs on some movies with my boss, so that’s fun too. I just got signed on to do the score for a new animated show as well, later this year, so 2022 should be busy as ever.

Anyway, I just wanted to touch base and see how things are going. I don’t get a chance to hop on the TAXI forums much these days, but I love it when I can give back a little to the TAXI community. After all, I wouldn’t be a full-time musician without you guys!

Hope all is well and that The TAXI Road Rally will be in-person again this year!

Take care,
Randon"

Yep, that's why Randon doesn't need TAXI any more...he's too busy making music for his full-time income! Why is he so busy? "I wouldn’t be a full time musician without you guys!"

It was the sentence prior to that, that prompted me to ask Randon to join us for this week's TAXI TV episode. "I love it when I can give back a little to the TAXI community."

Without hesitation, I asked Randon to join me to explain the similarities and differences between creating music for Film Trailers and TV Promos, TV Shows, and Sound Design...for that matter, can you really explain exactly what sound design is, and how it's done? I'm not so sure I could, but I'd bet a pretty penny that Randon can!

And ask him, I will!

Randon is a very smart, pragmatic, hard-working person. His climb up the ladder of success took a few years and a lot of work. I think he might be able to shave some time from your climb by sharing what he's learned along the way.
  • If you're already creating Instrumental Cues, what do you need to know to create Film Trailer and TV Promo music?
  • Is sound design more like music or sound effects, or a combination of both?
  • How do you get paid for creating a whoosh, a braaam, or a distorted, growly tension drone?
  • Which synth patches work for what?
  • How are the arrangements similar or different?
  • How is scoring a TV show different than creating Cues that could be used in an episode of the very same show?
  • How much income can you earn from each one of these disciplines?
I'll be asking Randon these questions and many more. Block out the time to watch this episode live, so YOU can ask Randon your questions during the live show! Please join us at this special time: NOON Pacific time, MONDAY.

Click the link below to Watch Monday's LIVE Show at 12 pm Pacific!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DR8uTZui80

To Join the Live Chat During the Broadcast…
You’ll need to be signed up to YouTube (FREE) and be logged in to be able to join in on the chat during the show. Go to youtube.com and click the "Sign In" link in the upper right-hand corner of the page and fill out the short form to join. If you have a Gmail account, you’ll be able to associate your YouTube account with it!

3pm Eastern (EDT) / 2pm Central (CDT) / 12pm Pacific (PDT) / 8pm London (BST) / 5am Sydney (AEST)

See you at noon on the show,
Michael