Trip-Hop Track

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Trip-Hop Track

Post by AudiniAudio » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:39 pm

Trip-Hop seems to be the result when trying to create a World Fusion track from samples having the requirement that none of the samples are used as is. Seems like editing the vocals with Melodyne would have produced a more stylistic Bhangra track (instead of pitch shift, reverse, cut, and effects) but the result is an interesting enough ride depending on what you're looking for. "Weird" being the operative word in this case perhaps. I might go back and redo the vocals. The more you make, the more you learn. https://soundcloud.com/greg-turner-552985147/eeg-map-op

YoungManTerrell
Active
Active

Re: Trip-Hop Track

Post by YoungManTerrell » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:42 am

Hey Greg,

Amazing and ear catching throughout the track as a whole. Kept myself asking what's next, and how you'd do it. I was waiting on you to trip over your self or over do it. Though, I believe handled your business on that there track, Take care.

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:31 pm

I'm pretty happy with it too but I thought the drumming could have been more composed like with concerted triplets or a swing thing. When I'm coming up with this crazy stuff I always remember the ethnomusicological field recordings I used to listen to. On this one I was trying to emulate the drumming in Kerala India. Do you really feel it can be called Trip-Hop or maybe it's something else?

YoungManTerrell
Active
Active

Post by YoungManTerrell » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:25 pm

Very trippy in a fun exciting way, felt like a journey and wild ride. Could it be called "Experimental Hip Hop"? Or is "Trip - Hop" within the "Experimental Hip Hop" genre? Would like to hear you collaborate with Andre Stepanian, that would be interesting. The swing twist might be a move to make. Though, it might make the track less lab like, and more dance maybe. I'm not that educated on the subject. Amazing track.

Tatsu
Active
Active

Post by Tatsu » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:05 pm

Hadn't thought of swing. Interesting. Hmmm....

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:25 pm

Just wanted to say as someone who knows nothing about this genre at all, I really enjoyed this. A bit disorienting, but fun!

===
Michael

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:39 am

AudiniAudio wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:31 pm
I'm pretty happy with it too but I thought the drumming could have been more composed like with concerted triplets or a swing thing. When I'm coming up with this crazy stuff I always remember the ethnomusicological field recordings I used to listen to. On this one I was trying to emulate the drumming in Kerala India. Do you really feel it can be called Trip-Hop or maybe it's something else?
I think that if you are not completely satisfied with the result, the melody can be improved. Although for me, it sounds interesting and unlike other melodies, original sound.

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:56 am

Thanks Irthlingz and Kay. I've moved on for now.