Trying on Psychedelic Sneakers

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Trying on Psychedelic Sneakers

Post by aubreyz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:30 am

Another day, another lottery ticket NEO-PSYCHEDELIC ROCK-POP / GARAGE ROCK REVIVAL SONGS (with vocals - no instrumentals) a la Earl Greyhound, the Go, the White Stripes, the Brian Jonestown Massacre, the Dandy Warhols, the Verve, the Apples In Stereo, the Flaming Lips, etc. are needed by a major cable TV network for their TV promo spots for the upcoming MLB All Star game. With the game being held in San Francisco this year and this summer being the 40th anniversary of the "Summer of Love" of 1967, they want cool, fun songs that remind the viewing audience of 1967, but are very current-sounding. Up-tempos only - no ballads, nothing slow-tempo. Lyrically, think baseball, San Francisco (and the Bay Area), summer time, Summer of Love, all-star, the 1960s - those are the themes they really want. A great example is Smashmouth's "All Star" (from their 1999 release "Astro Lounge"), with its great chorus of "Hey now, you're an All Star, get your game on, go play!” Obviously, they're not seeking a direct copy of that song, but it's a good model of what they want lyrically. And keep in mind that they want that Neo-Psychedelia/Garage Rock musical style. They asked us to extra selective when screening for this project. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. As always, we will notify everyone via e-mail, whether your submissions have been Forwarded or Returned. Submissions must be received no later than 4:00 PM, Pacific Standard Time (California time), Tuesday, June 19, 2007. TAXI # D070619PRThis genre/direction is right down our alley. Here's the first "fader's up" mix. Though major changes won't be possible before the deadline, feedback is greatly appreciated. ---AubPsychedelic SneakersIt’s still the sixties in San Francisco A g-g-generation gap in the fabric of time Well did you miss the rock and roll side show The band is tuning up they’re gonna play the sunshine On the beach down by the bay Listen to the hippie in your heart Find a wayBack to yesterdayFind a wayI’m going cable car Hyde and seekingWhat kind of place would a Human Be-InI was Leary of the 38 Geary Who paid the fair for the Flower Children, yeahOn the beach down by the bay Listen to the hippie in your heart to find the wayReady or not, Here I come The summer of love has begunGive me the summer in San Francisco An all-star golden gate sliding into home plate See you later Barry Bond I got my psychedelic sneakers on Summertime psychedelic sneakersDon’t forget your psychedelic sneakersI’m a superstar guided rainbowShining bright like Candlestick ParkI wear my sunshades like a haloSo I can see better in the darkThe more things change the more they stay the same1967’s not so far awaySo give me the summer in San Francisco An all-star golden gate sliding into home plate See you later Barry Bond I got my psychedelic sneakers on I kinda love Haight Ashbury’s hay day Bohemian home run Jefferson airplane number one Hit me with your best fast ball I got my psychedelic sneakers onAre you psychedelicIt’s still the sixties in San Francisco A g-g-generation gap in the fabric of time Well did you miss the rock and roll side show The band is tuning up they’re gonna play just in time

grandmatarkin
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Trying on Psychedelic Sneakers

Post by grandmatarkin » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:40 am

I must say, I enjoyed this song a lot! Great sound, lots of energy. I can completely hear this for this listing. Dave

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks for the listens, and comments. For any interested, here's the mix that will be submitted.Psychedelic SneakersHere's to baseball, apple pie, and hoping for a forward!!!Aub

triviul
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by triviul » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:28 am

Just stumbled on your Broadjam page, and wanted to say that I think loads of your tracks are great! There are lots of unusual twists and turns (which appeals to me personally) and I have to give serious repect to your engineering and production chops... really impressive stuff. I'd be interested to hear how these tracks are panning out for you, because you've really bottled some lightning as far as I can hear, and I'd like to think that there are people out there who would recognise that.

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:49 am

What has come over this board?? Some seriously stellar cuts are coming out of the woodwork. 'Makes me want to snag a compilation and market the dodo out of it! Aub, I've always appreciated your productions chops, but this latest cut is scary good. The lyrics, the vocal delivery, the crunchy hooks, the trippy vibe -- it's all there. As I mentioned to Steve vis-a-vis his anthem cut, forward or not, this is a cut you can put in the can and be proud of. bc

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:53 pm

Quote:Just stumbled on your Broadjam page, and wanted to say that I think loads of your tracks are great! There are lots of unusual twists and turns (which appeals to me personally) and I have to give serious repect to your engineering and production chops... really impressive stuff. I'd be interested to hear how these tracks are panning out for you, because you've really bottled some lightning as far as I can hear, and I'd like to think that there are people out there who would recognise that.Quote:What has come over this board?? Some seriously stellar cuts are coming out of the woodwork. 'Makes me want to snag a compilation and market the dodo out of it! Aub, I've always appreciated your productions chops, but this latest cut is scary good. The lyrics, the vocal delivery, the crunchy hooks, the trippy vibe -- it's all there. As I mentioned to Steve vis-a-vis his anthem cut, forward or not, this is a cut you can put in the can and be proud of. bcA very wise friend of mine once said that trying to play it down when someone compliments you is just like begging for more compliments and is a sign of insecurity, so on that advice, let me just say thank you very sincerely.It's been a long year of experimentation. It had been so long since I had produced any serious music of my own, I was worried about ever finding that place again. During the last year, I have worked hard to update my sound, and improve my writing and production chops, but I must give credit where credit is due. For the last 6 months I have been collaborating with an amazing talent and person. Ponch and I have this connection unlike any collaboration I've ever experienced. Musically, we kind of finish each other's sentences... which is odd, considering we were born in different decades, I'm a Texas native and he was literally born and raised in the jungles of Indonesia. With Ponch's help, and of course the help of other musicians here locally and forum members like Andre, well... let me just say, things have come a long way.Sneakers is the first thing in a year that I'm satisfied with... sure I'd love to spend ten or twelve hours to get the absolute perfect mix, but short of that, and a real mastering engineer, I couldn't be happier. Not a single deal yet through Taxi, but that wasn't the primary first goal anyway. I'm a firm believer that when the music is good enough, it will find its way to the right places.It means a lot to have some validation that all the weekends and late nights over the past year are producing results.Hold on tight. The testing phase is coming to an end. The best is yet to come.Thanks again,Aub

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:42 am

LOTTO!!!Got the forward! Not time to celebrate yet.... Okay, maybe a little celebration. Now I get to hold my breath and hope that the network calls...

grandmatarkin
Impressive
Impressive

Post by grandmatarkin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:05 pm

Congrats!! I called it It's just got that "ya, I can hear this on TV" sound to it...Dave

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Quote:LOTTO!!!Got the forward! Not time to celebrate yet.... Okay, maybe a little celebration. Now I get to hold my breath and hope that the network calls...Congrats on the forward, Aub! Casey

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:34 pm

Quote:LOTTO!!!Got the forward! Not time to celebrate yet.... Okay, maybe a little celebration. Now I get to hold my breath and hope that the network calls...Terrrific news. Here's hoping for the full home run, Aub, here's hoping.As someone said above, an absolutely hopping mix.