trying to become a better producer

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bluezcruizer

trying to become a better producer

Post by bluezcruizer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:06 am

Hi all! This is such a great forum with so much great information. And to be able to work with industry gurus to boot -- I'm a new member (less than 1 yr) to TAXI, and have selectively posted about 5 different songs from my catalog. I'm getting pretty decent scores on my music, but am getting consistent feedback that my production quality is lacking, as well as some songs using older patches.I've since upgraded my system (software, hardware, and VST's) and am really happy with the technical abilities I have with the new machine; which took care of the "older patches" feedback.My background is a musician -- session player and gigging. Not much in recording and producing.The critiques have been helpful, too an extent. As Clint so graciously and patiently helped me back at the office (great guy BTW), I was made aware that some of the critiquers/screeners will touch on the production and others won't. It kind of depends on their background in the industry. If it's a producer for example he may know how to articulate what he saying about production much better than an A&R guy who may or may not know how to technically tell you how to improve production. They just know there are issues.I was hoping I could ping this group for some ideas and/or troubleshooting on some of my current stuff so I can increase my scores in the production areas with an end result of possibly get my material forwarded/signed/used. If you're inclined to help; how can I improve? I have 4 samples listed with myspace done on my older equipment; www.myspace.com/soundkeyzproductionsThe song "Instrumental Blues" wasn't really written with a purpose for commercial-base use; it was a project born from inspiration and working with a talented tenor sax player. I posted it because I could see some uses with clips from it. The rest, however, are purposed for commercial-base use. Regardless of their purpose, I know I can learn how to better produce a project, and I invite any and all feedback to grow on.In advance, thank you so much for your time and input. Sincerely,bluezcruizer

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: trying to become a better producer

Post by davewalton » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:03 pm

Quote:I'm a new member (less than 1 yr) to TAXI, and have selectively posted about 5 different songs from my catalog. I'm getting pretty decent scores on my music, but am getting consistent feedback that my production quality is lacking, as well as some songs using older patches.I've since upgraded my system (software, hardware, and VST's) and am really happy with the technical abilities I have with the new machine; which took care of the "older patches" feedback.If you're inclined to help; how can I improve? I have 4 samples listed with myspace done on my older equipment; www.myspace.com/soundkeyzproductionsHey Bluezcruizer,No doubt, having quality sounds that are on par with the sounds from working composers is key. It's hard enough and not having the right sounds just takes us out of the running altogether regardless of our composing skills. I would be happy to comment but if the samples you posted on MySpace were using your older equipment, then any comments would be pretty much irrelavent. Do you have something done with your new equipment?What did you wind up getting BTW and of what you got, what do you like best so far?Dave

bluezcruizer

Post by bluezcruizer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:27 pm

Thank you for responding. I've just upgraded my hardware and software and am still playing with it to learn how to use, so I've not gotten anything just yet from the new gear ready to submit to the copyright office.I had thought about that as I was posting (relevancy). I concluded that although someone's only as good as their gear (granted, not a hard truth), the flip side is how they use the gear to make the magic happen. I didn't know if anyone had some insight into how I could better use the gear; either with the new or with the old equipment. OR, was how I used the gear good enough and my true issue was the patches and "old gear" limitations? Do you agree? If you feel it's best to hold off until I can post something with the new equipment, I'll be happy to do so. Truthfully, I'm happy with any response and help that I can get. Thank you very much in advance for any advice you shoot my way. I hope that someday somehow I can return the favor. To answer the question regarding gear; I found someone who believed in me enough to say "here's some money, get the best you can find so it has some shelf-life to it." A blessing from God; hopefully not my last. I think I went a little overkill, but go as far as you can when you get the chance, right? I went to rainrecording and got a tower that consists of:-2.66 GHz Quad Core Xeon processor-4 GB RAM (only 2 are usable now, but as VSTs and production software catches up to Vista, I'll eventually be able to make use of the other 2 GB)-Win XP Pro-5 Harddrives; 1 for O/S, other 4 set up in 2 sets of RAID drives...first set for the DAW and the second set for Sample/VST streaming-RME Fireface 400-SONAR Producer Edition 6.2.1-For VSTs: Vienna Symphonic Library stuff, East West Symphony and Choir package, BFD Drums (giving me trouble right now), Ivory piano, Atmosphere, Muse, Rapture, amoung others. -For mastering: Ozone 3, Samplitude, and Wavelab-For video realestate: 2 22" flatscreen LCDs running as one (got one hell of a deal for those)This is tied to some existing gear: 2 Rokit 8s with the Rokit 10s subwoofer (the subwoofer really helps me balance the EQ to the extent that what I hear when recording is what I get in my stereo (car, boom box, etc)). For comparison's sake, my old gear: -P3-1.17Ghz processor using 2 GB RAM-2 harddrives (EIDE); one for the o/s and the other for everything else.-Using a Tascam US122 (USB) controller/interface-CUBASE DAW software-Kontakt 2 (transfered to the new system to run some of the Vienna stuff)I definitely like the upgrade. No hiccups whatsoever in regular operations. The Ivory VST is simply the best stuff I've ever run into for piano, and the Vienna symphony library has gotten everything else I've run into beat handsdown. I'm having issues with the BFD premium software; working with their support. They want me to downgrade to fix, which doesn't quite make sense.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:17 pm

hi blues,I just listened to a couple of tracks on your myspace site & went quickly through your list of equipment.I'd say what you need is to improve your know how on the production site: how to program drums that they groove for example, how to mix a complete arrangement, mastering.there are several ways to achieve this. personally I did "try and error"; I listened to recordings I like, tried to analyze what is going on, and to re-build that in my own recordings. plus I read some books & articles, e.g. to understand the technical AND musical side of effects like a compressor.good luck,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

bluezcruizer

Post by bluezcruizer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:01 am

Hi Gitarrero,Thank you for your time and response. Any specific books you might recommend that you've read before?Thank you!BC

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:12 am

Quote:Hi Gitarrero,Thank you for your time and response. Any specific books you might recommend that you've read before?Thank you!BCmost of them are in german, so that won't be of any use I guess.what I've found really helpfull at that stage was to understand *why* a compressor is used, and what the sonical action of it is.I remember that this was a workshop in a magazine, the autor also wrote a book - his name is uli eisele. maybe you'll find an english version?

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Post by avillaronga » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:38 am

Hi bluezcruizer,I listened to your stuff and I think it is partly the old sounding samples. I can see how tracks like "Glorious" or "A Lilly Weeps" might sound 100 times better with more realistic orchestral samples (the Vienna Symphonic stuff should really help there, from what I've heard). But the other side is that the new, better sounds may make other shortcomings a bit more obvious. As Martin said, the mix and production can be adjusted to make it sound more broadcast-ready, while the old sounding stuff may contribute to it not sounding on par with what's on TV or films, it also sounded to me like the mix could be better in terms of the placement of instruments on the stereo spectrum or compression in some areas where the high pitched samples went a bit over everything else. Those are little details that can make a track sound much more professional if correctly addressed. There is also, to my ears, an issue with the way some of the MIDI programming is quantized: there are parts (on the piano track specially) when there is a weird sounding effect of two notes played very fast and very artificial, it lacks the real feeling of a human playing the piano. If you are using quantization on your MIDI tracks, I would try to use it more judiciously, add more feeling to it. A lot of sequencers have a "humanize" feature that can help a lot. If you are playing the track and then quantize it, I would only quantize some areas where most needed, not the whole track. This may just be a matter of taste, you may be aiming for that perfect timing but I'm just giving you an opinion of how it felt when I listened. You can hear what I'm talking about on the piano track on "Lilly": at around 10 secs. there is a note on the piano that sounds (musically) like it is supposed to be a grace note but the way it is programmed, sounds like the note is sticking out on its own. When that same line repeats at around 38 secs. the slur sounds much more natural and the note in question does not stick out. It's a tiny detail, I know, but if I noticed it then someone else listening may notice it too and decide they don't like the track. Always give yourself the best shot at it by decreasing the number of little details like that which can stick out on an otherwise perfectly recorded track. And I say that because this is something I'm still learning myself and I have found that paying attention to tiny details like that can greatly improve your compositions overall. I hope this helps. Please post your stuff when you record something with the new gear. It would be really interesting to hear these same tracks with the new stuff and compare and contrast.Regards,Antonio

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:00 am

Remastering, or editing arrangements you're familiar with will help the learning curve, but as soon as you're comfortable, start tracking something new. Use the "Quick Start" references that are usually included and make sure your tracks are clean and punchy. I don't know much about the monitors you're using, but if you're getting great sound from various speaker environments then you're on your way to improving your production.best,bc

bluezcruizer

Post by bluezcruizer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:10 am

Busy weekend; unable to get on until now. Thanks everyone! Those are some real helpful pointers. I'll redo one of the songs and post it. If I can't get it to attach to the post, I'll put it back into myspace in place of the old version.As with most home composers, I am unfortunately part time with a full time job outside the home, but I'll get it posted either way as soon as I can get it done. I'm eager to hear how you would recommend "bettering" (is that a word?) my production technique using the song as an example. Thanks everyone! I really truly appreciate the feedback. bluezcruizer

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:06 am

@bluez: just a quick note to "part time composer". I think I can perfectly understand where you're going through since I used to be in the same situation (40 h/week job, 2 evenings/week in education + homework, girlfriend and..... ah yeah, some goals with my music;)what I'd suggest is to take the time to clear what your goals are, and than lay down a plan how you think you'll achieve them. a simple project plan will do it - your objectives need to be measurable, specific and achievable.it's easy to get lost on the way to our goals, so write it quickly down and setup a plan is a very worthy investement of time & energy.hope that helps,martin