Trying to make it as a media composer ?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PhilRey
Impressive
Impressive

Trying to make it as a media composer ?

Post by PhilRey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:18 pm

You'd better face some realities. & The sooner the better!

This video (vlog) is from Christian Henson, a brillant succefull UK composer (example: the TV serie "Hercule Poirot" with David Suchet among other brillant works) and CEO of Spitfire (the now famous sound library). The comment section of the video is also very intersting to read if you have time.

(clic on the picture)

What are your thoughts folks?

On my side, being 53, I found it scary to be honest, but at the same time very realistic. A little bit like facing a very accurate mirror and seing your face for the first time. The psychhological impact can be difficult to manage, but it's always better than not to look at the mirror right ?

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Trying to make it as a media composer ?

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:32 am

Can the bumblebee fly? If a career is what you want, you just have to work the best way you can, don't you. There are no valid predictions of the future, and you can't just plan these things. So this type of information makes absolutely no sense to me, allthough there certainly are some truth to the stories told.
Ceo of my own life

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:44 am

I discovered several years ago that I really loved to plant flowers trees, and shrubs... Someone suggested I start a landscaping business. There's no way. I loved doing it for myself, for my enjoyment, not to plant what others dictated. There's a difference between a hobby and a business.
If you're young, there's a better chance of the music you make and want to make is current or in vogue, when you get older, there's less a chance your music is in sync with the times. If the part about composing you love is creating music that fits a situation, rather than creating music that is of the kind that you could sit and listen to on it's own merit, then you will probably be more successful as a media composer. Maybe it's like the difference between a mechanic and an engineer that designs engines. One finds fulfillment in fixing engines, the other in designing an engine. Both are still problem solvers.
There are two types of composers, sometimes one in the same, there's the composer that creates the melody, and then there's the arranger. Most people probably first want to create the melody and less about arranging.
I think the video was realistic, yes, good video. More of a downer if you want to fit your compositions into the media really than if
you compose for what they want.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Pretty realistic, for those who see it as a choice.

For those of us who dont see it as a choice, being realistic is “we’ll get there when we get there”.