Tunesat

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Tunesat

Post by SubRivers » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:18 am

I have been uploading full and no lead/bed versions of each track on the basis that Tunesat will need them detect if either are used.

But I am wondering if only the bed version is required - the full version is basically the bed + lead and Tunesat already detects music behind other sounds - but maybe not musical sounds.

Wondering if anyone has had any detections of a full track usage via a bed version?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Tunesat

Post by Casey H » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm

To maximize chances of proper detection, you really need both. Tunesat creates digital signatures to detect music files and it's possible that a track with vocal will not have the same signature as without.

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:10 pm

I have treated it the same way till now, I upload both.

I am just curious if Tunesat can detect the signature of a bed track inside a full track - suspect overlaying musical (i.e. tuned vs noise/voice) content will defeat the algorithm.

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Please pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question.

Is the purpose of Tunesat / SourceAudio type applications simply for personal tracking? Or do the PROs like ASCAP / BMI actually pay royalties based on the metrics provided by these services? I've been thinking of joining SourceAudio but I'm not sure of the benefits at this point.

Cheers,

-vic
* Vocals / Lryics / Songwriting / Arrangement
* https://www.facebook.com/ClassOf82QC/
"It's the gear, not the ear." ~Beethoven

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Unstar wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm
Please pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question.

Is the purpose of Tunesat / SourceAudio type applications simply for personal tracking? Or do the PROs like ASCAP / BMI actually pay royalties based on the metrics provided by these services? I've been thinking of joining SourceAudio but I'm not sure of the benefits at this point.

Cheers,

-vic
Tunesat's sole purpose is tracking/detecting. As far as I know, BMI and ASCAP DO NOT accept Tunesat detections as proof of placements, as they can be quite faulty and unreliable. Tunesat is simply for YOU to see where/when your music is getting used, and what tracks are getting used of course.

SourceAudio does have a tracking/detection feature, but that's not it's main function. It's just a benefit. SourceAudio is more, to the best of my understanding, suited for libraries and composers who pitch their own catalogs. It is where libraries will host their catalogs and where their clients download the tracks and all that. They can watermark and track their music via SourceAudio's detection software. Although I've heard from one of my publishers that it is pretty finicky too as it's been missing lots of placements.

Not sure you need a SourceAudio account at this point in your career - maybe down the road if you build up your own catalog it would be worth it. But if all you want is a service to track some of your music - Tunesat is what you're looking for.

Also worth mentioning SourceAudio does have a free option as well - I don't think that has any uploading/tracking abilities though. The only reason I have a free SourceAudio account is so that I can login and view certain catalogs - some publishers keep them private and you need to request access to them.

This is all based on my experience - so don't anyone hesitate to correct me if you're reading this and spot a mistake. In fact, please do inform me so I can learn :)

HTH

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:46 am

Thanks for your insight. You're right. SourceAudio looks cool but it's definitely a bit much for my minuscule "catalog". I will look into Tunesat. They track a small number of songs for free for a month.
* Vocals / Lryics / Songwriting / Arrangement
* https://www.facebook.com/ClassOf82QC/
"It's the gear, not the ear." ~Beethoven