Turn Your Tracks into Triumphs with Collaboration on TAXI TV

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TAXILIZ
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Turn Your Tracks into Triumphs with Collaboration on TAXI TV

Post by TAXILIZ » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:41 pm

Turn Your Tunes into Triumphs With Collaboration On This Week's TAXI TV!

Click the link below to watch LIVE on Monday at 4 PM Pacific!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOtcduNmI6s

7 pm Eastern (EDT) / 6 pm Central (CDT) / 4 pm Pacific (PDT) 12 am London (BST) / 9 am Sydney (AEST)

Dear Songwriters, Composers, Artists, and Producers,

Casey Hurowitz probably wouldn’t have these placements if he didn’t collaborate: 60 placements on The Young and the Restless (CBS), Chicago Fire (NBC), Salvation (CBS), The Night Shift (NBC), The Originals (CW), and Legacies (CW).

Is Casey so bad that he can’t create great music on his own? No! He just knows what he’s good at, and what he’s not so good at. Toplining is his strong suit, engineering and production, not so much ;-)

I really can’t think of any TAXI member who so wonderfully exemplifies why collaboration is such a powerful tool. And there are so many of you reading this email who know you should be collaborating, but you don’t!

“Why not?” is the question!

You don’t know who to collaborate with, or how to find somebody who’s a good fit? You’re afraid a collaborator might steal your ideas? You don’t want to split the income? You don’t know how the process works?

Well, we’re going to help you figure all that out, and much more in this week’s episode of TAXI TV. Casey is a font of incredibly valuable information when it comes to collaborating, and I’m going to pry every ounce of that info out of him, and hand it to you on a silver platter!

If you’ve ever had the urge to collaborate, but don’t know how to get started or how the process works, you really shouldn’t miss this week’s episode of TAXI TV!

Click the link below to watch LIVE on Monday at 4 PM Pacific!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOtcduNmI6s

To Join the Live Chat During the Broadcast…

You’ll need to be signed up to YouTube (FREE) and be logged in to be able to join in on the chat during the show. Go to youtube.com and click the "Sign In" link in the upper right-hand corner of the page and fill out the short form to join. If you have a Gmail account, you’ll be able to associate your YouTube account with it!

7 pm Eastern (EDT) / 6 pm Central (CDT) / 4 pm Pacific (PDT) 12 am London (BST) / 9 am Sydney (AEST)

See you on the show,
Michael

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Turn Your Tracks into Triumphs with Collaboration on TAXI TV

Post by Casey H » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:40 am

Hope to see you guys there! :D 8-)

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:33 pm

I just caught the replay. well done, casey!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:27 am

Casey H wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:40 am
You need a light !

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:44 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:27 am
Casey H wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:40 am
You need a light !
Yup! I added 3 lights, 2 clip ons to the top of my laptop and one desk lamp pointing at me. But I think the camera on my laptop was doing something funky. But I looked my best as a "?" anyway. :lol:

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:56 am

Last edited by crashgates on Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:51 am

Crashgates
I'll respond if you are willing to keep the conversation respectful and professional and not respond with attacks on Taxi, people, or memes. Some of the financial questions get too personal, especially since they not only involve me, they involve others and I need to respect their privacy.

If you watched the show last night, a few points were made:

(1) At the end of the show, Michael and I mentioned that I am different than many folks in that I have never been in this for profit, to make a livable income at it, etc. It's a hobby for me and I do it for the pure joy of seeing the songs I create on TV. I've never made a secret of this and in fact, did a passenger profile interview a while back on that very subject.

(2) In our discussion about how to find collaborators, we talked about the impression you make to others on the forum, acting like a professional, etc. If you are interested in collaborating or even hiring other members you meet here, you need to bring to the table something musical/lyrical and more importantly, professionalism so that others wouldn't shy away from working with you. I hope you can turn that around here by approaching things differently. If collaboration is not of interest to you, than that's OK but there's no point in discussing this on a thread about collaboration.

(3) Michael mentioned on the show that some members who have been around a long time (20 years for me here), have well established library contacts they are busy with and therefore don't submit much to listings anymore or even keep up their memberships. They've "graduated". I'm in that category. I keep up my membership, submit occasionally, but only write to listings now and then. And in those cases, I find a collaborator who is committed to the 3-4 week turn around. It's usually an instrumental in those situations as vocal songs are way more complicated. I may come up with an idea for a piano instrumental, a blues instrumental, etc., sketch it out in Band In A Box (not broadcast quality at that point) and send it to my collaborator.

(4a) On your question of percent workload, that varies all over the board from 10/90 to 90/10 and everything in between. For example, I have 50/50 splits where I wrote an entire song, chords, melody, words, etc. which was very involved. My collab partner, did the entire production, also a tremendous amount of work. I remember a collab I did (50/50 split) where my co-writer had written a few lines of a song and I took it and ran with it as far as the rest of the songwriting. We then hired out the production. These were most often not in the 3-4 week time frame for a listing. As I mentioned, most of what I do now goes directly to my "go to" music libraries.

(4b) It's about building collaborative relationships which hopefully will produce many tracks. So I might do most of the work on one, my partner most of the work on another, etc. The way Lennon and McCartney worked is a good analogy, though none of us are in that category of talent. ;)

HTH
:D Casey

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:16 am

Last edited by crashgates on Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:54 am

crashgates wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:16 am
You're welcome but could you please say "thank you" without the memes?

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:35 pm

Casey & Michael,

Thanks for (another) great Taxi TV, very interesting ...

Heavy emphasis on collaboration, creating drafts with Band In The Box, partnering or outsourcing the production, priority on personal fulfillment more than the bottom line, a long time member / giving back to the community via the Forum & Road Rally classes, often producing full songs (in addition to instrumentals), sometimes only writing the lyrics, wide variety of placements

... and I might add doing it all with humor & positivity

I hope we'll see a Casey sequel

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper