"Turning Pages" Emotional, Melancholic Piano Instrumental (Complete Revision)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

"Turning Pages" Emotional, Melancholic Piano Instrumental (Complete Revision)

Post by johndalenow » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:48 pm

Reverb OK? All comments welcomed.

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... al_sharing

EMOTIONAL PIANO INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a hard-working Music Library that's landing tons of placements in TV and Film.

NOTE: This Library is BRAND NEW to requesting music from TAXI, so this is a great opportunity to create a new, ongoing relationship for your music with an awesome company whose catalog you're probably not in, yet!

This Company is on the hunt for emotional Instrumentals in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

"Lost In Island" by Yiruma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIewioW_4mw

"Blazing" by Korey Banks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlABHrl0gFU

"At the Ivy Gate" by Brian Crain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axRT1mhm_3M

"Laetitia" by Ron Adelaar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOMDLcANU-k

Please submit top-notch, original Instrumentals that feature piano as their ONLY instrumentation. Your submissions should evoke a strong emotional vibe and sound that could tug at listener's heartstrings. Captivating melodies and engaging arrangements that take listeners on a dynamic and heartfelt journey are a must. Your production should be polished and if you choose to use any virtual instruments or samples, they need to be high-quality and indistinguishable from the real thing.

TAXI Tip: Leaning on the more melancholy side of the emotional spectrum could give your pieces an added edge.

Your submissions should be roughly 2 to 3 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This client will likely want 30 and 60-second versions as well, so please have these on-hand and ready to send them within an hour if the client contacts you.

This Library offers an EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal, so the material you submit for this request CANNOT be signed with other publishers or catalogs. The specific deal points will be handled directly with the company. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Tuesday, December 6th, 2022. TAXI # S221206EM
Last edited by johndalenow on Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Turning Pages" Emotional, Melancholic Piano Instrumental

Post by AlanHall » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:09 pm

I just watched "Yo Paulie"s video assessment of this very listing
video-for-new-members-how-to-read-taxi- ... 50120.html
and found it enlightening.

I like your piece, but there's a slapback / early reflections kind of double attack I hear that sounds a bit unnatural to me. Is that the reverb?

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: "Turning Pages" Emotional, Melancholic Piano Instrumental

Post by johndalenow » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:09 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:09 pm
I just watched "Yo Paulie"s video assessment of this very listing
video-for-new-members-how-to-read-taxi- ... 50120.html
and found it enlightening.

I like your piece, but there's a slapback / early reflections kind of double attack I hear that sounds a bit unnatural to me. Is that the reverb?
You are absolutely correct. I somehow left "on" what should have been turned "off." I appreciate your catching the error. I'll change-out the previous one in my post, as well, Here's the new take:

Last edited by johndalenow on Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Turning Pages" Emotional, Melancholic Piano Instrumental (Reverb Revised)

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:12 am

Did you watch Paulie's video, and note his observations, particularly on how all the tracks start high but get bigger as they develop by introducing lower left hand parts (the opposite to this track), and also the reverb sounds? Paulie highlights them for a reason, and it really is worth spending more time prepping (more reading and listening) before touching an instrument. I'm sure we've all been guilty of jumping in, convinced we've 'got it', when in reality we've been hasty.

So, my suggestions would be to re-jig this track with the simple and sparse high part first, followed up by the fuller, busier parts later. Also, although the piano sounds good (to me at least) getting the emotion by getting the ambience right is also important. Listen to the refs again and watch the video (again?) to get a sense of how the ambience helps the emotional impact. Then try and find a setting that works for your track (either built-in to the VST or a good reverb plugin).

Others can offer better feedback than I can on the composition and playing.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: "Turning Pages" Emotional, Melancholic Piano Instrumental (Reverb Revised)

Post by johndalenow » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:36 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:12 am
Did you watch Paulie's video, and note his observations, particularly on how all the tracks start high but get bigger as they develop by introducing lower left hand parts (the opposite to this track), and also the reverb sounds? Paulie highlights them for a reason, and it really is worth spending more time prepping (more reading and listening) before touching an instrument. I'm sure we've all been guilty of jumping in, convinced we've 'got it', when in reality we've been hasty.

So, my suggestions would be to re-jig this track with the simple and sparse high part first, followed up by the fuller, busier parts later. Also, although the piano sounds good (to me at least) getting the emotion by getting the ambience right is also important. Listen to the refs again and watch the video (again?) to get a sense of how the ambience helps the emotional impact. Then try and find a setting that works for your track (either built-in to the VST or a good reverb plugin).

Others can offer better feedback than I can on the composition and playing.
Telefunkin,

Thanks for your feedback. Here is an update based on your suggestions:

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "Turning Pages" Emotional, Melancholic Piano Instrumental (Complete Revision)

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:47 am

IMHO that works a lot better now. The intimate close sound is nice, although you still have the option to tweak the reverb to try a touch more sense of space space should you wish to experiment and maximise the emotional impact. Good luck with the submission! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: "Turning Pages" Emotional, Melancholic Piano Instrumental (Complete Revision)

Post by johndalenow » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:49 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:47 am
IMHO that works a lot better now. The intimate close sound is nice, although you still have the option to tweak the reverb to try a touch more sense of space space should you wish to experiment and maximise the emotional impact. Good luck with the submission! :)
Thank you sincerely for your response and valued help.

Best,

John