Two Deals

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Two Deals

Post by spariam » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:01 pm

Likewise - congrats on the deals. I've been considering RA as well (ad actually being somewhat of an "ethnic" style musician/composer).Taxi has been great for me (I did send one e-mail a while back)...I've gotten a lot of forwards since I joined last year, but more important, I've made some deals, met some really cool people here, and even did one collab...I read a lot of forums, but post to few. This one is the best.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:56 pm

Yeah Chuck!Nice stuff! You have a good feel for the ethnic styles! Congrats on the deals! Being a jazz guy myself I'd like to think that the jazz mind lends itself to being open to other styles and fosters the ability to hear and emulate other types of non-western "exotic" music. Maybe I'm just channelllng my old jazz snob persona No matter how you got there it's great to see things happening!Not to be a cheerleader for East West but I must say RA RA RA because it's a pretty cool library. Obviously you've learned how to manipulate it very well it to meet your goals. The "raw" sounds are up to East West standards which are very high, that's why I use their stuff. I'm partial to the Baritone violin instrument. It's got some great bends as part of the samples and it works great through effects as well. Not something you hear every day and it gives an exotic taste that's not necessarily evocative of any specific culture. The Middle Eastern String Ensemble is quite cool as well, I used it in my Armenian pitch Dervish Dance. Now I've given away all my secrets! Keep up the good work man!MazzPS: Do you find a lot of use for MOTU Ethnic Instrument? I've considered it, just haven't heard that much feedback on it. As much as I am a die hard MOTU guy I haven't really made the move toward their instruments.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:51 am

Mazz,Thanks for the comments and giving away some secrets.The MOTU Ethnic Instrument has some very cool loops that you drop and drag into your sequencer. There are melodic loops as well as rhythmic loops. The loops sync to tempo and I've found them to be a good starting point to set the mood of an ethnic piece. The melodic loops have built in inflections and sound very good. I have had some minor issues with the dongle and related software. I do prefer the challenge/response approach.I also like Ethno World Three Complete. They have sampled alot of instruments that are not in RA. It also uses the Kompact interface.I still use EMU's Planet Earth modules as well. These are probably floating around on Ebay on occasion.Between these tools and RA I can cover alot of the world.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:56 am

Congrats and Best of Luck!!You've won "Deal or No Deal" twice!, LOL... Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:09 am

BTW, a great way to get forwards and placements (inside and outside of TAXI) is to have some rather unique things in your catalog. For example, when there is a film/TV call for something that has the sound of a particular place in the world (Middle-East, Asia, whatever), the competition is generally less stiff. That doesn't mean your work doesn't have to be VERY good, it still does. But you are competing in a smaller field. Damn, where'd I put that Sitar I used to practice "Norwegian Wood" on? Casey

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:54 am

Casey,Thanks for your comments and congrats to you on your recent posting of success. I do enjoy coming up with music that's out of my comfort zone.The recent Dispatch listing for Armenian music was an interesting challenge.(Dave and I were both forwarded on that one)I can't help to think that as the world gets smaller and smaller that we'll see opportunities to conjure up all kinds of unusual combinations of ethnic music and contemporary styles.Thanks again.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington