Two forwards for retro pizz. strings S210324KT

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cantilena
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Two forwards for retro pizz. strings S210324KT

Post by cantilena » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:13 pm

Hi everyone! I'm really happy to report that I submitted two pizzicato string pieces to Opportunity S210324KT, https://www.taxi.com/listings/S210324KT, and they were both forwarded! Not only that, about 24 hours later I heard from the client that they wanted to add my tracks to their library!! I'll post my deal separately, but am so excited I had to mention it here too. :D

Here are links to the tracks if you'd like to listen. I worked about 2 weeks on these, and was really happy with how they turned out:

Your Shoe's Undone
Trip to Tahiti

Andrew Gilpin

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Two forwards for retro pizz. strings S210324KT

Post by Merryband1 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:49 pm

Congratulations, Andrew! Both your pieces are just delightful, and fit right in with the references! Bravo!

Merry :)

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JuanMacias » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:00 am

Congrats Andrew!! those are very cool tracks.

I'm curious about what sample library are your strings from?

Juan

cantilena
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by cantilena » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:28 am

Merryband1 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:49 pm
Congratulations, Andrew! Both your pieces are just delightful, and fit right in with the references! Bravo!

Merry :)
Thanks so much, Merry! Thanks for listening. :)
Andrew Gilpin, Composer/Arranger/Pianist / @CanadaComposer
Keys for Ukraine ~ Visit my site and help me send aid to Ukraine!
My TAXI Member Page

cantilena
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by cantilena » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:36 am

JuanMacias wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:00 am

Juan
Thanks so much, Juan! I appreciate the feedback.

Great question about the library. I used Symphony Series String Ensemble from Native Instruments, plus Symphonic Orchestra and Hollywood Strings from East West.

In order to get a more realistic sound of live musicians all plucking at slightly different times, I manually recorded 15 different string tracks in real time (4 Vn. 1, 4 Vn. 2, 4 Vla., 3 Vc.) and did NOT quantize them. The only tracks with quantize on are percussion and bass. Winds were recorded manually as well.

I also drew in CC curves manually on EVERY string track (no copying) for more realistic expression. Time-consuming? Oh, yeah. lol. Worth it, though. This approach gives you subtle differences that the old copy-and-paste won't.

Obviously, doing things this way won't work for an EDM track, lol, but for something from this time period, that human touch is essential.

What kind of music are you working on for TAXI right now?

~Andrew~
My TAXI Member Page

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:53 pm

Wow, I'm impressed with all the work that went into those tracks, Andrew! It was definitely worth it, though. Using all the different libraries together really made it sound like a live orchestra! I'll keep that in mind for the day when I can afford more virtual instruments! I really love the effects you got. Thanks for sharing your technique, too, as well as the tracks! I really hope the library picks these up, right away!

Merry

Peterg
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Peterg » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:51 am

Fantastic sound and composition. Sounds like a lot of work went into it but it really paid off!

Peter

cantilena
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by cantilena » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:20 pm

Merryband1 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:53 pm
Wow, I'm impressed with all the work that went into those tracks, Andrew! It was definitely worth it, though. Using all the different libraries together really made it sound like a live orchestra! I'll keep that in mind for the day when I can afford more virtual instruments! I really love the effects you got. Thanks for sharing your technique, too, as well as the tracks! I really hope the library picks these up, right away!

Merry
For sure. Sometimes you experiment and hit on something that works, you know? It was my first time sequencing that kind of track, and I was going for as realistic as possible.

I know the VSTs can run into some serious $$$. East West at least has Composer Cloud, which you can pick up on sale fairly frequently. I was finally able to use that because I recently got unlimited internet so I can actually download the samples! lol. I live out in the country, and having high-speed and unlimited has been a long time coming.

I'm always happy to share how I do stuff. I'm learning all the time, and I GREATLY appreciate those people who throw up 3-hour YouTube videos about making trailer music, or using Cubase, or whatever else. We're all in this together!

~Andrew~
My TAXI Member Page

cantilena
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by cantilena » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:23 pm

Peterg wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:51 am
Fantastic sound and composition. Sounds like a lot of work went into it but it really paid off!

Peter
Thank you, Peter! Yeah, after a while I felt like I was going overboard and spending TOO much time on these, but they did the trick.

The composition was a lot of fun. I don't always get to write those kind of melodies that were popular decades ago (might not work for dramedy! lol) but I love to do it when I can.

~Andrew~
My TAXI Member Page

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JuanMacias » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:50 am

cantilena wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:36 am
JuanMacias wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:00 am

Juan
Thanks so much, Juan! I appreciate the feedback.

Great question about the library. I used Symphony Series String Ensemble from Native Instruments, plus Symphonic Orchestra and Hollywood Strings from East West.

In order to get a more realistic sound of live musicians all plucking at slightly different times, I manually recorded 15 different string tracks in real time (4 Vn. 1, 4 Vn. 2, 4 Vla., 3 Vc.) and did NOT quantize them. The only tracks with quantize on are percussion and bass. Winds were recorded manually as well.

I also drew in CC curves manually on EVERY string track (no copying) for more realistic expression. Time-consuming? Oh, yeah. lol. Worth it, though. This approach gives you subtle differences that the old copy-and-paste won't.

Obviously, doing things this way won't work for an EDM track, lol, but for something from this time period, that human touch is essential.

What kind of music are you working on for TAXI right now?

~Andrew~
Hi Andrew! Right now I'm focus on listings requesting Edm/pop, Trap/Hiphop and dramedy instrumentals. I'm trying to perfect my craft on this 3 genres but lately I've been interested in trailer music. By the way; do you have any good recommendation of a good youtube tutorials in trailer music?

Juan