Two Tips from a Newbie!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bobbydazzler
Active
Active

Two Tips from a Newbie!

Post by bobbydazzler » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:27 pm

Interesting Weekend.....I returned home from my day job to find my house had been broken into and amongst other things my Laptop was stolen... I'm sure many of you will relate to this... I HAVE LOST ALL MY MUSIC!!!Tip #1 Make back ups... whether you suffer a hard drive melt down or some lowlife ransacks your house... its best to have back ups of your songs... I use(d) a program called Masterwriter... very effective at keeping ideas/demos/lyrics in one spot...but I got away from having hard copies.. notes etc... so I have lost literally months of work. And I am close to tears.. needless to say my debut song posting on the TAXI forum has been put back considerably!Tip #2 Play every gig as though its your last! I did just that with my band on Saturday... after 3 years of playing the club and pub scene in Sydney our Bass player is moving to Melbourne and I'm going to attempt to play solo.. and concentrate on writing... So we played.. not worrying about impressing anyone.. just rocking out... and it was THE BEST!Anyway... some good some bad... obviousley they were not musos who did my house over as they left my MBOX 2 and my Fender Tele Deluxe and Gibbo LP!! Unless of course they're coming back today while I'm at work! Although my house does resemble something like Fort Knox now... some may say I've been a little late on that one!Anyway Adios for now! Just some of the feelings I've had in the last 72 hours!

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Two Tips from a Newbie!

Post by horacejesse » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:46 pm

I sympathize with you keenly. The same thing happened to me two years ago. I was remiss in building Fort Knox too. I lost many songs but also the disks containing a novel. I went to a hypnotist to see if I could remember my own words that I had not seen for six years. No luck, this isn't the movies.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:49 pm

Tip #2: Don't be unwise enough to keep the backup copies in the same place as the originals!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. When another forum member's hard drive crashed two weeks ago, I got the external hard drive I purchased a couple of months ago -- and backed up both my drives! Now I just have to find a place to hide it I'm moving towards having a hard copy backup of everything too. I got some plastic envelopes from the dollar store.... I figure it would be a good idea to have an envelope for every completed song, with the lead sheet, paperwork (copyrights, releases), score (if any), and a DVD containing all dry individual tracks plus the final mix(es). [Also, you can upload every song to Broadjam & not make it visible, to store a mix there as well.]I hope they find your laptop!!!cheersH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:00 pm

Quote:Interesting Weekend.....I returned home from my day job to find my house had been broken into and amongst other things my Laptop was stolen... I'm sure many of you will relate to this... I HAVE LOST ALL MY MUSIC!!!!Wow that's just f***ed up. You have my sympathy man. Best of luck to you, I hope they find your laptop!

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:47 am

Bobby,That is some rotten luck you had. Everyone thinks about backing their stuff up and storing it in a safe place....but then get lazy, careless etc...he'll I'd be lost if someone knicked my gear and it's not even insured I don't know what genre of music you make, but maybe it was Little Micky Jackson who broke in...I hear he's on the look out for some new material. The fact they didn't steal the guitars makes me think it was micky...he can't play.Little word of advice...change your toothbrush immediately.

bobbydazzler
Active
Active

Post by bobbydazzler » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:01 pm

Hey guys and girls!Thanks!!!!Well good news is insurance is going to pay up... but bad news is a new laptop means starting from scratch! Oh well... maybe it is the Music God's way of saying..."y'know... those songs ain't much chop!"Toothbrush was changed immediatley Look at my pearly whites! Hope to post a demo song soon...... Thanks again guys and girls!Bob.