Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: UAD 1/2 favorite plugs

Post by jdhogg » Mon May 03, 2010 6:49 am

mazz wrote:
jh wrote:
The only thing is, I think you mean "pre fader". If it were post fader, you'd be changing the level of the entire track, but with pre fader, you would be able to dial in the amount of the uncompressed signal by riding the fader, but the compressed signal would always be heard. At least that's the way pre fader works on a "non virtual" mixer if I remember correctly! (some days better than others!! )
Ummm...I think you got the idea, but...

No, I didn´t mean pre-fader. :mrgreen: Pre fader means "before the fader" and post fader means "after the fader". And the whole idea is
that the compression is happening "after the fader". That way you can automate the signal before it gets to the compressor.
Usually vocals are so dynamic that a static setting doesn´t work that well.

- JH
I'm familiar with the terms, I'm just trying to understand the routing in your particular usage. I'm not a Cubase user either, in my Daw I can specify if a send is pre or post fader. So are you riding the send or the fader? Inquiring minds want to know!
The trick here is to stop the compressor working too hard and thus distorting the signal. So you take some of this work away from the compressor by control the gain (transparent) with the fader before it is fed into the compressor.

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Mon May 03, 2010 6:51 am

eeoo wrote:I lust after the UAD stuff but I have an imac, no pci slots...oh well. eo.
For compression the Softube stuff is at least as good imho.
Last edited by jdhogg on Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Mon May 03, 2010 7:03 am

rnrmachine wrote:I am jealous in a good way though, happy for you guys to have those. I do have some waves stuff that I use which I am glad to have. I will eventually get a UAD card, but I have to priortize until the royalty checks start to add up to something significant. hehe

I do have the SSL 4000 channel from waves, which I understand is in the UAD line up. Do any of you have both and can compare them? I do really like the Buss Comp too, that came with the package.

Rob
The SSL 4000 is better than the uad 4K imho.

Uad do great stuff but the alternatives eg softube are excellent. The big plus about uad was the increase in power....thats not so much of an issue now......the plugin quality is the dealmaker and uad do some great ones for sure eg fatso.

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jh » Mon May 03, 2010 8:26 am

The trick here is to stop the compressor working too hard and thus distorting the signal. So you take some of this work away from the compressor by control the gain (transparent) with the fader before it is fed into the compressor.
Exactly. Although, there´s more to it, than just that.

(Mazz, I just realized I didn´t mention that I was referring to insert slots. Sorry about that. :oops: )

But to further elaborate:

The routing is:
SIGNAL --> FADER --> COMPRESSOR

Another example:
MIC --> MIXER/FADER --> COMPRESSOR --> AD or TAPE
but in this case you have to ride the fader as you record.

In the old days they used to do that to get the best s/n ratio.

It´s not the same if you use the compressor as a send effect, because the DAW
will sum the signals together.

So basically, it´s like "manual compression" before the actual compressor.
The result is much smoother than just using two compressors in a row, and
you can "highlight" some cool nuances, add sustain or vice versa.
It´s amazing how you can change the whole feel of a performance with this "trick".

- JH

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jh » Mon May 03, 2010 9:05 am

uad do some great ones for sure eg fatso.
I wish I had a UAD-2. :cry:

btw. Is it subtle or "obvious"? I´ve tried a few tape sat
plug-ins and none of them are "furry" enough to my taste :D

Magneto is still the best tool for that in my arsenal.
(it´s a prehistoric Cubase plug-in, in case you´re wondering :mrgreen: )

- JH

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 pm

I don't really have any hardware units to compare the UAD plug ins to and, in fact, I don't have Waves plug ins to compare them to either. For me, they sound great and really give me a nice big punchy sound. Whether or not they're better than this or that plug in, etc., is meaningless to me because if they didn't sound good for what I do, I wouldn't use them. But they sound awesome to me and they inspire me, and that's all that matters.

I recommend the UAD plug ins and card because if one has a system that they can use it on, it takes some of the strain off of the CPU, which may or may not be an issue these days, but with all the VIs I run, even with my Mac Pro, it does becomes an issue, so it's working well for me! Besides that, I feel the plug ins sound great. Are they as good as the hardware or other plug ins? Maybe not, although I doubt I could hear the difference in my studio and again, I don't care because I can get the sounds I want from them and that's the point. When they turn the music down behind the voice over, that extra 1/2 db or added color probably won't matter much! 8-) 8-)

And the beat goes on!! :D :D
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon May 03, 2010 3:12 pm

jdhogg wrote:The big plus about uad was the increase in power....thats not so much of an issue now......the plugin quality is the dealmaker and uad do some great ones for sure eg fatso.
If you're doing big VI sessions it is still a BIG plus even with a very fast computer...

I don't have either SSL strip so I can't say anything about those specifically, but overall UAD compressors and EQ's beat the Waves stuff I own hands down, and Universal Audio is an extremely generous company and I've had only the best experience doing business with them.
Waves, not so much...WUP anybody?

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon May 03, 2010 4:26 pm

mazz wrote:
jh wrote:
The only thing is, I think you mean "pre fader". If it were post fader, you'd be changing the level of the entire track, but with pre fader, you would be able to dial in the amount of the uncompressed signal by riding the fader, but the compressed signal would always be heard. At least that's the way pre fader works on a "non virtual" mixer if I remember correctly! (some days better than others!! )
Ummm...I think you got the idea, but...

No, I didn´t mean pre-fader. :mrgreen: Pre fader means "before the fader" and post fader means "after the fader". And the whole idea is
that the compression is happening "after the fader". That way you can automate the signal before it gets to the compressor.
Usually vocals are so dynamic that a static setting doesn´t work that well.

- JH
I'm familiar with the terms, I'm just trying to understand the routing in your particular usage. I'm not a Cubase user either, in my Daw I can specify if a send is pre or post fader. So are you riding the send or the fader? Inquiring minds want to know!

The effect is sorta like riding the threshold level, if I'm understanding this properly.
Last edited by mojobone on Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

jh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jh » Tue May 04, 2010 1:00 am

The effect is sorta kike riding the threshold level, if I'm understanding this properly.
Yeah. I prefer riding the fader though since the "color/character" is
constantly changing if I´m riding the input (if I´m using 1176 that is).
But the idea is basically the same.

- JH

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Tue May 04, 2010 3:34 am

matto wrote:
jdhogg wrote:The big plus about uad was the increase in power....thats not so much of an issue now......the plugin quality is the dealmaker and uad do some great ones for sure eg fatso.
If you're doing big VI sessions it is still a BIG plus even with a very fast computer...

I don't have either SSL strip so I can't say anything about those specifically, but overall UAD compressors and EQ's beat the Waves stuff I own hands down, and Universal Audio is an extremely generous company and I've had only the best experience doing business with them.
Waves, not so much...WUP anybody?
Thats why I said "thats not SO much of an issue now." and not "not an issue". ;)

I dont have uad or waves though I have used them a lot at a friends studio. 1 year ago mixing the average song the uad had to be used or the pc would fall over. Since upgrading to a v fast quad core the cpu hit is only 50% so the uad is used less on the basis it only gets used when it is the best choice. eg plate reverb :D

Im not bashing uad Im just saying there are options especially on the compression side.

Not a massive fan of all the older waves stuff either but the ssl comp is very good.