with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

UAD Interfaces - Is it worth it?

Post by BradGray » Tue May 04, 2021 4:58 pm

Hey All!

In re-evaluating my setup, I've been doing some reading on the UAD interfaces, and wondering thoughts and experiences with them.

My current interface is a Focusrite 18i20, which I have absolutely no complaints about. In fact, if I were to pick up a UAD interface (likely a twin duo), I would still use the focusrite if I had to track a drum kit. But in my current workflow, I'm usually only doing 1-2 instruments at a time.

All that said, I've read that the big benefit of the UAD is the real-time tracking w/ plugins, as part of the recording, vs adding them in the DAW afterwards. It also sounds like the plug-ins are much better than others out there - but at a price.

Soooo - thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
Brad

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: UAD Interfaces - Is it worth it?

Post by eeoo » Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 pm

I have an apollo twin quad core and I love it. It's easy to drink the cool aid for sure so it's wise to go in with your eyes open. The plug ins are great but relatively expensive and resource hogs. Get as much processing power as you can afford. The tracking through the unison plugins is very cool and seamless. I'm enjoying the UAD thing.

philipmojbro
Active
Active

Post by philipmojbro » Wed May 05, 2021 3:45 am

I agree with eeoo. I use Apollo Twin and have been for a few years. Love it. I've probably paid too much (apollo twin, satellite octo and a bunch of really expensive plugins), but I'm also satisfied with my setup.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Wed May 05, 2021 8:24 am

I also have the Apollo twin and love it, solid plugins and service.