Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

UNMIXED Piano (w/just a little 'verb)

Post by johndalenow » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Comments, please?

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... 59d9e7c1a6

PIANO-Based UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Dispatch Listing #D210714UN , but the Library didn't find what they were looking for. If you submitted to listing #D210714UN, please send different material this time around.

NEW TIPS FROM THE LIBRARY TO HELP YOU NAIL THIS PITCH: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/giwu620ya5cw ... oF7la?dl=0

Quoting the Library: "We'd like to hear sophisticated, modern, pattern-based piano cues that are intimate, soft, and underscore-friendly. Structure-wise, make sure to both have a consistent composition and give the editors options to use ie: a dynamic section, build-up section, and more intense section. The key is to have different sections in terms of intensity, but NOT different in terms of harmony or 'new ideas.' Pianos often have quite a few resonances – so Dynamic EQs, Multiband compressors, different reverbs, etc. are very handy techniques to keep them from sounding muddy."

Please send well-composed piano-based Instrumentals that would work well as underscore for various scenes and scenarios. Craft your Cues around a singular motif/pattern, and create a sense of dynamics and forward momentum by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Your pieces can feature other instrumentation like strings, light percussion, acoustic guitar, etc., but piano should be the focus. Your production and any and all virtual instruments or samples you use should be super high-quality and modern.

TAXI Tip: Although this Company wants pattern-based instrumentals, please keep those patterns on the simple side. Remember, you're not trying to show off what an amazing piano player you are, so much as creating a vibe, feeling, and emotion, while leaving plenty of room for dialogue to be the focus.

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: This company has a strong preference for composers who understand music licensing companies and how typical music library deals are structured. If that's not you, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request.

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Saturday, November 6th, 2021. TAXI # S211106UN

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: UNMIXED Piano (w/just a little 'verb)

Post by AlanHall » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:47 pm

One thing that sticks out is the desire for "intimate, soft, and underscore-friendly" piano music. If it were mine, I'd tone down the piano patch (it seems a bit bright, compared to the first ref), and maybe kick the tempo back a click. Your track seems a bit more in-your-face than what I heard from the ref tracks. The structure and orchestration seemed spot-on to me. Good luck!

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 pm

I would agree with Alan about the piano patch, and would also recommend taking out the percussion (tambourine, etc.) The strings sound nice, and good work overall. Good luck with it! DK

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:47 pm
One thing that sticks out is the desire for "intimate, soft, and underscore-friendly" piano music. If it were mine, I'd tone down the piano patch (it seems a bit bright, compared to the first ref), and maybe kick the tempo back a click. Your track seems a bit more in-your-face than what I heard from the ref tracks. The structure and orchestration seemed spot-on to me. Good luck!
Thanks, Alan. Will do!

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:23 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 pm
I would agree with Alan about the piano patch, and would also recommend taking out the percussion (tambourine, etc.) The strings sound nice, and good work overall. Good luck with it! DK
Thank you, Doug. I appreciate your help. I'll make those changes.