Uplifting Alt Rock

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Uplifting Alt Rock

Post by themichaelscott » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:06 pm

UPLIFTING ALT ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a successful Production Music Library. They're eagerly looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the stylistic wheelhouse of acts like Walk The Moon, Awolnation, Imagine Dragons, etc. Give them melodic Instrumentals with an optimistic and anthemic vibe, and rockin' momentum that can help drive a scene forward. Some electro elements could work as long as they're tasteful and not the primary focus of your track. Please avoid anything that's moody or dark for this pitch. Keep your submissions inviting, lively, and fun. #S141002AR

I'm new to writing this style of rock but here's a shot:

https://soundcloud.com/michaelscottsounds/wake-me-up (original version)
https://soundcloud.com/michaelscottsounds/wake-me-up-1 (updated 9/5)

Still trying to sort out the lead guitar and steel drum part. Doesn't feel right but I like both parts separately. Probably too busy anyway.

Thanks,

Michael
Last edited by themichaelscott on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Uplifting Alt Rock

Post by Piewackit1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:23 am

I like your track but don't think it fits the listing. It doesn't sound like Alt rock a la Imagine Dragons to me.

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:01 pm

Thanks. I have a bad track record at happy rock songs but for some reason I keep trying to make it work.

Michael

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi Michael!

I like it and think it mostly works. I think it is close to AWOLNATION.

My main reservation about it is that the steel pan might be risky. While the steel pan is great for providing an uplifting feel and unexpected instruments can be found in most of the reference artists' music, I think it has very strong Carribean/Little Mermaid connotation that might put you outside the alt rock in the mind of the screener. I could definitely be wrong, but either way I'll bet you could maintain the uplifting vibe with a more conservative choice of percussion instrument such as piano or glockenspiel.
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks Dan, now I'll be singing Under The Sea all weekend! I'll try swapping the steel for something else, not sure why I haven't tried that yet. I think I got hooked on the sound and needed a push to give it up when it's not right for the track.

OttLukk, your approval is always nice, thanks.

Michael

themichaelscott
Impressive
Impressive

Post by themichaelscott » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:19 pm

I switched out the steel drum for something more subtle based on Dan's comments and referencing the sound on Imagine Dragon's "On Top Of The World". I think it's better but not sure if it's my final choice.
My most frequent comment on returns is "too busy" so that's always in the back of my mind as well.

New version:

https://soundcloud.com/michaelscottsounds/wake-me-up-1

Thanks,

Michael

ps. My half crustacean band is now looking for work. :D

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:56 pm

I like it and believe you’re in the ballpark now
Here´s just a few thoughts, I think the main guitar theme gets a little repetitive/stiff maybe you could add another instrument with some variations the second time or pause the guitar.
I believe there´s more anthemic potential in this track if you add and subtract some layers.
Did you try speeding it up just a little?

/Anders

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DanLuedke » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:17 am

Nice, Michael.

Just for the record, Little Mermaid rocks and I liked the steel drum but I think your new track is more on target.

I agree with Anders that the track could use a little more 'epic'. That is something I struggle with, so maybe somebody else can offer suggestions.
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

sguiles
Impressive
Impressive

Post by sguiles » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:06 pm

I like that distorted key bass. Are you doubling that with a real bass? I almost want to hear the live bass a little more (if it's in there, sorry, I'm not hearing it very strongly).

I think this is a fun track and in the vein of the alas. I agree about the steel drums. :)

The beat is excellent and the guitar riff in the intro is cool. It all builds up nicely. I dig it. :)
Steven Wesley Guiles | FB | Taxi | Tweety | NewCoolNow |

"You can't wait for inspiration.
You have to go after it with a club."
— Jack London