Uploading new audio file to member page

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Uploading new audio file to member page

Post by AlanHall » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:33 pm

... after it has been submitted for a listing.

I've read some conflicting opinions on how - or even if it's possible - to get a track revision to the screener BEFORE the listing date/time expires.

Specific case:
Tonight it is about 5 1/2hrs before the deadline for S221109MR. I just replaced the audio file on my member page, and then clicked on the 'pending submissions' link. The edit buttons are not visible. Is that proof positive that the files have been transferred to a screener's inbox and my latest version is orphaned? Or, since the edit button visibility seems to be a random and unpredictable thing (by accounts I have read) is there no inference to be drawn? I'd REALLY like to think that I can amend a submission up to the deadline, rather than wait to the last minute to make the submission and potentially forget what day it is :roll:

Any thoughts, comments, or technically correct answers welcome!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Uploading new audio file to member page

Post by Casey H » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:42 pm

From what I hear (not 100% sure), there is no way to be sure your updated track will be the one reviewed. Don't depend on anything! Instead, set a date/time reminder on whatever device you use and get your mix done by the deadline.

Meeting deadlines is part of this business. In the "real" world (outside of Taxi), there are no do-overs. You get your track to the library or client on time and hope for the best.

So, lose the crutch and do it like a pro. JMHO :D

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:41 am

Alan,

I am not 100% sure either but I believe that the edit button won't be visible when it's so close to the deadline as the screeners might already have already started the listening process, especially if there is an overwhelming amount of submissions for that particular listing. I am pretty sure I've heard ML mention this in a TaxiTV episode but it has been a while so don't quote me on that :)

Having said that, I completely agree with Casey as deadlines are a crucial part of the business so you shouldn't submit something unless you stand behind it completely, at least at that moment in time.
As a result I sometimes submit to Taxi listings minutes before the deadline! Not a brilliant idea either in case your internet connection decides to bail on you but in the case I am uncertain of the mix, or I've worked too much and my ears need a break before re listening, then I find it's better to submit later than submit something you are not 100% sure of. Again the ideal is to submit comfortably a day before or so ( this is also good practice when it comes to working with libraries) but sometimes things can happen when you are maybe biting more than you can chew and you end up dangerously close to a deadline in which case I personally go with what I just described.

Hope it helps and good luck.
Owen

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:25 am

I understand and agree completely on all points. But I am rethinking my tactic of submitting immediately upon finishing what I think is my final mix, which in this case was several days ago. Two of the three tracks were fine, but one had a few things I wanted to tweak upon repeated listening (yeah, I know, repeated listening - as if I actually liked the stuff I write :o ). But if the listing closes for me six hours or more early just because I appear to be ready, then that doesn't really seem fair.

Not a big deal in this case.

Regards,
Alan

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:33 am

Where did that SIX HOURS come from? You live in Ohio and listings close based on Pacific Time. That actually gives you 3 MORE hours than if you lived on the West Coast. Unless I'm wrong about where you live now.

No need to submit as soon as finished if a few days before. Make your own deadline 24 hours before and use device and/or PC calendar reminders. Then get it in. Also, in most cases, those minor tweaks are meaningless to forward/return. It's usually something else we aren't even thinking about.

:D Casey

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:38 am

Casey H wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:33 am
Where did that SIX HOURS come from? You live in Ohio and listings close based on Pacific Time. That actually gives you 3 MORE hours than if you lived on the West Coast. Unless I'm wrong about where you live now.

No need to submit as soon as finished if a few days before. Make your own deadline 24 hours before and use device and/or PC calendar reminders. Then get it in. Also, in most cases, those minor tweaks are meaningless to forward/return. It's usually something else we aren't even thinking about.

:D Casey
Right. It was about 9PM EST when I uploaded the revision. And I will give myself time to do a final FINAL review before submitting in the future. Thanks for your advice (here and almost everywhere on the forum!).

3Seas
Active
Active

Post by 3Seas » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:46 pm

I can't say this is the way it is but if a piece has some minor glitch easy to fix, remember mp3 is not what will ultimately be used and a library may make a request, such as stems (noting any effects applied to the mix won't produce exactly just the stem part of the effect - an effect does not influence by the full mix.)

Of course, it's all about the screener's decision to forward or not. This is where developing a reputation for producing signed works and being productively flexible with client requests helps.

Hey, don't listen to me, I'm a newbie and only recently submitted my first submission. I can only rely on all I have taken in from Taxi TV and more. I figure 5 years is the general reputation marker.