We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Calling all Urban Dramedy pros!

Post by harperpeterson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 am

Hey, everyone!
I was hoping to get some feedback / initial thoughts on this cue. This is a rough first mix, mostly have adjusted for levels and some panning. Does it fit the listing? The references are fairly sparse so I'm wondering if my track seems too "busy".. I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on this track!

Thanks, taxi fam!
URBAN DRAMEDY INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Top-Tier Music Library that gets tons of big Feature Film and TV placements!

They’re on the hunt for Mid-To-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic range of the references:

Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood (From 0:12 - 0:36)

Love & Listings (From 2:46 - 3:05)

Please send them well-produced Instrumental Cues that are built around rhythmic Urban/Hip-Hop beats. They need Cues that could be used in a variety of mischievous and comedic scenes in Reality TV Shows. Build your Cues around a central melodic theme, while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as they progress to create dynamics, interest, and forward momentum. Avoid anything that sounds busy as it could interfere with a scene’s dialogue.

TAXI Tip: This Music Library most likely has a bunch of "typical" Urban Dramedy in their catalog. Adding a fresh “twist” to your Instrumental Cues could help you grab this library’s attention!

All submissions should be about 90 seconds long, give or take. Solid edit points and Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings are strongly encouraged. Please do not copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast quality is needed.

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a TAXI screener – Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Saturday, September 28th, 2019. TAXI #Y190928UB
My track:

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Calling all Urban Dramedy pros!

Post by harperpeterson » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:18 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:19 am
harperpeterson wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 am
Hey, everyone!
I was hoping to get some feedback / initial thoughts on this cue. This is a rough first mix, mostly have adjusted for levels and some panning. Does it fit the listing? The references are fairly sparse so I'm wondering if my track seems too "busy".. I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on this track!

Thanks, taxi fam!
Hey Harper

Not an expert here, but I like it and I think it will work. Regarding busy, it is borderline to me - definitely don't make it busier. :) Mix should possibly be brighter once you get to EQing.

Tom
Thanks for listening and taking the time, Tom! I appreciate your input!

SKM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SKM » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi!

I am also not an expert but I have had an Urban Dramedy cue be forwarded a few times for this type of listing - Feel free to listen to it on my Soundcloud it is called 'Too Cool For You' and my Soundcloud link is below in my signature -

I think this cue is very close and it has a great melody - I feel as though there is something missing from your middle section that drops down to the synth bass - The way I got to my finished product was by listening and reverse engineering a lot of Matt Vander Boeghs cues - He puts them on his Soundcloud page and he is a literal pro in this genre!

I hope that is helpful - I am just finished one that I am about to put up here for you guys to listen to as well -

Good Luck - It's sounding great so far!
SKM_Music
Sara K. Marsalis

Singer/Songwriter; Musician; Music "Passionier" ;) Studying recording engineering and production

www.soundcloud.com/SKM-Music
www.instagram.com/SKM_Music

SteveAlton
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveAlton » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Well I think it works...But I think the sparse part you have when the BASS is soloing basically with just a little accompaniment is great for this type of stuff. It;s an uplifing part of it....

Just my 2cents

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:24 pm

SKM wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:55 pm
Hi!

I am also not an expert but I have had an Urban Dramedy cue be forwarded a few times for this type of listing - Feel free to listen to it on my Soundcloud it is called 'Too Cool For You' and my Soundcloud link is below in my signature -

I think this cue is very close and it has a great melody - I feel as though there is something missing from your middle section that drops down to the synth bass - The way I got to my finished product was by listening and reverse engineering a lot of Matt Vander Boeghs cues - He puts them on his Soundcloud page and he is a literal pro in this genre!

I hope that is helpful - I am just finished one that I am about to put up here for you guys to listen to as well -

Good Luck - It's sounding great so far!
Hey! Thanks for taking the time.

Matt definitely is the master at this genre! I guess my thought process for the B section was to strip it down to provide some contrast to the more busy A section. Maybe I could add a little something else though.

Thank you!

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:24 pm

SteveAlton wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:18 pm
Well I think it works...But I think the sparse part you have when the BASS is soloing basically with just a little accompaniment is great for this type of stuff. It;s an uplifing part of it....

Just my 2cents
Thanks for the feedback. Steve!

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:25 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:19 am
harperpeterson wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 am
Hey, everyone!

Thanks, taxi fam!
Hey Harper

Not an expert here, but I like it and I think it will work. Regarding busy, it is borderline to me - definitely don't make it busier. :) Mix should possibly be brighter once you get to EQing.

Tom
Hey, Tom!

I appreciate the mix comment. I'm about to do some mixing so I'll take that into account.

Thank you!