Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (completely new percussion)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (downloading Cakewalk)

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 pm

CTWF wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:16 pm
ResonantTone wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:58 am
Way to bite the bullet Tom! I’ll take some learning, but you got this.

Andrew
Hi Andrew - thanks for encouraging me. I guess I will "play around" with it more and more over the next few weeks. For the listing that this thread is about it won't be enough time, now that I see how complicated the whole thing looks... Tom
It will make life so much easier once you get into it. If you get stuck with Cakewalk shoot me PM

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (less repetitive)

Post by CTWF » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 pm

ttully wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm
The main thing that bothers me is the drum track.....
It is a bit repetitious and some time....or maybe all the time it should be half time....with the snare on 3 not always on 2 and 4.
Not sure I went the right direction here. For now still repetitive, I guess. Snares/claps are now mostly on 3, but is it the right 3?

https://soundcloud.com/user-851261143/v ... ue/s-p3Ypl

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (downloading Cakewalk)

Post by CTWF » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 pm
It will make life so much easier once you get into it. If you get stuck with Cakewalk shoot me PM
Will do! :)

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (percussion changed)

Post by CTWF » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:06 pm

I completely re-worked the percussion. I am a little concerned about the kick drums during the subbass parts. Should I take them out? This track now contains my coin plings, the baking trays, and a self-engineered kick drum (besides another one). Does it work and am I getting closer to a viable track? Also, I am still concerned about the grummyness of the subbass.

Sorry for being a leech in the peer-to-peer section at the moment. :) I hope tomorrow I will get to listen to and comment on other people's tracks. Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (completely new percussion)

Post by ttully » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Hey Tom,

Well.... I don't know if it will get forwarded....but I like it!!!
It is somehow reminding me of James Bond sneaking around...or Pink Panther... starting at :16 very cool!!!

Now..I just remembered..... it reminds me of In Like Flint or Our Man Flint movies from the 60's!!!

I like the low 808 and the kick.... as you may know...sometimes both together playing different notes will sound very bad... but yours sound good to me.....

My 1 cent worth,
Tim

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:04 am

Sorry I'm late to the party here, Tom. Looks like you've already been given a bunch of great advice from the fellas on this one. I'll just add that if you can start nailing this style consistently, you'll be sitting on a bunch of money-makers.

Seriously, this Urban Dramedy & Urban Comedy stuff is my biggest money maker. And it's used in TONS of shows. Everything from well-known shows like Keeping Up with the Kardashians, to Love & Hip Hop, and Basketball Wives, to lesser known shows like Impractical Jokers, Fix My Mom, Southern Charm, etc... this music is everywhere.

If you ever want to listen to a LOOOONG stream of it, here's an old playlist of mine that hasn't been updated in years. I probably have somewhere around 400 of these types of tracks signed to various libraries. As I recently told another musical friend of mine, gotta keep drilling where you know there's oil!!!

https://soundcloud.com/vanderboegh/sets/urban-comedy

~~Matt

jaywilliams
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jaywilliams » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:24 am

the track sounds great Tom, congrats on putting your first DAW to good use!

keep writing :)

Jay
see you at the top!

James Hagarty dba Jay Williams Productions
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:58 pm

ttully wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43 pm
Well.... I don't know if it will get forwarded....but I like it!!!
It is somehow reminding me of James Bond sneaking around...or Pink Panther... starting at :16 very cool!!!
Hi Tim - should it ever be forwarded, it's like 50% your doing, because of all your input. :) For the "new" percussion I cannibalized another trap attempt on which you commented, too. It is definitely good to hear that you like it! For what it's worth, my wife likes it too and does not make fun of it anymore... :o :lol:
ttully wrote:
Now..I just remembered..... it reminds me of In Like Flint or Our Man Flint movies from the 60's!!!
I got to check these out. :)
ttully wrote:
I like the low 808 and the kick.... as you may know...sometimes both together playing different notes will sound very bad... but yours sound good to me.....
Good! Especially since I made one of them from scratch (from sine...). :) :roll: Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:49 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:04 am
Sorry I'm late to the party here, Tom. Looks like you've already been given a bunch of great advice from the fellas on this one. I'll just add that if you can start nailing this style consistently, you'll be sitting on a bunch of money-makers.
Hi Matt - a single forward after a long drought would be very nice, a contract amazing, and a paying placement kind of unthinkable. :) And, well, how close am I to nailing it?? :?
VanderBoegh wrote:
Seriously, this Urban Dramedy & Urban Comedy stuff is my biggest money maker. And it's used in TONS of shows. Everything from well-known shows like Keeping Up with the Kardashians, to Love & Hip Hop, and Basketball Wives, to lesser known shows like Impractical Jokers, Fix My Mom, Southern Charm, etc... this music is everywhere.
I only caught up to this recently. Also, trap seems to be spreading into everything. They even had an article on this (trap being everywhere) in a major German news magazine recently. The thing is, now that I listen quite a bit to the TAXI trap references, I really like it. Maybe that is because I don't pay attention to the lyrics... :lol:
VanderBoegh wrote:
If you ever want to listen to a LOOOONG stream of it, here's an old playlist of mine that hasn't been updated in years. I probably have somewhere around 400 of these types of tracks signed to various libraries. As I recently told another musical friend of mine, gotta keep drilling where you know there's oil!!!

https://soundcloud.com/vanderboegh/sets/urban-comedy
Wow, an insane number! Good point and thanks for the link. I should possibly listen much more to successful people's Taxi pages and SoundClouds than to the references, since then I have directly structure and style, while the references often are vocal songs and have to be "interpreted". Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:53 pm

jaywilliams wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:24 am
the track sounds great Tom, congrats on putting your first DAW to good use!

keep writing :)

Jay
Hi Jay, thanks for the ecouragement! But I do have to admit: This was without the DAW, because I am still not at the point where I can use my existing SoundFonts in it, and I would have to find a bunch of new VIs, since I used my Yamaha synth a lot. Also, the thing (Cakewalk) looks way more complicated than the cockpit of a 747. But I guess I will get there at some stage! Tom