Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (completely new percussion)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (downloading Cakewalk)

Post by ttully » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:37 am

Good!!!!

You should be able to learn this in no time....piece of Cake (walk)…..!!!

ACTUALLY...

It takes time to figure it all out!
But you Will figure it all out!!!

My tracks (in Protools) for about the first year....were awful... (I must be a slow learner... :shock: )
But of course...that does not mean yours will be bad.....

Now get going!

Tim

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Urban Dramedy Investigative Cue (IMPROVED!?)

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:34 am

CTWF wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:23 pm
Hi CosmicDolphin - I understand your perspective. But in your restaurant example, I am the guy who is new and does not quite know how to fry an egg yet. And I will have to stay a hobby chef anyway.
Well..to keep the analogy going.... hobby chefs don't run restaurants, they make food for themselves of families to enjoy. You sir have signed up to a course for a non trivial amount of $$ ( at least not to me ) to teach you to run your own restaurant and get paid for the meals you make.
CTWF wrote:
So, a big kitchen is of no use at the time being.
Not true !
CTWF wrote:
In Taxi terms, my returns don't say " you did a great job, but your production is not up to date", it says more that I stylistically missed the listing. So, that is problem no. 1, to first get the music style right.
Exactly ..and a big part of the reason is you can't employ the techniques required for they style with your current setup. It's like doing the run your own restaurant course with only a microwave..you can't even follow the recipes even if someone gave it to you.

But if chef Ramsay comes along like he does on TV and gives you a shiny new kitchen ( or you download Cakewalk or Reaper ) ..then you still gotta learn how to cook. But now you're not limited to zapping stuff in a microwave..now you can try all recipes you could never try before...sure you will still make mistakes and it's a long learning curve but at least now you got a chance to get cooking properly.
CTWF wrote:
Let's say you like my draft track that this thread is about, you think it is a fit for the listing, but you think the reason it will be returned is 100% about my production because I did not use the right VIs and plugins. Then, yes, time to get onto the DAW. And, before summer, I want to do it anyways, but my concern is that I might just spend a lot of time on the DAW to produce stylistic misfits...
Produciton & style go hand in hand ..what is the 'style ' of modern EDM..it's loud, it pumps, it has a strong kick on every quarter note ( which is sidechained to duck other mix elements )..you could equally say the 'style' is informed by the 'production' techniques employed.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:39 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:20 am
You guys have worn me out. Downloading Cakewalk as we are speaking. Will try to change the percussion using Cakewalk.
Halleujah ! That's excellent news, you have a lot to learn but you can learn it. Eventually your souffles will be rising with the best of them ;)

Loads of videos that will help but this is a good starter..if you head to the Cakewalk forum there's a PDF manual if you would like one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PVxIqeDZ7U

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:43 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 am
I get that part of the equation. To an extent I am lacking the tools for what I would like to do musically, and I guess I know it. Tom
Well you made a step or two in the right direction today..keep going

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:58 am

Way to bite the bullet Tom! I’ll take some learning, but you got this.

Andrew

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 pm

CTWF wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:16 pm
ResonantTone wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:58 am
Way to bite the bullet Tom! I’ll take some learning, but you got this.

Andrew
Hi Andrew - thanks for encouraging me. I guess I will "play around" with it more and more over the next few weeks. For the listing that this thread is about it won't be enough time, now that I see how complicated the whole thing looks... Tom
It will make life so much easier once you get into it. If you get stuck with Cakewalk shoot me PM

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Trap Investigative / Urban Dramedy Cue (completely new percussion)

Post by ttully » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Hey Tom,

Well.... I don't know if it will get forwarded....but I like it!!!
It is somehow reminding me of James Bond sneaking around...or Pink Panther... starting at :16 very cool!!!

Now..I just remembered..... it reminds me of In Like Flint or Our Man Flint movies from the 60's!!!

I like the low 808 and the kick.... as you may know...sometimes both together playing different notes will sound very bad... but yours sound good to me.....

My 1 cent worth,
Tim

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:04 am

Sorry I'm late to the party here, Tom. Looks like you've already been given a bunch of great advice from the fellas on this one. I'll just add that if you can start nailing this style consistently, you'll be sitting on a bunch of money-makers.

Seriously, this Urban Dramedy & Urban Comedy stuff is my biggest money maker. And it's used in TONS of shows. Everything from well-known shows like Keeping Up with the Kardashians, to Love & Hip Hop, and Basketball Wives, to lesser known shows like Impractical Jokers, Fix My Mom, Southern Charm, etc... this music is everywhere.

If you ever want to listen to a LOOOONG stream of it, here's an old playlist of mine that hasn't been updated in years. I probably have somewhere around 400 of these types of tracks signed to various libraries. As I recently told another musical friend of mine, gotta keep drilling where you know there's oil!!!

https://soundcloud.com/vanderboegh/sets/urban-comedy

~~Matt

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:24 am

the track sounds great Tom, congrats on putting your first DAW to good use!

keep writing :)

Jay
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:35 pm

No need to apologize, Tom! That’s what peer to peer is here for!

Keep at it, man. Your dedication is gonna take you far. 🙂

Andrew