US Copyright office has an online system

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

US Copyright office has an online system

Post by teleblaster » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:22 pm

I haven't copywritten anything for over a year. Just discovered that their's a new online system. It even allows you to upload mp3s. I'm not sure if they archive the files for posterity, so that they can serve as evidence in any sort of litigation though.The system is cheaper than the snail mail alternative ($35 vs $45) and they claim the turnaround is quicker as well. You can still register multiple works with one application and fee. It also supports user accounts and templates.All in all this beats the old fashioned method by a long shot IMO. But that said, the screens are pretty slow, and it's really annoying that you can only back page one page at a time; doesn't support quick links to random pages.Cheers,eRich

quietextrovert
Active
Active

Re: US Copyright office has an online system

Post by quietextrovert » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:37 am

Hey Rich:It's fast. I typically get the copyright in 6 weeks. Also you can see all your works, and the progress or stage they're in.Later

alek
Active
Active

Post by alek » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:50 am

Hi Guys,May I join your thread? I'm Sonicbids member and sent a question of eCopyright to forum but nobody answered me. Here is it:"I've got a question: in December I did registration copyright with US eCopyright online. Now every time I log in my account I see "Open case". So I decided and did the new multiple submissions on this case...and system accepted all of them. But I had a doubts and today sent em request -"Hello,I have a question.I paid a fee $35 for eCopyright 12,16.2008.Till what date can I submit multiple works for the same claim?"and few hours later got their answer -"You should have submitted your work in December.You should not continue to add on to it".So I would know if somebody has an experience on this issue and could clear me this dark thread.By the way I've read all the FAQ at US Copyright site but nothing found about terms of online registration"So maybe here somebody of Taxi community can clear me?Thanks

yammer107
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by yammer107 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Alek, If I'm understanding you correctly ; You can not add to a "body of works" once submitted.You must resubmit them on their own. I did this once, in a round about way. My submision was damaged by the scanning device. They sent me a ticket number# and I asked that I re submit my songs and include this number. I did as asked..... but decided to toss a few more songs in; What the heck I had the oppertunity eh?. This fouled up all the existing records and my package went to the back of the line. Total wait time was nearly a year.... nail biting with wonder all the way.Hope this helpsAwesome the online system is up and running! I was told about this when inquiring about the above incident. Chris