USB power

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

og
Impressive
Impressive

USB power

Post by og » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:37 pm

Is it possible to boost the power of a USB port? My computer won't run the phantom power on my M-Audio MobilePre USB unit, I have to use a power source for condenser mics. While I was at a friend's place, we hooked up the pre to his 'puter, and the pp worked fine. I recently had trouble with a USB keyboard not working (machine recognized it, said it was working, no midi) and it dawned on me that it might be the same problem--not enough USB juice. Any thoughts, fixes, hexes, mojos, or ideas?Thanks.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: USB power

Post by andreh » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:48 pm

Quote:Is it possible to boost the power of a USB port? My computer won't run the phantom power on my M-Audio MobilePre USB unit, I have to use a power source for condenser mics. While I was at a friend's place, we hooked up the pre to his 'puter, and the pp worked fine. I recently had trouble with a USB keyboard not working (machine recognized it, said it was working, no midi) and it dawned on me that it might be the same problem--not enough USB juice. Any thoughts, fixes, hexes, mojos, or ideas?Thanks. Hey og,A powered USB hub should solve your problem...and you'll get a few more jacks to boot!Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Cool. Thanks. BTW, I added a USB 2.0 card to run my ex. HD and my CD burner--would it have more current, or is that a function of something deeper in the puter? I hate to buy one more piece of hardware that plugs into something and more wires and cables. My "studio" looks like a Radio Shack exploded in the electrical aisle at Lowes!I'm learning, but still a technotwit--can you plug any USB 'thing' into that powered hub? I mean, could I plug the printer, scanner, preamp, burner, HD and all in? That would let me do some cable management. (all this crap is plugged into one computer because that's how many we have)

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:11 pm

Bump....

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:40 pm

og-A USB 2.0 card might put out marginally more (or possibly less) power power than your computer's USB port; the best way to find out what works is to plug it in! You're not going to damage anything by trying.You can plug any USB device into a hub, powered or not. Just make sure you're running USB 2.0 cabling; it's backward compatible, but it looks the same as 1.0 except for the labeling.AndrePS - What does "Bump" mean? Oh nevermind; I'll just ask Dave.

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:16 am

Just wanted to bump my question up in the ranks. Otherwise it's at the bottom of the page and forgotten. Thanks, Andre.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:50 am

Well, now that everyone's doin' the bump, how about some bumping etiquette: we should all wait a reasonable amount of time (say, a day or two) for people to respond to our posts before we bump them back up to the top. Otherwise it's kind of like cutting in line or talking without putting your hand up...or even worse, it's like throwing your bowling ball down the lane when the other bowler was clearly setting up to bowl! Faux pas city.Sorry to put you on the spot og. Andre

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:50 am

The powered hub solve the phantom power problem, thanks. Not the other, however, but I'll start another thread for that one.