Using royalty-free vocal samples as the vocal track?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nathan

Using royalty-free vocal samples as the vocal track?

Post by nathan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:11 am

Hi y'all,

This newbie question must have been asked before, but I can't find it with the search. What is the industry attitude about using a royalty free vocal sample as the vocal element of a production music track for TV? I'm making electronic music, so really it's just a single phrase that's repeated and at times chopped up, but it is the primary "star" of the song. Of course, I'm composing my own instrumental music around it.

I've changed the sound of the vocal sample using formant shifting, autotune, microshift and other effects, but the sample could still theoretically show up in another track somewhere. I would appreciate any thoughts and feedback. Thank you!
Last edited by nathan on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathan

Re: Using royalty-free vocal samples as the vocal track?

Post by nathan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:23 am

Here's the context in which I'm using the sample, if that helps at all https://soundcloud.com/bernban/finally-free/s-mGGci
Last edited by nathan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:26 am

Hi Nathan,

I'd say...no problem

Tim

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:52 am

Hi! I can't really answer your question, but I must say you did a great job with that vocal! Love the track too!

Best,
Linda C

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:31 pm

It really depends on the library you’re pitching it to. Some have no problem. Others won’t accept it. It may have something to do with the risk of encountering another track using the same sample by a competing pitch.

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:54 pm

I've been searching for an answer to this question too as we make somewhat similar music stylistically. From my findings - it seems like for non-ex stuff it's usually more likely to be totally fine, but for exclusive..not so much. For obvious reasons. If other tracks can have that same vocal, then it's not really exclusive content. However, if you chop it up and process it in a way that makes it truly unique, well then that's the grey area.. Personally, I would never use a lyrical vocal for exclusive, but that's just me. Unless it was VERY different from the original sample.

I feel like with non-lyrical vocal samples, it's MUCH easier to make it sound different than the original sample and not so recognizable. I've used vocal loops for exclusive tracks many times, but I always do lots of chopping, pitching, processing, stretching, etc etc on them to make them unique. At the very minimum doing some unique processing. I've also heard someone say before that if Tunesat could potentially pick up that sample as a false detection, that's a problem. So it's gotta be different enough that no detection software would recognize it as the original sample. None of this is matter-of-fact.. just what I've found in my search for this same answer. HTH

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:21 am

+1 Mark. I can only reiterate.
I don't think it's much of an issue for non-ex, but excl. may have an issue. You are actually using lyrics. I guess it depends on how different you made the sample from the original.
I recently got an email from one of my excl. libraries saying that had to let a composer go as they were using loops and the music sup realized and complained.
There are some people even building these 'construction packs' and putting then out there as cues.

Cool track BTW!

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:45 pm

I don't think I would use a vocal sample like that. Its "legal" in this day and age - but the loop stuff is everywhere. Nothing really distinctive and somebody else could use it. It happens with BG loops but at least its not the "hook".

If you like the hook then fine - but at least I would ditch the sample and come up something vibe wise with a vocal tone or vocal chop synth patch in Serum, or evoxa or something similar. Get the vibe but not use the actual sample.

You have the chops and talent based on the other stuff I have hear and you have been getting placed like wildfire - why not just hire a session singer to help create a hook and make it original? Thinking like "Light" by San Holo.

my 2 cents.

nathan

Post by nathan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:20 am

Thank you all for the kind words and excellent advice.

Mark and Steve, interesting insight on the exclusive vs. non. Totally makes sense how an exclusive library would not want a non-exclusive sample that could be recognized in other compositions.
Andy, great idea to hire a session singer. I'm going to identify places where I could shop around for those services.

From what Ochaim and you all said, seems like the general consensus is to avoid the use of royalty free samples as the main vocal track unless it's unrecognizably manipulated, but if in doubt, just ask your library.

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:05 pm

nathan wrote:... I'm going to identify places where I could shop around for those services...
One place I'd recommend checking out is SoundBetter.com

You'll easily be able to find someone willing and worthy to do the job right.