Value of a website for a TV composer?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Value of a website for a TV composer?

Post by hummingbird » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:17 am

I'd say anything a music end user needs to know is on the front page of my website - credits, a bit about who I am, with music on the 2nd page and 'as heard on' on the 3rd.

I chose to include My Story on the 4th page for those who'd like to know more. I don't just compose instrumental cues. I am a writer, a speaker, a teacher, etc. I'm interested in cultivating relationships with like-minded professionals in the film industry, who are themselves story-tellers.

Whatever website you do have, you need to decide who your audience is and speak to them, for sure.

H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:50 am

hummingbird wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:17 am
Whatever website you do have, you need to decide who your audience is and speak to them, for sure.
I have none

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:01 pm

I'm getting ready to start my own site soon because as I approach new libraries, I prefer to have them go to my own personal site instead of a generic Soundcloud or dropbox link. Personally I think it's a more professional appearance. Check out Wixx, It's not as expensive for a simple one page site.

GBall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GBall » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:55 am

DBarnett wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:41 am
These are good points for sure but at this time $250 a year is more than I make in royalties, sadly lol
A google website is free, with the usual up front of buying a domain name. I went ahead an paid $3 a month for a custom email address using my domain, instead of @gmail.com. $20 a month for some band sites with merch or whatever doesn't fit my needs.

FWIW,
Greg

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:32 pm

You should keep it, only if it doesn’t cost too much money or take too much time to maintain.

macaudio

Post by macaudio » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:25 am

At least keep the domain name, especially since it’s your name. If you let it expire, it will likely become owned by someone else since there are entities that buy up the expired domains. It’s only about $10 per year so I’d advise you hang onto it.

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:09 am

One of the biggest K-Pop labels in the world (no exaggeration, but I can't say because of confidentiality purposes) came across my website and asked me to pitch some melody ideas for their top artist. They didn't end up using the ideas unfortunately, but I've maintained a relationship with them and it's all because they liked what they heard and saw on my website.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:39 am

I think a website has great value as a calling card for you and as a reference for the people you work with. It makes you easy to approach, which is great and considerate in this fast paced world.

Its a prepare for success thing. All of these has happened to me:

Say, you got a placement. On your website you could list the show. So if you pitch something or want to work with somebody, and they check you out online, the placement will be valuable as a reference for them. Otherwise it wouldn’t. Visibility = value.

Say, you got a placement. And the library or publisher want to feature you (the composer) on social media and ask for your EPK. You could just link them to your website, where you should have an EPK with bios and pics they can easily grab. Easy access to images = value.

Say, a seasoned hit writer is bored and look for new upcoming people to co-write with. They want to know a bit about you before they get in touch. On a website, you can tell your stories, what drives you, and let people get a glimpse of who they could post up as their new collaboration partner. Interesting story = value.

These scenarios has not happened to me, but could still be of value:

Say, you wrote a song that ended up as a hit from a film, tv show or playlist. On your website, you could sell or licence the song (or new songs) direct, link to playlists/ streaming, build an email directory and offer merc from your own shop. Easy access = value.

Say, a music super want to pitch your song at a meeting, the other deciders are not sure about including amateurs, but the super can link to your site and show that you are the business. Convincing story = value.

Say, you got a placement. The local news would be proud to feature you, and you could use the exposure to get local gigs. With a wrbsite, you could link them your EPK, or/and have a blog with press releases that they could just sample. That way they could feature you without even making an interview. -This could also be of value if you pitch your music to press/blogs in the pre-release process. Press tools = value.

Many other scenarios can be imagined. Just quiet down and think it through. There can be a lot of value in a website. For you, but also for others, which might be the most important consideration.

I used to have a website, but wasn’t clear on the uses (I wasnt ready), but now Im putting one up again as a service. Just make sure it looks cool, and that you have all the features on it that can be useful for people who want to feature you, support you or work with you. It is a tool to make it convenient for them to work with you. Make the site about you, but for them.

Here’s some inspiration https://bandzoogle.com/blog/website-des ... r-websites
Ceo of my own life

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:42 pm

What Kolstad said in the post above me probably says it all.

Your website tells the music world, and the world in general who you are. And importantly that your serious.

I’ve had publishers in London and LA sign my stuff coz they saw it on my site.
Since I write in several diff genres supes and libraries are able to hear that I’m able to provide that to them.

To me the $149 a year for bandzoogle is just another CODB like a new plugin.
Best, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com