Value of a website for a TV composer?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Value of a website for a TV composer?

Post by DBarnett » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:00 am

Howdy!
I have a website https://davebarnettmusic.com
I doesn't do much, if anything at all that I'm aware of
If you have the time to look at it, please do. Maybe I have just done a terrible job and I could get some tips

I'm thinking that 99.9% of the time when Music Supervisors need music they are going to music libraries or composers they already know
I'm using WIX for my website. While not the most expensive it's not really cheap either
So the question is - What is the value of a website for a TV music composer?
Thanks!

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Value of a website for a TV composer?

Post by cassmcentee » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:05 am

Dave, I've discontinued mine as I felt it really wasn't necessary...
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:12 am

cassmcentee wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:05 am
Dave, I've discontinued mine as I felt it really wasn't necessary...
Hey Cass,
That's what I'm thinking after 2 years
I guess if a person had books or other merch to sell it might make sense
Thanks, I feel more comfortable in my decision to let it go :D

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:13 am

I believe the value of a website lies in the perception of a composer. If it's a well designed and informative website, with a few broadcast quality samples of your work, as well as a list of your credits, it's a virtual 'business card'. For myself I can say that my website has landed me a couple of deals, for example, I wrote to an entity asking for permission to submit for consideration... my website link was in my signature. They wrote back to say they'd listened to my work and would like to offer me a contract.

I don't know about you but if I am going to be speaking with a mentor, if I've received an email from a music industry professional, etc, I google them and check their website, their Linked-in, etc, in order to learn more about them so I can be a little more informed about who they are and what they have been doing. I would expect others would do the same about a composer.

If you prefer not to have a domain & website, then I would suggest at least having a Linked-in and perhaps a music page on Facebook as well.

hth
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:41 am

hummingbird wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:13 am
I believe the value of a website lies in the perception of a composer. If it's a well designed and informative website, with a few broadcast quality samples of your work, as well as a list of your credits, it's a virtual 'business card'. For myself I can say that my website has landed me a couple of deals, for example, I wrote to an entity asking for permission to submit for consideration... my website link was in my signature. They wrote back to say they'd listened to my work and would like to offer me a contract.

I don't know about you but if I am going to be speaking with a mentor, if I've received an email from a music industry professional, etc, I google them and check their website, their Linked-in, etc, in order to learn more about them so I can be a little more informed about who they are and what they have been doing. I would expect others would do the same about a composer.

If you prefer not to have a domain & website, then I would suggest at least having a Linked-in and perhaps a music page on Facebook as well.

hth
Hi Vikki,
Your website is very impressive :D And you have a lot of success built up, very nice Congrats!!
These are good points for sure but at this time $250 a year is more than I make in royalties, sadly lol
I do have a Linked-In and a FB Music Page so I think I will go with that after my site expires in August
Then if things change $$ money wise in the next couple years I will keep this in mind as a "virtual business card"
Yes I do Google companies to verify so that's a real good point
Thanks for your help!!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:06 am

Putting myself in a music supe's shoes, if i hear something I like and do a little more research on that composer I'm taking them more seriously if they have a personal website versus a few tunes on a Soundcloud page. Even a free Bandcamp site does the trick. My 2c.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 am

eeoo wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:06 am
Putting myself in a music supe's shoes, if i hear something I like and do a little more research on that composer I'm taking them more seriously if they have a personal website versus a few tunes on a Soundcloud page. Even a free Bandcamp site does the trick. My 2c.
+1

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:41 pm

eeoo wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:06 am
+1 Thanks everyone

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:07 pm

I prefer the style of yours over Vikki's - I think most of these music biz folks are time poor, they don't wanna read your life story - It's not like sending a CV for a job ( resumé )

I think yours gets the job done.

Mark

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:45 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:07 pm
I prefer the style of yours over Vikki's - I think most of these music biz folks are time poor, they don't wanna read your life story - It's not like sending a CV for a job ( resumé )

I think yours gets the job done.

Mark
Thanks Mark,
Thanks for checking out my site.
I agree, "I think most of these music biz folks are time poor"
Thanks everyone, this discussion has helped me to decide, it's probably better to maintain a website
I'll just need to study up on SEO, not to go crazy with it but to see if I can improve "visibility"