Very nice interview with Keith LuBrant!

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Very nice interview with Keith LuBrant!

Post by CEMundt » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:22 am

I learned a lot from the interview with Keith LuBrant and his Composer Catalog software. I fully recommend watching it! It got me thinking… what software do most professionals use when putting metadata in their song files? Is there even a standard choice? :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Very nice interview with Keith LuBrant!

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:31 pm

CEMundt wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:22 am
what software do most professionals use when putting metadata in their song files? Is there even a standard choice? :)
I've never added metadata to any audio files, either the audio files get uploaded to a Library's online platform and you add the metdata tags there ....or with libraries where you're just submitting the raw audio files via Dropbox or similar you generally get asked to fill in a metadata spreadsheet to include in the folder and they enter them when they upload the files to Sourceaudio which is the most popular platform for Libraries.

I think if you're trying to add metadata to a file on your end it may be a waste of time as it will be ignored or overwritten. Some libraries are quite prescriptive in their cataegories too so you have a set list to choose from, you can't just put anything you want.

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:46 pm

What Mark said. You should keep track of your metadata in a spreadsheet or Composer Catalog, not in the audio file which doesn't work or is unreliable. Of if you open a DISCO account, you can store all your songs and metadata there. But the data doesn't reside in the audio files themselves. You really want to stay organized and have all your tags so if you need access for pitching to a library, putting a song non-exclusively in multiple libraries, etc. you have it.

The exception would be mp3 files that you upload to Taxi or send by email when pitching(*)... Mp3 files readily hold metadata. Mainly, you want your contact info in there in case your mp3 file gets separated from the email. Title, your name, your email, your phone. You can enter tags into mp3 files many ways including Windows (right click and select "'Properties", iTunes, and many other programs.

(*) Do not send mp3s in emails unsolicited, only if asked.

HTH
:D Casey

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:52 pm

Yep... nice interview.
+1
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CEMundt » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:38 pm

:D Thanks guys! It’s 1:38am and I’ve already learned something!