Vienna and Pro Tools?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Vienna and Pro Tools?

Post by stansongman » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:11 am

I've just installed VSL Special Edition on my mac. I use Pro Tools. I'm trying to find the best way to use these things together. So far, the Vienna install has not been very intuitive, although the sounds are great. Any tips would be appreciated!

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Vienna and Pro Tools?

Post by stansongman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:34 am

Followup: Once I got the licensing dongle straightened out, I ran the install. Then, you need to go to the vsl site and get all the updates. That's where the RTAS support lives. After that, I was good to go within ProTools. I use a MacBook Pro because I need to be portable. But, I think I might have to end up getting a desktop to do larger orchestration work, I'm already running out of CPU power with 2 instances of Vsl.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:14 am

Download Vienna Ensemble, Stan. And are you using an external drive for the samples?The MBP has a lot of power - at least as much as my 2 x 2.5 G5. I'm using one and getting a lot more than that - although I'm not running it in PT in that machine.

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:40 am

Thanks. I did download Vienna Ensemble, and it's the thing to use with PT. But, I can see where you can pretty quickly run out of memory and cpu if you have multiple instruments/instances of Vienna ensemble. (I have the 2.16 Ghz Core 2 duo with 2gb RAM) I do have all the samples on an external firewire drive. I also have Ivory for piano, and am looking for a few other things to round out my collection as well.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:44 pm

No question, you need more than one machine to run a whole orchestra of VSL; three of them with 8GB each is more like it. But it's too bad you don't have the MBP that came out right after yours, because it holds 4GB, which gives you a lot more mileage if you're playing samples.

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:44 pm

Yeah, I can't do much with this software on my current MBP. I've been looking to get a powerful desktop to run this stuff. then I can use the MBP as the ProTools engine, the desktop to run the samplers. Maybe a quad-core or something. Ivory is really great! There's a sample on my TAXI page ("Europa Rag"). I also got B4II, great Organ sounds.

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:55 pm

Hey, I did find that in Pro Tools on the Playback engine settings if you check the box for RTAS to ignore errors, it smoothes things out quite a bit. Should be good to keep me running for now. Of course, I'll have to turn that off and print the tracks to audio one at a time When I'm ready to master.