An idea... (maybe a challenge?)

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

An idea... (maybe a challenge?)

Post by Casey H » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:02 am

I was thinking this morning of many of the posts I've read and came up with this idea. My wife does say it's dangerous when I think, but here goes... The policy on this board is that if you complain about your critique, you should post the listing, entire critique, a link to the song, and the lyrics. I think that is very fair to everyone! But sometimes, the folks who do that get upset that all the regular forum contributors here will jump (with alleged bias) to support TAXI and what the screener's comments were. I am not saying there is or isn't that bias or that I often disagree with what is said here (In fact, I don't). But one could argue that human nature is a factor.So here is my idea... (It's really nothing new) If you got a critique and do or don't agree with it, without saying what your results were, simply post the song, lyrics and listing and the review form (see link below) for cut and paste. Ask people to review it in the context of the listing, give as much review detail as they can, and say whether or not they would forward it. Collect a bunch of those before (optionally) posting the screener's review. Review form:http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... 1073947717 To keep us on our toes, it's fine to post a song that got a positive review and was forwarded. This can be a "blind" study, of sorts. Don't tell us anything.I suggest using this thread to keep it all together, but that is just a suggestion.The concept would be to get as much input from members here without any possible bias by reading the actual critique.Whaddaya think? Casey

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: An idea... (maybe a challenge?)

Post by squids » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:32 am

I don't know, Casey........one of the things I've noticed myself is when you post a song for a forum critique, you're going to get a ton of differing opinions that may or may not have anything to do with the critique you're really concerned about, the one from the screener. If you're using this method to compare to the screener's viewpoint, it still isn't really valid....according to what Taxi says, their screeners have serious experience in the industry and the forum members, while also having a lot of experience en toto, don't have much screening experience.Do you get what I mean? (I re-read this and I'm not sure it's all that clear, sorry).

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:49 am

Quote:I don't know, Casey........one of the things I've noticed myself is when you post a song for a forum critique, you're going to get a ton of differing opinions that may or may not have anything to do with the critique you're really concerned about, the one from the screener. If you're using this method to compare to the screener's viewpoint, it still isn't really valid....according to what Taxi says, their screeners have serious experience in the industry and the forum members, while also having a lot of experience en toto, don't have much screening experience.Do you get what I mean? (I re-read this and I'm not sure it's all that clear, sorry). You could very well be right, I honestly don't know. But nothing stops someone from doing both things. Get comments without posting the screener's and later with... And if the forum members don't have enough knowledge and experience, what makes their input after reading the screener's viewpoint more valid? I guess I was addressing the comments (or impressions) made by less happy folks that many of the forum members are biased, especially after reading the official critiques.It could be a good idea or not. I threw it out there... Thinking in the shower has it's pros and cons. I HOPE this isn't one of those threads I'll wish I never started, LOL... Casey

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:29 am

I think it is a good idea.I do agree that there are several regulars that run to side with Taxi that would not if they had to review music before seeing the screeners comments.After the Rally I am convienced this is more of a crap shoot than skill.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 am

Quote:I think it is a good idea.I do agree that there are several regulars that run to side with Taxi that would not if they had to review music before seeing the screeners comments.After the Rally I am convinced this is more of a crap shoot than skill.Hey Jude (Sorry, I had to say that... )I just want to clarify that I was not making the statement that regulars who side with TAXI are purposely reviewing non-objectively. I just thought it would be nice to get more opinions before reading what the reviewer said and put it out there for both nay-sayers and believers. Are there some here who may be biased? Probably... BUT there are A LOT here who review songs and/or lyrics in the context of listings (I did one this morning) before submission and give a very good assessment of how they feel a song will do if submitted.And, as the nerd I am, it is an interesting study. As far as it all being more of a crap shoot than skill, I don't agree at all. It only MIGHT become a bit of a crap shoot when songs that are borderline with respect to a listing are submitted-- different reviewers will have different perspectives. But without enough skill to get to at least the borderline, a toss of the dice won't work.Warmest and best of '08,Casey

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:17 am

Quote:After the Rally I am convienced this is more of a crap shoot than skill.So...you're saying that those of us who have spent years perfecting our musical craft and pitching skills, and who research every listing carefully and submit judiciously and therefore have a high forward ratio are in actual fact just luckier than the average member/musician...correct?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:19 am

Quote:I think it is a good idea.I do agree that there are several regulars that run to side with Taxi that would not if they had to review music before seeing the screeners comments.After the Rally I am convienced this is more of a crap shoot than skill.Perhaps there is a regular or two who have actually visited Taxi and scutinized the screening process.Dave - Part 1http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?bo....read=1185818579Dave - Part IIhttp://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?bo....read=1186789715Dave - Part IIIhttp://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?bo....read=1188921401Horace (scroll down as his notes are all on the same thread)http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... 85748342In addition, I highly recommend anyone interested in pitching music for film/tv watch all the Matt Hirt videos on YouTube - if you want to know how to do it, it's all there.http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=taximusic In addition, one of the interesting comments I heard at the Rally more than once, in reference to targetting submissions & getting feedback is... if there are conflicting points of view on a piece of music it's because it doesn't squarely hit the target. Therefore, if I shoot wide of the mark or muddy things up, I don't blame the target... I work on my skills. Heck, nobody's perfect, and everyone gets frustrated, and sure I could spend a whole lot of time and energy blaming everyone else for my lack of success in pitching music for film & tv, or I can pick my socks and try to figure out to get better. But that's just me. But let me end my post with one salient fact: If I didn't trust the screening process at Taxi I would not be a member. Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:50 am

Quote:Quote:After the Rally I am convienced this is more of a crap shoot than skill.So...you're saying that those of us who have spent years perfecting our musical craft and pitching skills, and who research every listing carefully and submit judiciously and therefore have a high forward ratio are in actual fact just luckier than the average member/musician...correct?So,to put it in a nutshell.....the harder matto work's....the luckier he gets........hhhhhmmmmmmnnnnnn now there's an interesting conceptI must give it a try sometimetrouble is..........it leaves less time to whine about Taxi.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:31 am

Quote:Quote:So...you're saying that those of us who have spent years perfecting our musical craft and pitching skills, and who research every listing carefully and submit judiciously and therefore have a high forward ratio are in actual fact just luckier than the average member/musician...correct?So,to put it in a nutshell.....the harder matto work's....the luckier he gets........hhhhhmmmmmmnnnnnn now there's an interesting conceptI must give it a try sometimetrouble is..........it leaves less time to whine about Taxi.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:15 pm

Quote:Quote:After the Rally I am convienced this is more of a crap shoot than skill.So...you're saying that those of us who have spent years perfecting our musical craft and pitching skills, and who research every listing carefully and submit judiciously and therefore have a high forward ratio are in actual fact just luckier than the average member/musician...correct?YEs matto as of now I amWhy?Because for every one of you there is a hundred or more that don't make it that are just as good as you.It was eveident at the rally when the song writers were on stage and Taxi questioned them.NONE of them could tell us what it really took to make it other then just hang in there.When asked what it took the ALL fumbled for words and really did not know. I watched intently. I was not enchanted by their success that I could net pay close attention. I've met a zillion famous people. I'm not star struck. I paid close attention.For all those who had hit songs and waited 11 years 6years and yes even 40 years, there are hundreds of talented writers that die with out hit success. GOOD ONES!