Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

macomposer
Active
Active

Re: Virtual Instrument Plug-in Software and Libraries

Post by macomposer » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:33 pm

BradleyHagen wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:14 pm
The Presonus stuff, IMHO, is crap. You really need to look into Spitfire, Native Instruments, East West, etc.... But here is the caveat..... It doesn't matter how many great libraries that you own if you do not know how to make them sound realistic, and I am speaking from recent experience, as others on here know...
:lol: I wasn’t going to say anything :? as I am unfamiliar with that particular library… But, I do do a lot of research on what’s available (gotta stay current), and I had not even ever heard of it… Occasionally one gem may escape my notice… but yeah, the ones you mention are used by everyone. As you say, you gotta have the right tools, but more importantly, you have learn to use them.

I would say, start with one library (a decent one), learn the hell of out of it, (and since we’re talking about classical/chamber) study orchestration, study midi orchestration, and see where that gets you…
Mark Anthony Chubb
https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
markanthonychubb.com

macomposer
Active
Active

Post by macomposer » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:44 pm

One other thought: Thinkspace Education has this going on right now: https://thinkspace.ac.uk/courses/cinema ... estration/

It’s one of their older courses that was recently revived, and it’s on sale for $109 US. And if not this class, there are other classes here and other sites too.. But Guy Michelmore knows what he’s doing (as a college msuic professor myself)… I’m thinking of doing this one myself…I have years of experience, but a refresher is always good, and one can always (re)learn something new…

And if you’re a bit queasy about spending money, check out some of their free excerpts on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@ThinkSpaceEducation/videos
Mark Anthony Chubb
https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
markanthonychubb.com

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:46 pm

Guy Michelmore is the TRUTH when it comes to this stuff!!! Another TAXI member (I think it was telefunkin) turned me onto his Youtube channel, and it is great stuff
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

MichaelKD

Post by MichaelKD » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:46 pm

Thank you for the heads up! I agree, the Presonous plug-in is underwhelming! Back to the drawing board! In addition to the library brands you mentioned in your reply, does anyone have experience with the Vienna Symphonic Libraries? Let me know! Thank you!

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 pm

Those are great libraries, but last time I looked at them (admittedly a long time ago..) they seemed way too expensive. To me Spitfire and Heavyocity are the two best, although I cannot really afford to buy much of them, and the usual suspects, East West, Native Instruments, and Arturia are seemingly the standards, but YMMV! But then again, you cant buy your way into great orchestral production...... I have learned this the hard way, and have taken a bunch of returns over this very issue... Watch the Michelmore videos, and some of the others, and really dig into the art and methodology of how each instrument works in real life, and then articulations, and CC controls, etc. Heck, I am basically a dumb bass player from San Diego, and I had to dig into how an orchestra actually is actually seated onstage! lol

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:20 pm

P.S. And LISTEN to the pros on here.... They know of what they speak!

MichaelKD

Post by MichaelKD » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:49 am

To start, I want to thank each and every one of you for your feedback and advice, I really appreciate it! I have decided to pursue the East West library and have purchased it for $149 for a one-year subscription. I am working with it currently and the sounds are much better than my stand alone sounds in my DAW. Again, thank you all for replying to my posts and all your feedback and advice!

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:57 am

Composer Cloud is a great choice - Congrats and All the Best!
P.S. I bought a 4 TB SSD drive on Amazon for $150 over the Holidays, and actually put every single library that they have on there (It takes about a day and a half!) ...I find it to be a little quicker than the "download on demand" thing that most folks do..... YMMV

kjckjc
Active
Active

Post by kjckjc » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:31 am

Hey MichaelKD,
Just my input from another newbie trying to figure this all out - hoping to eventually get into more of the classical, orchestral areas... Since I can't even seem to get a forward with the "easier simple stuff" yet, I think I have a long way to go!... I also subscribe to Guy M's YouTube channel, and his email lists - huge fan of his - he recently compared the new Spitfire orchestra plugins to the London Symphony release (can't recall the company), on his YT channel...Very in depth and eye opening...The good ones are not cheap - but if that's what the "competition" uses, then we have to step up!... I agree that is a lot more about HOW those are being used, than What is being used... I also have Studio One Pro (used to be Sphere), and altho I love Bradley's music and talent and advice - I would not say the Studio One sounds/samples/loops are not necessarily "crap"... I personally love their community, support, advice, help, and their products, of which there are a LOT of them... I have learned a ton from Joe Gilder's YT and Presonus vids... Anyway - Hope to stay in touch and hear some great stuff from you (do you have a link to your profile page/music yet? See mine below).
I am Not a string player - but a Drummer/Percussionist by trade (retired school band/orchestra director), and am still 100% "in the box" thus far, until I can get my full studio, with a ton of "real" instruments and outboard gear available going - hopefully sooner than later (everything in storage for now)... and eventually do some collaborations with those who may need/want a live pro drummer... All the Best!

~Ken
..."To Play a Wrong Note is Insignificant... To Play Without Passion is Inexcusable"...
~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

https://www.taxi.com/members/kencrombie

MichaelKD

Post by MichaelKD » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 pm

Again, thanks to all who have replied to my posts! A recurring theme in the posts has been on HOW to use the different libraries properly and not just the library itself. If you could expand on that point, I would be appreciative! Again, thank you!