VST Locations

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CharlieErnst
Impressive
Impressive

VST Locations

Post by CharlieErnst » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:22 am

Hi. I am struggling with where to install new plugins. I used to use SONAR exclusively so they all went there. I have since switched DAWS to Mixcraft. I also always accepted the default location when installing the plugins. That is usually the C drive. Well, now that is almost full and I have started to movie things around to a secondary drive with much more room. How should I go about moving all of the VSTs? Or should I? Most are in the Cakewalk VST folder, but it's on the C drive. Can I just copy all of them to say the E drive and change the path? Is there an easier way? Right now after doing a quick search of my computer, I have them spread out across three different drives, and the new Omnisphere update I had to point to the shortcut on the desktop to get my DAW (Mixcraft) to load it.

I think I've inadvertently created a mess. Can someone who has a second, point me in the right direction on sorting all of this out?

Thanks in advance,
(Bombay)Charlie Ernst
www.taxi.com/charlieernst

"write songs"...Jeffrey Steele

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: VST Locations

Post by ttully » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:37 am

Hi bombaycharlie,

I use Protools.... but for all DAW's it should be about the same.

I have Protools running from C.... all my songs on D and almost all my libraries on E....or what ever YOUR drive letters are.

All SSD's...

That is the BEST way to do it.

My 2 cents,
Tim

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: VST Locations

Post by Len911 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:34 pm

http://acoustica.com/kb/how-do-i-add-a- ... _1077.html

add all the locations where you have your vst files or do an auto scan to find them. it will find all the dll files. microsoft folders also contain dlls, so just eliminate those paths.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music