War: BillG/DaveWalton: Returned

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

War: BillG/DaveWalton: Returned

Post by davewalton » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:13 am

Quote:SONGS ABOUT WAR and the effects, for a compilation CD project that will run through a major retailer. These songs can come from all eras, in a variety of styles/genres, but MUST BE COVER VERSIONS - ideally, of popular tracks from the past. Must have been a high-bar listing. Bill and I took this...http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =143441And did this with it...www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/MyMusic/Masters ... p3"BAWAAAA! BOO-HOO!!! We got returned! No fair!!!"(Bill wanted me to relay that message to the rest of the group). Dave

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: War: BillG/DaveWalton: Returned

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:48 am

wow, this is very cool. I don't feel so bad about being returned. Maybe we should do our own CD, lol.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:43 am

Actually Dave what I said was "Waah, Waah, BOO-HOO-HOO". Have we heard from anyone who was forwarded for this?

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 am

This is soo frikkin cool you guys! I was riveted the whole time. Really awesome. Excellent to hear Bill's voice over this type of track. It's awesome when style's collide. It comes across as some new kind of spoken word thing. Maybe you've even invented a new genre. Quote:"You ain't even worth the blood that runs thru your veins! Even Jesus won't forgive what you do. All the money you make, will never buy back your soul." Wow, those are such heavy lines. Bob Dylan is so... the best. And to think I hated his singing for a coupla decades. What was I thinking? Dave, Bill, do you mind if I post a link to your tune on another forum full of right-wingers? I won't do it unless you say it's Ok.

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:51 am

Hey Steve, thanks! You've got my ok to post it. I wasn't really that familiar with this tune until Dave suggested it. I recalled the last verse (I hope that you die etc.) but didn't remember what song it came from. Really powerful cool lyrics.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 pm

Quote:This is soo frikkin cool you guys! I was riveted the whole time. Really awesome. Excellent to hear Bill's voice over this type of track. It's awesome when style's collide. It comes across as some new kind of spoken word thing. Maybe you've even invented a new genre. Hey thanks Steve. Even before we started, we felt that this would be really interesting. Like you said, the melding of styles is unexpected. Quote:Wow, those are such heavy lines. Bob Dylan is so... the best. And to think I hated his singing for a coupla decades. What was I thinking? As an "old guy", one of my favorite activities is the point out the flaws in OTHER people's logic. As a "peace" song, it's kind of ironic that for the people HE doesn't like he hope they die and that their "death will come soon". Not exactly peace inspired by Gandhi Quote:Dave, Bill, do you mind if I post a link to your tune on another forum full of right-wingers? I won't do it unless you say it's Ok. I was hoping to do a pro-war song... something like "Let's Kill People And Break Things" but Dylan's portfolio seems to be a little one-sided. I'm in the center of all this... I'm not a war-monger but I don't think that all invaders and world conquerers will be nice to us if only we're a little nicer to them. So, personally, I did this for the listing (the song was specifically mentioned) and for what I thought would be the cool melding of styles, not for the "issue". If the song was completely the other way around toward the other side ("Let's Kill People And Break Things" ) I'd have the same reservations... that someone else's song somehow represented me. Because the link goes directly to my site, I'm definitely not up for being pegged politically from either side because I don't fit very conveniently into either camp. If Bill gave you his link, that'd be fine with me (I'll be anonymous), but a link to my site might generate some activity from both sides that I'm not really interested in.

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Okay, I'm stumped on how all y'all got returned for this. The instrumental track was bangin' and Bill, you sound appropriately menacing, lol! You slid home, imho. Neat track. The only thing I can think is that it has a performance art quality that throws the masses off, considering they're used to hearing radio pop that's sonically filled with every possible sound imaginable, thick and too rich for my liking. I love this track myself, and tried to get away with something like it years ago (and still thinking about redoing that song) but it gets handed its hat every time I submit it. Geez, Dave, maybe we should redo it together? Cuz you smoked on this one.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 pm

Exactly why I asked. No Problem Dave! Quote:Because the link goes directly to my site, I'm definitely not up for being pegged politically from either side because I don't fit very conveniently into either camp. If Bill gave you his link, that'd be fine with me (I'll be anonymous), but a link to my site might generate some activity from both sides that I'm not really interested in.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 pm

Quote:Okay, I'm stumped on how all y'all got returned for this. The instrumental track was bangin' and Bill, you sound appropriately menacing, lol! Neat track. I don't get it.This was screened by the company owner for a CD compilation. There really wasn't any "maybe's" I don't think (kind of a definition of a forward... "maybe"). In this situation, we skipped the Taxi screeners so it was more like a "deal or no deal", the final decision made by the decision maker. If figured that, for the most part, the song was either going to get returned or it was going onto the CD. So the way I look at it, it's really that we didn't get offered a deal more than that it wasn't forwarded. Same for everyone else. I don't think anyone should feel bad. I was kind of kidding around about it being a high-bar listing, but in that respect that I mention it was definitely a high-bar listing.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Quote:As an "old guy", one of my favorite activities is the point out the flaws in OTHER people's logic. Then I'm sure you won't mind this :Quote:So, personally, I did this for the listing (the song was specifically mentioned) and for what I thought would be the cool melding of styles, not for the "issue". (...)If the song was completely the other way around toward the other side ("Let's Kill People And Break Things" ) I'd have the same reservations... that someone else's song somehow represented me. (...)Because the link goes directly to my site, I'm definitely not up for being pegged politically from either side because I don't fit very conveniently into either camp. If Bill gave you his link, that'd be fine with me (I'll be anonymous), but a link to my site might generate some activity from both sides that I'm not really interested in. So wait a minute...you don't want to be represented by an anti-war song...but you submit it for a compilation CD that will be distributed thru a major retailer? I guess you must've breathed one giant sigh of relief when this submission was returned matto