Warning! Overt Christian Lyrics!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Warning! Overt Christian Lyrics!

Post by pitterpatter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:52 am

Apr 10, 2009, 12:52pm, llama wrote:Hey Angelica,I liked the lyrics...hard hitting, not pulling any punches and conveying the point well. My problem is the music itself. Just personal opinion but it seems too timid to go with the words. As did the singing. In my head I'm hearing a rocky and/or electronica track with a powerful singer.......But again that's just me..Derek (the other one )That's exactly what I would have liked too....a real rock song and I think that it's a demo problem. The demo was just too light for the message. I asked for a soft rock song thinking that it would be not acid rock but not a folk song either. I think what I should have said to the demo service was that I wanted something that was rock but not heavy metal or acid rock (and I think I would have liked that even better than what I got.) To me, it doesn't even sound much like a rock song at all and more like a folk song. I guess everyone has their own idea what of what a rock song is...unfortunately but you'd think a demo service, of all places, would know what one sounds like.

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:03 am

Apr 10, 2009, 10:42am, eokamura wrote:Wow! Vengeful, threatening, ignorant, uninformed, arrogant. It's got it all! I think you have a fundamentalist hit on your hands... Sorry, you reap what you sow. eo.If someone doesn't believe in what the bible says or if someone doesn't even believe there is a real God or that He might have some personal likes or dislikes or even some commentary on how his creations behave, then naturally, I can understand your viewpoint. The message of the song was tailored for a specific audience, people who believe that God exists and who also believe in what the bible has to say. The bible states that if you bless Israel, God will bless you. If you curse Israel, God will curse you. The bible says that Israel is the apple of God's eye and if you do anything against Israel, you will have God to answer to. Seeing that Obama is planning on dividing Jerusalem in half and giving half of it to their mortal enemies who want them dead, that would come under a curse for all of America. Jesus clearly stated that what a man reaps, he'll sow. But if you don't believe in Jesus or the bible, then none of this may have any meaning to you or even worse, appear as all the things you stated above. Sorry to offend you but I did warn you in my post heading. I guess the message is for people who both believe in God and believe that the bible is truthful...obviously, not you.

benjamine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by benjamine » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:54 am

Apr 11, 2009, 7:03am, pitterpatter wrote:Apr 10, 2009, 10:42am, eokamura wrote:Wow! Vengeful, threatening, ignorant, uninformed, arrogant. It's got it all! I think you have a fundamentalist hit on your hands... Sorry, you reap what you sow. eo.If someone doesn't believe in what the bible says or if someone doesn't even believe there is a real God or that He might have some personal likes or dislikes or even some commentary on how his creations behave, then naturally, I can understand your viewpoint. The message of the song was tailored for a specific audience, people who believe that God exists and who also believe in what the bible has to say. The bible states that if you bless Israel, God will bless you. If you curse Israel, God will curse you. The bible says that Israel is the apple of God's eye and if you do anything against Israel, you will have God to answer to. Seeing that Obama is planning on dividing Jerusalem in half and giving half of it to their mortal enemies who want them dead, that would come under a curse for all of America. Jesus clearly stated that what a man reaps, he'll sow. But if you don't believe in Jesus or the bible, then none of this may have any meaning to you or even worse, appear as all the things you stated above. Sorry to offend you but I did warn you in my post heading. I guess the message is for people who both believe in God and believe that the bible is truthful...obviously, not you. Could you quote some specific text to support your argument and what do you mean by the words,(bless and curse)do these words have a specific meaning and therefore potential outcome.Benj.

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:20 am

Your lyrics read like an anthem for a Christian jihad. If a kid turned this in at school for a poetry assignment they'd send him to a shrink and search his room for automatic weapons.

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:07 am

Apr 11, 2009, 8:20am, billg wrote:Your lyrics read like an anthem for a Christian jihad. If a kid turned this in at school for a poetry assignment they'd send him to a shrink and search his room for automatic weapons.I think that's a bit strongly worded, Bill. I'm not suggesting that anyone kill anyone in the name of God or that people should store up guns in their rooms. Where did I say that? How the hell did you get that out of anything that I said? You have a very vivid imagination. If this song was an anthem for a Christian jihad, what would that be like? Love the Jews? Men, quit deserting your children and leaving them fatherless? Quit teaching kids to be violent? Quit aborting babies? Do what''s right in the eyes of God? Not a bad jihad as far as jihads go, eh?

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:31 am

How about we just stick to the song? Angelica, you didn't help by adding your own commentary which makes it seem you have an agenda other just wanting to get your song reviewed, or maybe you felt the need to defend you point if view, I'm not sure. Lets just agree that we all have different political and religious views and see if we can determine whether the song has legs or not.Cam

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:45 am

Ok, now to the song... It has a very Leonard Cohen feel to it. I happen to really like Leonard Cohen, so that suits me. I think the song would be more effective if it didn't get so preachy during the last verse and the bridge. You might learn a little from Leonard here in making your point without being so overt about it. It makes the writer seem a bit more clever imho. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it, but I think that would make it more enjoyable for the majority of listeners. The melody and overall feel of the song work fine for me.

eokamura
Impressive
Impressive

Post by eokamura » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:31 am

How about we just stick to the song? Angelica, you didn't help by adding your own commentary which makes it seem you have an agenda other just wanting to get your song reviewed, or maybe you felt the need to defend you point if view, I'm not sure. Lets just agree that we all have different political and religious views and see if we can determine whether the song has legs or not.Don't quite know how to critique a song if I'm not allowed to interpret the lyric. I'm still not convinced this is serious. It's so over the top that it mocks what you seem to believe in. It might work well as the theme to Bill Maher's next movie? Seriously, what do you expect from a critique? You don't seem to have plans to submit it to Taxi so what do you care what other people think of it? If you like it that's all that matters, right? You seem to be so certain about everything you preach of in the song, what do you need a critique for? Does "GOD" like it? eo.

toddt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by toddt » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:56 am

Apr 10, 2009, 11:44am, matthoggard wrote:All songs have their place.You say that but I wonder what would happen if this song was placed up here for review...?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_My_Coun ... tterpatter, you say it's got "Overt Christian Lyrics" but whilst it uses the word "God", it's not a Christian song - as far as I know, Christianity isn't inherently about God punishing people for acts that are being committed there and then (which is more of an ancient Roman/Greek idea), it's about loving your neighbour as yourself, and loving God etc.Rather, your song is about your, or your preacher's, political views - and whilst I respect your right to have whatever views you want on any topic you like, it is quite repugnantly bigoted to say that GOD is punishing a country because all, some, or even only a very small few of the people within don't share them.I wish people wouldn't be apologists for bigoted behaviour just because someone says it's their "belief".So Pitterpatter, congratulations on getting the demo made, but I'm not able to get past the lyrics to attempt any worthwhile or unbiased critique on the rest.tt

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:51 am

Apr 11, 2009, 11:56am, toddt wrote:Apr 10, 2009, 11:44am, matthoggard wrote:All songs have their place.You say that but I wonder what would happen if this song was placed up here for review...?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_My_Coun ... tterpatter, you say it's got "Overt Christian Lyrics" but whilst it uses the word "God", it's not a Christian song - as far as I know, Christianity isn't inherently about God punishing people for acts that are being committed there and then (which is more of an ancient Roman/Greek idea), it's about loving your neighbour as yourself, and loving God etc.Rather, your song is about your, or your preacher's, political views - and whilst I respect your right to have whatever views you want on any topic you like, it is quite repugnantly bigoted to say that GOD is punishing a country because all, some, or even only a very small few of the people within don't share them.I wish people wouldn't be apologists for bigoted behaviour just because someone says it's their "belief".So Pitterpatter, congratulations on getting the demo made, but I'm not able to get past the lyrics to attempt any worthwhile or unbiased critique on the rest.ttIt doesn't make me a bigot because I believe that the Jews are God's chosen people. The bible has incidences where God punishes whole groups of people for what a few do. Also, he blesses whole groups of people for what a few do. For example, because of God's covenant with Abraham, all Jews come under a covenant of blessing because of a promise God made to Abraham and all of his decendents. But, it's an argument lost on anyone who doesn't believe in the bible, or even believe in God, for that matter. With a majority democratic vote putting a certain policy regarding the division of Israel into play, I wouldn't say that this would be a case of God punishing the majority for what a few people did anyway. Sure. Christianity is about loving God and loving your neighbour. However, how can you show love to God but not know what pleases Him and what doesn't please Him? Some people make up their own list of God's likes and dislikes. I hope that works well for them especially if there is a real God and His list and the consequences are quite different from their list.If you think that God is all loving and He doesn't care what anyone does and there aren't any consequences with Him for our behaviour, well, that's your business. You're entitled to your belief.However, all actions have consequences. For example, I wouldn't let my child gorge herself with fatty, unhealthy foods or smoke or take drugs unless I wanted her to have a horrible life or die an early death. If God doesn't care about humans then there wouldn't be any rules. People could do every manner of horrible thing against one another and God would just smile happily because He all loving and it's okay with Him. Believing that God has a personality and that He has specific likes and dislikes and that He has spelled out some consequences for actions, does not make me a bigot.