Warning! Overt Christian Lyrics!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Warning! Overt Christian Lyrics!

Post by pitterpatter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:50 am

For those with weak stomaches, let me just caution you. This song has overt Christian lyrics and may not be suitable for just any audience. It might even offend some people. I've posted my latest song, 'America, You Reap What You Sow" on MySpace. I wish the demo had been a bit harder rock but I'm finding with demos, it's hard to get exactly what I want. Please let me know what you think. Thanks. www.myspace.com/angelicaplatinumfieldAmerica, You Reap What You SowYou were the home of the strong and the brave and the freeAnd that’s the way God wanted it to be.But you’ve turned from God to your evil ways.It had to catch up with you someday.Amer-i-ca. You reap what you sow.Amer-i-ca. There’s a God, don’t you know? All those kids on the streets without Daddies,Taking drugs and living violent TV.And the ones that were and never will be,God formed in the womb and you will see.Amer-i-ca. You reap what you sow.Amer-i-ca. There’s a God, don’t you know? When you tamper with God’s covenant Jews.Dividing Israel is trouble for you.The bible says you’re poking God’s eye.If you wanna be blessed, do think that’s wise?Amer-i-ca. You reap what you sow.Amer-i-ca. There’s a God, don’t you know?Bridge:If you turn back to God, Humble yourselves in prayer.God will forgive and He will heal this land. (Bridge overlaps chorus) Amer-i-ca. You reap what you sow.Amer-i-ca. There’s a God, don’t you know?Amer-i-ca. You reap what you sow.Amer-i-ca. There IS a God, you know.© 2008

jonathanm
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Warning! Overt Christian Lyrics!

Post by jonathanm » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:04 am

Hey, Pitter. Congrats on a nice, clean demo.Obviously, there's a very limited market for material like this, but I don't want to assume that broad marketing is your intention.Who did the demo?
"Everyone always misquotes me." - Frederick Q. Larson

derekmcfarland
Impressive
Impressive

Post by derekmcfarland » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:25 pm

My thoughts:I like the chorus (both melody and lyric) a lot. It stuck with me.Some verse lines are "hard-to-sing" awkward and I don't remember any of themThe reverb is distracting for my taste (makes it sound like an old recording)As a Christian, it wasn't offensive at all... just not very loving.Overall nice job, God Bless,Derek

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:28 pm

Apr 9, 2009, 2:04pm, jmeraz wrote:Hey, Pitter. Congrats on a nice, clean demo.Obviously, there's a very limited market for material like this, but I don't want to assume that broad marketing is your intention.Who did the demo?Hey Jonathan.This song seems to have taken on a life of it's own. I told absolutely everyone that it was not a commercial song and that I could never sell it so why make a demo, right? After some arm twisting from various people, I finally agreed to make the demo. I've only had the demo for about a week. So far, the song has been performed twice in Church and a recording artist said he would love to record it. Now whether he will actually record it is another thing. This song is not Taxi material, unless someone comes along looking for a hard line Christian rock song like this. I suppose it could happen but it's not very likely. But, it seems to be entertaining people in spite of this.I'll PM you about the demo service.

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:07 am

Apr 9, 2009, 6:25pm, derekmcfarland wrote:My thoughts:I like the chorus (both melody and lyric) a lot. It stuck with me.Some verse lines are "hard-to-sing" awkward and I don't remember any of themThe reverb is distracting for my taste (makes it sound like an old recording)As a Christian, it wasn't offensive at all... just not very loving.Overall nice job, God Bless,DerekHi Derek: The song was written to answer the question from a biblical and Christian standpoint, "Why is God lifting his hand of blessing off of America and what can America do to get right with God and be blessed by God again?" Assuming this message is correct and by turning back to God, America could avoid a disaster, or a series of disasters, then the message could be a loving message, like pointing out a covered pit that someone can't see and they are about to fall into. I may not have done such a great job of conveying my message though if the verses are hard to sing and forgettable.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:56 am

Hi AngelicaJust a few thoughts from a pure song POV... The chorus feels a little "soft" and "mushy" (mostly musically) when compared to verses which are more hard hitting in subject matter. I think you need more "edge". (Actually, it reminded me of the band, "America"!)... That need for "edge" could apply to the whole song... Strong points made with a voice a little too soft...None of my thoughts here have to do with my own opinions on politics and religion- only the song and pitching it. From a practical standpoint, my suggestion would be to replace the "dividing Israel" part with a different point about America and turning from God. Why? Because it crosses over into what (to many others by opinion) becomes political, not purely "Christian". Assuming you can get a song out to Christian music publishers, like it or not, that could make or break whether it gets any further. The format of very short verses with choruses doesn't work for me as well as it might with some changes. For example, you could do a double-length verse (or 2 verses), the first time. Just my thoughts over morning coffee.. Best, Casey

eokamura
Impressive
Impressive

Post by eokamura » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:42 am

Wow! Vengeful, threatening, ignorant, uninformed, arrogant. It's got it all! I think you have a fundamentalist hit on your hands... Sorry, you reap what you sow. eo.

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:44 am

All songs have their place. For the record I disagree with the message.Overall I think its a pretty good effort. The lyrics do convey a message and the music supports it fairly well.Ill second Casey on the more detailed things. Matt

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by llama » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:52 am

Hey Angelica,I liked the lyrics...hard hitting, not pulling any punches and conveying the point well. My problem is the music itself. Just personal opinion but it seems too timid to go with the words. As did the singing. In my head I'm hearing a rocky and/or electronica track with a powerful singer.......But again that's just me..Derek (the other one )

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:43 am

Apr 10, 2009, 4:56am, hurowitz wrote:Hi AngelicaJust a few thoughts from a pure song POV... The chorus feels a little "soft" and "mushy" (mostly musically) when compared to verses which are more hard hitting in subject matter. I think you need more "edge". (Actually, it reminded me of the band, "America"!)... That need for "edge" could apply to the whole song... Strong points made with a voice a little too soft...None of my thoughts here have to do with my own opinions on politics and religion- only the song and pitching it. From a practical standpoint, my suggestion would be to replace the "dividing Israel" part with a different point about America and turning from God. Why? Because it crosses over into what (to many others by opinion) becomes political, not purely "Christian". Assuming you can get a song out to Christian music publishers, like it or not, that could make or break whether it gets any further. The format of very short verses with choruses doesn't work for me as well as it might with some changes. For example, you could do a double-length verse (or 2 verses), the first time. Just my thoughts over morning coffee.. Best, CaseyThanks for your thoughts Casey. Your ideas make sense to me from the commercial songwriting school of thought. It's just not meant to be a commercial song. Removing the part about dividing Israel, would pretty much eliminate the purpose and message of the song. Dividing Israel, according to the bible, is poking God in His eye. Biblically, if you bless Israel, God will bless you. If you do anything against Israel, God will curse you. So, the American plan to divide Jerusalem in half and give half of it to Israel's enemies, the Palestinians, who want to wipe them off the map, would be a major cause for concern for America if America wants God's favour. Biblically, it's a big no no with a curse attached and it's the one thing, that according to the bible, Obama could back off on and presumably, God's curse would lift. But I know what you mean. If my goal was a commercial song, I would have to change most of it.