Was Returned Due to Length When Within Listings Guidelines..

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Was Returned Due to Length When Within Listings Guidelines..

Post by themarkalanproject » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:06 pm

So I got returned on my Cyberpunk submission. The Screener put 2 min max length.. yet, if you read the listing says for instrumentals 2-4mins. My song was 3:45 mins.

S240218BP

All submissions should be about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals and roughly 90 seconds to 2 minutes for Cues, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

--

This sounds like the screener maybe had an oversight? What do I do in this case. They said they really enjoyed listening to it, unless everyone is told that. I am not happy and do not know what to do. This sucks.
- the mark alan project

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Was Returned Due to Length When Within Listings Guidelines..

Post by AlanHall » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:42 pm

This is a copy of the PM I sent you, thought it might be corroborated by others.

Is that the only reason they gave?
If the screener's reason directly contradicts the listing text, email the head screener and outline the arguments for your case. Taxi takes 'mistakes' like this very seriously. It could well be that the screener just didn't read the listing as well as they should.

As an aside, my submission was returned too. Can't wait to hear the forwards!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 pm

Was there anything else in the feedback regarding why it was returned? If clearly, the ONLY reason was length, the you could email headscreener AT taxi dot com.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:47 pm

themarkalanproject wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:06 pm
All submissions should be about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals and roughly 90 seconds to 2 minutes for Cues, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Would you say your submission was an instrumental (ie a track with instrumentation playing the melody lines)? Or was it a cue (with no definitive melodic top line even if there are motifs)? As I read the listing, a 3:45 instrumental is under the 4 min max and should have been fine, but 3:45 cue is well over the 2 min max.

Its typical for screeners to say something positive about submissions, even if they're returned, and it may well be a genuine compliment that they enjoyed listening to your track even if it didn't match the listing criteria for one or more reasons.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Post by themarkalanproject » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:14 pm

- the mark alan project

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Post by themarkalanproject » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:24 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 pm
Was there anything else in the feedback regarding why it was returned? If clearly, the ONLY reason was length, the you could email headscreener AT taxi dot com.
So technically made two versions of the song. One they just critique the length, Now a second email came in after this post.. The other is slower bpm (still at 4 mins) and has some slight variations with the glitches. Same screener worked on both. On one they just critiqued the length, then the other they said the motif could use some work, but still stated it was too long and max is 2 mins .So I don't know. I won't bother reaching out, last thing I want is to piss them off and they remember my name as the guy that complains so there is always a bias in reviewing me. Just seems silly given it says 4 mins clearly in the listing. This one just truly hurts. I put a ton of time into it, close to like 100+ hours. I 100% disagree the motif lacks. Some of the ref main motif was even less catchy or detailed. In my opinion the best part is when it first hits in the beginning. On to the next project tho. Will have to forget this.

https://www.taxi.com/members/Er9Iix4ATp ... -onslaught

https://www.taxi.com/members/Er9Iix4ATp ... e-edition-
- the mark alan project

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:37 pm

as Casey says;
Casey H wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 pm
If clearly, the ONLY reason was length, the you could email headscreener AT taxi dot com.
Done with due proper regard for ALL the screener's comments and a respectful attitude, contacting the head screener would be the professional thing to do, IMHO.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:52 am

I won't bother reaching out, last thing I want is to piss them off and they remember my name as the guy that complains so there is always a bias in reviewing me.
Don't worry about any potential black marks against your name or being placed on a "blacklist" due to a legitimate concern. Something like this would be an issue I would indeed raise with the head screener. Chances are, your email will never make it back to the actual screener, and even if it does it probably won't be in association with your name. And even if that DOES happen, Taxi has so many thousands of members actively submitting at any given time, that it's extremely unlikely they would remember your name - or hold anything against you.

If I were you, I would contact the head screener! That is, IF - as Casey pointed out - these returns were almost 100% made for their length and not for any other issues like production or quality.

~~Matt

themarkalanproject
Active
Active

Post by themarkalanproject » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:01 am

How do I get in touch with this head screener? It was the same screener that did both versions. One version they knocked the motif .. but one was just the length. The length was given in the reason why area of the one. Alan thinks I should at least reach out. Probably can’t hurt to just acknowledge this listing did say 2 to 4 mins. Regardless.
- the mark alan project

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:10 am

themarkalanproject wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:01 am
How do I get in touch with this head screener? It was the same screener that did both versions. One version they knocked the motif .. but one was just the length. The length was given in the reason why area of the one. Alan thinks I should at least reach out. Probably can’t hurt to just acknowledge this listing did say 2 to 4 mins. Regardless.
Email headscreener AT taxi dot com

I also agree you should reach out. Even if there were other reasons for not forwarding, the screener should have been aware that the listing was 2-4 minutes. Taxi likes to give feedback to the screeners and make things the best possible. No one will ding you. Just be professional and polite.

:D Casey