with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Waves Tune Real Time

Post by lesmac » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:19 pm

by Len911 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:24 pm
It’s just a modern variation of the old trick of playing the vocal melody on a piano or synth along with the singer to help them with their pitch.
I picked that up in the article and I have tried that in the past to some extent.
I might do some vocals today with this plugin and also I'll try a harmoniser along with it.
Will let you know if I think it helps at all.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:50 pm

I definitely recommend this plugin after a short trial.
Its a mood lifter and can speed up the workflow when pitching is a problem.
I have a feeling that with time one's pitching may improve with it's use.
Not saying pitch correction won't still be necessary after rendering but Real Time certainly has advantages.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:35 am

8-) cool Les, glad it's working well!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Here's an exercise that will totally transform your singing. Buy a pennywhistle; they go for about ten bucks, nowadays, LOL. [AKA Celtic flute or Irish Whistle] A plastic alto recorder is similarly cheap and will work fine, but it's a bit fiddly to cover the holes, which is where we're going next. Cover all those holes, and produce the lowest note you can, for as long as you can. Repeat. That's all. But do it for three to five minutes at a time, two or three times a day. The point of the exercise is in controlling the diaphragm to get a nice steady note; if you overblow, it jumps an octave, so you'll know if you're doing it right. Once you have a nice steady column of air, just engage your voicebox and discover that you now have excellent breath support and singing on pitch is easier! This is guaranteed to bore you to bleeding tears, so after you're good and warmed up from the breathing exercise, you can learn some fiddle tunes and jigs to relieve the boredom.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:18 pm

by mojobone » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:35 am
Here's an exercise that will totally transform your singing. Buy a pennywhistle; they go for about ten bucks, nowadays, LOL. [AKA Celtic flute or Irish Whistle] A plastic alto recorder is similarly cheap and will work fine, but it's a bit fiddly to cover the holes, which is where we're going next. Cover all those holes, and produce the lowest note you can, for as long as you can. Repeat. That's all. But do it for three to five minutes at a time, two or three times a day. The point of the exercise is in controlling the diaphragm to get a nice steady note; if you overblow, it jumps an octave, so you'll know if you're doing it right. Once you have a nice steady column of air, just engage your voicebox and discover that you now have excellent breath support and singing on pitch is easier! This is guaranteed to bore you to bleeding tears, so after you're good and warmed up from the breathing exercise, you can learn some fiddle tunes and jigs to relieve the boredom.
:lol: Fiddle tunes and jigs do have merit as does breath control. It's a good point and I might just give it a go, I like the simplicity of it.

I have taken singing lessons in the distant past. The teacher was great and she had taught a very notable young opera singer in Australia. She said she taught the "Eduardo" technique [not sure if I have the spelling right]. She said air is power and the first two weeks we concentrated on taking large lung fulls of air lifting the epiglottis whilst doing so.
My singing did improve back then. I haven't practised much in the last 2 or 3 years.

A lot of "my" trouble is hearing the correct note. I'm not sure if it is the head architecture or just a "lazy" ear. I realise during tracking that I quite often don't identify the melody, a sort of fluid approach.

The plugin is useful, you can see in real time if you are singing flat or sharp and you have parameters to apply subtle pitch correction by set and forget. Just bounce it down and then pop the vocals into a pitch correction editor for final adjustments. I have had no experience with auto tune but I suppose it works much the same way.

For me it was the best 30 bucks Ive spent on plugins so far.

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:24 am

Hi Les

Yes the Waves Tune real time is a confidence booster
You have to be careful that you don't use it without really knowing the song

If you just sing normally into it you have a feeling that everything will be ok, and to an extent it will be.
One thing is that it doesn't fix is a passionless performance. So make sure the emotion and passion is there. Really know what you are going to sing and if you have that right it will do an even better job.

Another thing is you really have to explore the capability of what it does the nuances etc. and be sure to try different things
Be careful not to interpret the dial in the wrong way. I thought initially that when the dial dips to the left that meant that I was singing flat but it really means thats what it does to correct my sharp singing.

I still sometimes go and do a bit more with Logic pitch correction

Anyway good luck with the plug......I love it

Here is quite a thorough video on it's depth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BdawP_U-ZY