We are in the right business

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bakerstreet
Active
Active

We are in the right business

Post by bakerstreet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:05 am

If you ever doubted it, just watched my first OBM. Can you imaging when/if TV & film OBM becomes the norm, each episode is up to 20 times longer, each movie 40 times longer. Needing 20-40 times more musical content?

If you are unfamiliar with the term it stands for Object Based Media. This is where the viewer decides how the story will unfold as they watch, depending on their mood, how much time they have to watch, how they feel about the characters in the plot.

Back in the 80's we had Adventure Story Books, that came alive as you decided, by turning to the right section in the book, how the story unfolded. Then came adventure games on computers, first text based, but then the graphics came along and worlds became bigger, options seemed endless and the whole thing became more immersive.

Interactive adventure games have been around for an age but now services such as Netflix & Amazon are experimenting with this bringing the technology to your TV.

For every option, there is a scene, for every scene there is music designed to enhance the desired (by the viewer) emotion. 20 times the content becomes necessary and the norm.

However, I know there is always an however, I also see that we may only get paid if the music we right is under the directional path the views take. - We won't be able to control that, but having our music in more places gives us more changes our music will be played and paid.

I'd also like to point out that these are my opinions, OBM is a fact, but the rest of this post is just my view point so don't go quitting your day job based on it - ha. Like 3D TV, this may just be a fad that really hasn't gone as mainstream as the industry would like, perhaps it still will. But unlike 3D, you don't need to become a scuba diver to enjoy it. You just need a TV remote with the four coloured buttons.

I just think, now that the BBC have just aired the first ever TV terrestrial programme with the technology (only 1 episode) this is now something that will open up opportunities for us. For those unfamiliar, you can find out more about this episode here www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48867302

I'll be interested to read others comments. Now on with the music.
Paul Howes (aka Reg) - Don't ask, unless we are at the bar.

"The greatest art in the world is the art of story telling" - Cecil B DeMille

I hope you music tells a story.

LewisH95

Re: We are in the right business

Post by LewisH95 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:25 am

Thanks this information is helpful! Looking forward for more of this Tv programmes for you!
Regards,
Lewis

brucebendwick

Post by brucebendwick » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:37 pm

Very well said!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:19 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:25 pm
I just hope it is not going to be the other way round: Same budget, but 10 times the music needed. Even if your music gets picked, on average only 10% of the payout? :?

Tom
Who knows. I mean I can't see it taking off any more than the books did. i.e. a little popular while they were a novelty ( I had one myself as a kid ) but never replacing the traditional linear narrative. And what if your music is in a branch that rarely gets chosen ? Then what ?

Mark