Website suggestions - Revisited

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Website suggestions - Revisited

Post by tresero » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:39 am

I'm looking to downsize my life and even though I have my site and have had it for years, it's time to put it somewhere without the maintenance headaches. My primary reason is moving to Cuba where Internet is horrible and expensive so logging on all the time to update etc, is not a good option.

I've been looking at Bandzoogle, since it's a Taxi sponsor I figured I'd give it a test. Seems easy, but I'm wondering what other options are out there. Please, don't tell me wordpress or drupal or any other similar site. I know about them ;) and I'm getting away from these.

Main requirements are I have to be able to sell my books as well as tracks. Ease of use is great (I find Bandzoogle a little weird but that's probably just me), and of course look good.

I've also heard about:
Bandcamp - Still can't figure it out. Horrible description of what it does (well, no real description ) :)

MarkM

Re: Website suggestions - Revisited

Post by MarkM » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi Jon,
It may or may not be helpful but sometimes its a 'love the one you're with' scenario ya know? I use Bandzoogle and for selling things on line, ease of use and the ability to use any look you'd like . It ticks all the boxes. My wife is (sort of) in IT and did my logo and such but found it all very easy to work with in there. im NOT affiliated with them in any way so its just an unbiased opinion. Good luck with it.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:36 pm

MarkM wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Hi Jon,
It may or may not be helpful but sometimes its a 'love the one you're with' scenario ya know? I use Bandzoogle and for selling things on line, ease of use and the ability to use any look you'd like . It ticks all the boxes. My wife is (sort of) in IT and did my logo and such but found it all very easy to work with in there. im NOT affiliated with them in any way so its just an unbiased opinion. Good luck with it.
I'm leaning that way. Trying to leave the old life (and wife) behind :) I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything important. I make more money on my book sales than tracks now, although I have a lot of things supposedly picked up overseas (long wait to get paid though), so it's important I can sell them.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:05 pm

I don't know much about Cuba but I'd imagine its a bit of a nightmare financially? Do you have an online bank like transferwise or OFX (excuse me if they're particularly Canadian) or something that you point your stripe sales towards? Just curious.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:44 am

MarkM wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:05 pm
I don't know much about Cuba but I'd imagine its a bit of a nightmare financially? Do you have an online bank like transferwise or OFX (excuse me if they're particularly Canadian) or something that you point your stripe sales towards? Just curious.
I have my US Bank. I can't get money directly but I also will be back and forth every few months and there is a thriving black market that will change dollars and send them down if I need (I have no rent there or anything, so I can bring money that will last a long time).

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:47 am

Thinking of this more and more. Bandzoogle is $16 a month more or less.
I know everyone needs a website, I get that, no arguments. What I do wonder is if most of your money is in sync, could that be better spent (and yes, I know it's not a ton of money, but I'm thinking like a business, not a musician :)

How many of you make your monthly payment back from your website? Doesn't have to be Bandzoogle, and I'm not picking on them, I like it and even setup a trial, just curious in general. I average about 10 pageviews a day. Not much. Of course, I don't advertise and almost everyone buys my books on Amazon. I'm about to start a new phase and market more, so that should all go out the window, but I wanted to show where I'm at now.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:41 pm

Sorry Jon,
Just figuring this thing out so I didn't realize you'd made another post.
My store consists of choral arrangements (pdf sheet music) and print music.
While I"ve had 5-6 forwards I haven't had any 'deals' through taxi yet but I've had deals on my own.
I think diversifying works well for me. I like to arrange music as well as write it so it 'scratches both itches' so to speak.

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:02 am

MarkM wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:41 pm
Sorry Jon,
Just figuring this thing out so I didn't realize you'd made another post.
My store consists of choral arrangements (pdf sheet music) and print music.
While I"ve had 5-6 forwards I haven't had any 'deals' through taxi yet but I've had deals on my own.
I think diversifying works well for me. I like to arrange music as well as write it so it 'scratches both itches' so to speak.
Thanks Mark. I ended up making a Bandzoogle site, mainly because I could easily sell arrangment's/books

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:39 pm

Good Call Jon,
I'd be surprised if you aren't happy with it. How's Cuba treating you?