Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Were There Any Rally Visitors from UK?

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:39 am

Hi All,
I would dearly have liked to join the latest rally, but I assumed that the cost from UK was just too much for me to even think about. So, I was wondering whether anyone had done it and escaped with a bill that didn't break the bank. Anyone at out there manage it, and if so, what sort of budget did you need?

Yes, I know every last one of those who actually did make it will say its worth any amount of money, and I accept that view. Maybe next year!

Cheers,
Graham (UK).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

garywhite
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Were There Any Rally Visitors from UK?

Post by garywhite » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:03 am

Hi Graham,

I'm in UK, and I went to my first rally last November (last year was also my first year as member). I went with my wife, and it cost around £2500. We stayed at the hotel where the rally is held, and flew non-stop from Heathrow to LAX. The flight (virgin) was around 1000, Hotel around 500, and we managed to blow 1000 in cash. We did spend quite a lot of time in the bar... hotel prices, you know... 10 bucks a drink including tips, usually. If you go alone, and don't go crazy with spending money, you should be able to get it down to around 1200-1300..

And, I will be going again this year - no question!

Gary
http://www.taxi.com/garywhite
http://www.musicsynctank.com
https://soundcloud.com/musicsynctank
gary@musicsynctank.com

Songs for Artists, Film and TV
All manner of Instrumental Cues and Underscore

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi Gary,
Good to meet a fellow Brit here.
Wow, that's some bill, but sadly, not entirely unexpected.
I wanted to go this year, but I work in the steel industry and things were looking bleak
(as you will probably be aware if you're anywhere near Port Talbot).
My decision not to go was probably the right one - I'm redundant as from the end of March.
The silver lining is that I'll have more time to spend on music.
I suspect the next rally will also be out of the question for me, but I'll keep buying the lottery tickets!
Still, I'll consider that cost my target and if there's a way - I'll be there.
I wonder if there's a Government grant? ;)

Thanks for the numbers Gary, much appreciated.
Cheers,
Graham.
[Sheffield, UK]

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:36 pm

No intention of stepping on others' toes... but I was glad for the chance to meet & hang out a bit with another of your countrymen -
The One & Only; The Amazing: Nick Moxsom. :? :)
No joke; for real.
(I have a bit of UK bias, as my Grandfather was from Liverpool... :P )
HTH; cheers!
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:45 am

Hi Peter,
Well, if I'm ever fortunate enough to make it across the pond to a rally I'll be sure to look you up, and Nick too!
The first beer's on me (but after that........) :lol:
Many thanks,
Graham.

Geir
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Geir » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:26 pm

There were a few people from the UK there last November. The airline cost from there isn't too steep so there is no reason for the Brits to drop LA.
From Norway, where I now live, it's a bit more expensive and a few hours longer being stuck in a plane seat, but still worth it.
I was trying to find Peter in November but you managed to hide away - no doubt probably boozing in the bar with Nick (only joking).
Peter, you say your grandfather came from Liverpool, and I hazzard a gues that his genes came from Ireland, no?
As it happens, I was also raised in Liverpool between the age of 7 and 25 which means that we actually should meet up at this year's LA bash ...

Geir

RenneStone

Post by RenneStone » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 pm

I have been saving money sharing rides on https://shuttlewizard.com/ they even let us take our instruments, doest matter how big or how much equipment you have.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi Geir,
Glad to hear it wasn't too expensive for you from Norway. I hope I can wangle a good deal for 2016 and find a way to fund it, and maybe see you there. For me its ~50 miles to my nearest airport, but ~170 miles to London Heathrow for the easiest LA connection. Lowest Flight price at present for a direct connection from London Heathrow to LA is £560 ($810). Add the cost to/from the airport.

Hi Renne,
I might be wrong, but shuttle wizard looks like a US only service. I hope the good people in the US can take advantage of this, and I wish there was something like that in the UK but I'm not aware of anything. However, its good to know that there can be a way to get around from LAX. Thank you!

Geir
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Geir » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:03 am

Hi Telefunkin ...

Crazy as I am, I have just booked my flight to LA in November. As they say: The early bird catches the cheapest flights ...

£560 from Heathrow is too much. Check on the various internet bookers like GoToGate, Momondo, etc. and find the fliights that best fit your time-plan and purse.

My booking takes me from Bergen in Norway to La via Amsterdam with a total haul of 14:15 hours and the same for the return and has cost me £337.

See you at the Rally bar in November!!!

Geir

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Geir,
I admire your tenacity in booking so early!

OK, a quick check on those two scraper sites says £453 cheapest (1 stop 15h), £506 most convenient (direct 11h). The latter would be my preference and I guess worth the extra for the convenience, sleep, and increased chance of my luggage showing up! I think whatever happens, I can expect a travel budget of at least £5-600 and maybe more if I wait too long. With other costs (hotel, food, etc) the total will be somewhere around £1k. Even that sounds optimistic compared with an earlier estimate above, but I'll cogitate on that for a while.

Although I am keen to get there, that just seems like an enormous outlay. OK, if I were 'lottery win' lucky enough to get a track or two placed to earn money it would be entirely worth it, and I'm very familiar with the saying 'you have to speculate to accumulate', but I could buy quite a bit of gear for £1k (or eat well for a few months :) ) I'm committed to making the most of my Taxi journey and won't give up on the trip just yet, but I'll have to wait a bit longer to work out how to fund it.

Good luck with your trip Geir, and I'll hang on to the hope that we can discuss this further - in the LA hotel bar!

Cheers,
Graham.