Westworld Spitfire competition

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kitbenz51
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Westworld Spitfire competition

Post by kitbenz51 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Has anyone submitted to this yet? I'm working on mine right now and will upload once it's done so ya'll can rip it apart. =) Post yours here and we can all hear what you're doing!
Also if you didn't know about it, the link is below.

Westworld - Spitfire Competition

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Westworld Spitfire competition

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 24, 2020 1:55 am

I'm not but I have listened to some of the submissions over at VI Control and they are excellent, some really great composers are getting involved so the bar is super high

kitbenz51
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kitbenz51 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:31 pm

Here is my submission! PLEASE give me some critique. Sounds, theme, mix whatever. This is private link for now. I'll put the finalized version on this forum when it's done. Thank you!

KIT BENZ WESTWORLD DRAFT

Cheers,
Kit

NAHWEH
Active
Active

Post by NAHWEH » Wed May 27, 2020 1:51 am

Woah that is good. It's fun to see how others are taking it in a different direction.
Mine sounds rubbish in comparison.
What do you use for the orchestra? Particularly drums?
I'm finding it really hard to get the percussion sounding good.

Only thing I noticed that I would recommend is when there is dialogue some of it is over powered by the music.
That would only require ducking the music a bit or maybe dropping out one of the more dominant instruments for a bar or so.

Great job!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 27, 2020 9:20 am

I think it's very good although it's along similar lines to a lot of others I've heard, and if I would have gotten involved myself it's probably just the sort of thing I would have attempted too !

It comes across as being a bit like something out of The Dark Knight, which is great in a way but also somewhat derivative.I think whoever wins it won't necessarily be a more skilled musician but will have done something a bit different.

Mark

SonicGreenhouse
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SonicGreenhouse » Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 am

Very well done!
I have no experience in this realm, but the sound is great, the mood matches the scenes, and it all seems to blend seamlessly.
I think it works very well!

Floyd
...forgive me child if I do not know; where we came from or where we go. I always thought that I'd know more, but I've never been through this life before.

kitbenz51
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kitbenz51 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:49 am

Thank you for the feedback so far. I have some ducking in there but i guess it just needs to be more extreme.
As I was writing it, The Dark Night definitely crossed my mind. Maybe it's too similar, but it's my first time doing this kind of thing so i'm okay with that! Whoever wins will most definitely be judged on originality. To me, the mood fits and the themes work, but i've listened to it 100 times so I can't hear it objectively anymore. This is very helpful. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kit

kitbenz51
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kitbenz51 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:51 am

NAHWEH wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:51 am
Woah that is good. It's fun to see how others are taking it in a different direction.

Only thing I noticed that I would recommend is when there is dialogue some of it is over powered by the music.
That would only require ducking the music a bit or maybe dropping out one of the more dominant instruments for a bar or so.

Great job!
I have the East West composer cloud. I used hollywood orchestra for the strings, and "Lord of Toms" for the main big drum sound. Also Godzilla Hits and Rumphs. I think some sticks in there too. Other than some of the FX and the Synths, it's all East West.

NAHWEH
Active
Active

Post by NAHWEH » Wed May 27, 2020 9:13 pm

kitbenz51 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:51 am
NAHWEH wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:51 am

Great job!
I have the East West composer cloud. I used hollywood orchestra for the strings, and "Lord of Toms" for the main big drum sound. Also Godzilla Hits and Rumphs. I think some sticks in there too. Other than some of the FX and the Synths, it's all East West.
I have just this week signed up to composer cloud and my external SSD just arrived so I am spending the afternoon Assaulting my housemates download speeds :)

kitbenz51
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kitbenz51 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:12 am

Final Entry

Here is my final entry. Thanks for the feedback everyone.