What am I doing wrong?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:24 am

Once again, I find and read a previously unknown thread and feel like I'M the one being supported and uplifted and encouraged.Coach, stick with these forums (and TAXI)... I've had a few forwards (a total of 8, from four different songs out of the eight I have available/recorded) during my first year --and I've JUST started my 2nd year this month-- no deals, no phone calls, nothing. But the potential for down the line AND the support and info so willingly shared here is reason enough to hold on a little longer. You've already got plenty of pieces in the pipeline. Keep up the belief and the hard work, and I doubt it'll be much longer before we see a "Success Story" posting with your name on it.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:36 pm

Quote:It can definitely be frustrating.. I'm coming up on a year as well, have about 25-30 forwards, 0 deals or contacts. But some people (like Martin/gitarrero) are quite lucky and have gotten multiple deals, even actual checks, within the first year.you're right, I think I'm quite lucky with all the deals I've made in my first year of subscription (..some more are alredy in consideration/negotiation btw).I didn't expect it, but when I look back from now I think there are some factors that helped:* when I joined taxi I already was able to produce and write in a variety of styles, which I did - would I've submitted only tracks in guitar-specific styles, I don't think I'd have all those deals already. in fact, my deals through taxi are in various styles.* I've submitted A LOT for all kind of listings (of course this only makes sense if one have a lot of tracks in various styles). through this I also found out more about what really are my core competences, what makes the most fun to write etc, which was more a "coproduct".* I'm an efficiency-junky; I always find ways how my processes of writing, producing, mixing, submitting can get better. as a result of this, I can be pretty fast in the studio.* I have a lot of time for my music; currently I'm working 2 days/week in an office, the rest is music & free time (btw. I hardly can remember when the last time was when I was NOT thinking about music in some ways... so maybe forget that "free time";))this also means: I had not much money for a couple of years (when I worked only 2 days and worked the rest of the time in the studio, educating myself, reading books, etc). for me it wasn't a problem to do that because music had (and still has) my full commitment, and I just need to support myself (no family).so, no over-night-success I guess cheers, martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:28 am

Martin,It can happen differently for every person but your post is a very good recipe for success that should be required reading! Thanks for putting it so concisely!See you soon! Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:23 am

Quote:Hey Jude! I think you were quoting Dave's post.Sorry. I'm not trying to pick on anyone. Just make a point.

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:30 am

Quote: (Thank god it's not "alot" of money yet, or I guess I wouldn't have time to post on this lovely forum anymore... )HAHAHAHAHAH!!Good answer.I have a feeling it will take 11 years to see a 50K per year residual.No problem.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Quote:Quote: (Thank god it's not "alot" of money yet, or I guess I wouldn't have time to post on this lovely forum anymore... )HAHAHAHAHAH!!Good answer.I have a feeling it will take 11 years to see a 50K per year residual.No problem.If this is your life's work, then you'll do it anyway, no matter how long it takes. There's quicker ways to get rich than writing music. If you want to get rich faster, then another career might be for you.I sincerely hope you have the success you desire and hopefully even quicker than 11 years.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:15 pm

I'd have to agree with mazz.Spending 10 years of your life to get to the point where you can enjoy the rest of it making a living at what you love to do most... that certainly doesn't seem like "too much to ask".Well not to me anyway...

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:58 am

I've got a couple of music library deals so far that are not impressive. Maybe if I have 50-100 songs with them I'd get some business out of them, but that's a lot of work to build up that many songs. So I mostly stick to music supervisor listings, and the occasional artist listing. Hopefully, the deals you make will result in future business with those people, and then maybe you'll network from there.

leejohnson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by leejohnson » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:30 pm

Sounds interesting...and i can relate, but for me what keeps me coming back is I love it and I am happy here and now, nothing can be stronger than feeling good where your at.

markhvilsted

Post by markhvilsted » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:01 am

Im so glad other people are having these thoughts as well. I've only been involved with TAXI for 3 or 4 months and almost all of my submissions have been forwarded, and I've had some great critiques, but then....nothing and i was really wondering how long have you all waited in between being forwarded and getting contact from the people receiving the music?But I am feeling a lot better now that I see Im not the only one getting good news followed by silence. I think I would be happy with even a standard email saying bad luck rather than this complete nothing after I was so excited to be forwarded. But, Thems the breaks, and I guess I'll just keep trying, and waiting!