What are your 2019 goals?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What are your 2019 goals?

Post by markhimley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Cool goals, Anna - can't wait to hear your new stuff in the coming year!!

Originally my goal for 2019 was to sign 300 new cues and to make at least $10,000 in total from music, but I've decided to take another route. I've been reading a lot lately on habit building, routines, and other fun stuff like that. My plan is to instead focus on the daily goals/habits I want to develop and continue that will result in getting me where I want to go.

I've been getting up pretty early (4-4:30 am depending on the day) so I can work on music before heading off to the day gig, then putting in a few more hours in the evenings, and most of the weekend hours. Haven't had much of a social life in the last couple years :lol:

My goal is just to continue to do that, and start to work some other stuff into my daily routine and schedule (like a better exercise routine, more healthy eating, stronger meditation practice, etc), slowly but surely. Instead of focusing on hitting 300 new cues or making a certain dollar amount, just really focusing and holding myself accountable on the daily work, habits, and routines that will get me there or even further.

Happy holidays and a very happy new year to you all!!

rockinrob
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockinrob » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:17 pm

My plan is to increase out put by 100% of what I've done...Organize my studio workflow to match output. And finally to step up my tools to the next level. My focus is on songwriting and film/tv products. I hope we all reach our goals and show the suits we truly are the GOTO class of musicians and songwriters, composers and the future....NOT A.I. !!!!!

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:30 pm

DRichardson wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:49 pm
I've always wanted an established artist to cut a song of mine. I feel like I have made real progress this year on writing the right stuff. I've finally started getting forwards for my pop songs. So for 2019? Just a couple of number ones will do. :D Seriously though, a great film or TV placement for a song would be awesome. 2019 is going to be the year.
Yes! Where can we hear your music? Would love to check it out
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:40 pm

markismusic wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:39 pm
Hey Anna!
Just curious, are you finding you get more traction with songs instead of cues?
2019 goals for myself would be -

1. Finish recording/mixing/releasing my metalcore band 'Skylines' 2nd EP - (First EP link if you wanna hear some scary demon music haha also I'm playing drums - https://open.spotify.com/album/0xtFXzoSTk7Yzt09ric6vh)

2. Continue chugging along the cue train ideally with a goal of about 150 cues completed by the end of the year (1.5x this year)

3. Jump into the audio freelancing internet market for some short term cash (Upwork, Fiverr, etc.)

Honestly that's all i'm really focusing on... besides eating better and getting more (or any) exercise!
Trying to be careful not to overload myself and keep time available for music creation... not easy...
Good luck with your goals Anna. Happy holidays/new year! :D
Hey Mark! I haven't recorded any songs in the last couple of years (can't believe it's been that long) so I've honestly no idea what my traction levels will be...! Started off doing the songwriting thing but kinda deviated from that to get more production experience (ie. my old demos will never see the light of day :lol: )... and from there accidentally got into pushing the piano music pretty hard. Didn't plan on it, but definitely enjoying the ride!

Re. your new EP - that's awesome. I would never have guessed metalcore was your thing! Great goal for the cues, too.

You could check out SoundBetter if you're wanting to get into the audio freelancing more—I've had a pretty good run with them and they're a great company. I know there's a ton of mixing/ mastering work to be had!
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Razor7Music wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Great post.

I'll be building my catalog. Trying to hone my craft with more hooks throughout my tracks--instead of just the chorus! Wish me luck! :D
Haha, good luck! Great goal. Might adopt that myself.
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Unstar wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:38 pm
My goal is to earn at least half of what I spent in plugins and software in 2018 :p
Ha good luck on that one... I wish you well :lol:
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:44 pm

TerrellBurt wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:04 am
I'm with Razor7Music, my main goal for 2019 is to build my catalog. That has been working the best for me so far.

If can do one new song/collaboration/co-write a week (possibly two a week but I want to be realistic), I will increase my catalog by 50 songs. It would also be ideal to get them all signed by varous music libraries.
Nice! Great goals. How many were you doing when you started out (if you don't mind me asking)? Trying to dip back into songs myself but I know my speed will probably be pretty slow to start. Attempting to set some realistic goals. Ha
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:48 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:16 pm
Music-related (I spare you the others):

1. Not getting up at 4:30 AM for the day (tell that the new baby ;) ), because proper sleep might be the most important thing for health and creative work energy. Huffington has written a whole book on it. :shock: According to what he told on TAXI TV in the past, I am also concerned that Michael L. does not get enough sleep.

2. Instead, sleep like we have always for possibly 100,000s of years before electric light was invented, that is "segmented": 8/9 PM - 12/1 AM, then maybe create some music for 2h, then sleep again 2/3-6/7.

3. Be less obviously MIDI-driven. :mrgreen:

4. Maybe start using a DAW. :roll:

5. Finish my first lyric video in January. :shock:
Haha oh I am not a morning person so I can relate to that! I guess the most important thing is the total time invested.
Let me know how that new sleeping plan goes for you...! Always reading research on stuff like that but haven't actually met anyone who has successfully done it. Curious to hear.
And have fun with the rest... all great goals!
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:49 pm

SubRivers wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:00 pm
Produce more tracks!
Have made some inroads and contacts this last year but it has also coincided with a drop in my output.
Yes! Finding the same. Trying to keep the main thing the main thing!
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:36 am
Write more songs.

Decide what I want to be when I grow up.

:D Casey
Haha ugh same :lol:
Anna Yarbrough