What Did I Do?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

oldmattb

What Did I Do?

Post by oldmattb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:58 am

I am a singer-songwriter in the Americana-Folk vein. Most of my stuff goes nowhere, but I enjoy what I do, and have a small local following.

Maybe a year ago, I recorded an instrumental just for fun. Its purpose was for me and our dogs to dance about stupidly in the living room, just a joke cut! "Dingadoo" is a nickname for our dog Dingo. I promptly forgot about it, until I ran across it and posted it a few places.

By far, the most response from anything I have done!

(my most popular cut I don't really sing on, and my most popular photo, my face is hidden. Still reckoning with that!)

Anyway, if you guys and gals could listen to a bit of this. Tell me what genre this would be, and help me understand why ANYONE but my dogs would like it. I am at a loss.

Matt B

https://soundcloud.com/oldmattb/dinga-doo-mp3

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What Did I Do?

Post by ttully » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:04 am

Hey Matt,

Well....
It is a very odd mashup of stuff!!!

Is it a top 40 hit..... no.
But there is something about it that makes it interesting.

I've said this before about some songs...… they're so stupid and bad...that they are good! (yes..that is a compliment!)
And the goory lyrics just repeating.... not trying to be deep and thought provoking….. just stupid and fun.

I really like the part from the Led Zeppelin style guitar solo to about 2:00 with just the organ playing....there is something infectious about this groove, right after the solo.

My 3 cents worth,
Tim

oldmattb

Post by oldmattb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:12 am

ttully wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:04 am
Hey Matt,

Well....
It is a very odd mashup of stuff!!!

Is it a top 40 hit..... no.
But there is something about it that makes it interesting.

I've said this before about some songs...… they're so stupid and bad...that they are good! (yes..that is a compliment!)
And the goory lyrics just repeating.... not trying to be deep and thought provoking….. just stupid and fun.

I really like the part from the Led Zeppelin style guitar solo to about 2:00 with just the organ playing....there is something infectious about this groove, right after the solo.

My 3 cents worth,
Tim
Thanks so much for listening and for the analysis. I agree with the "stupid and bad" sometimes being good. I often think about the Flying Lizards' version of "Money." No logical explanation of why that was huge.

I suppose my cut could just be a happy accident. I would like to figure out what I did and do it again. There was no plan and not thought in it, which makes it hard to think of a plan!

Matt B

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 am

Hey Matt!

Not sure I can help with the genre side of things, except maybe "experimental". :)

As far as why someone would enjoy it, I think it probably comes down to the fact that you enjoyed it. (or at least it sounded like you did) Sometimes the best music we create doesn't come from formulas or pre-conceived ideas as to what a song should be, but when it just flows out of us. Kinda sounds like that's what happened here.

Keep rocking that guitar! (I enjoyed the pinch harmonics!)

Andrew

oldmattb

Post by oldmattb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:57 pm

ResonantTone wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 am
Hey Matt!

Not sure I can help with the genre side of things, except maybe "experimental". :)

As far as why someone would enjoy it, I think it probably comes down to the fact that you enjoyed it. (or at least it sounded like you did) Sometimes the best music we create doesn't come from formulas or pre-conceived ideas as to what a song should be, but when it just flows out of us. Kinda sounds like that's what happened here.

Keep rocking that guitar! (I enjoyed the pinch harmonics!)

Andrew
Thanks for that! I did enjoy it, though it is pretty foggy how it came about. I do remember the guitar solo was one-shot without even thinking about it. Maybe I think too much sometimes!

Matt B