What do I learn from this critique?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

fretman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

What do I learn from this critique?

Post by fretman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:22 am

I submitted a request for S210509GR:
This Company is searching for Instrumental Cues in the general ballpark of these references:

"Catholique Girl of Syros" by Nikos Soulis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVHu4avGZl8
"Itia" by Kiki Fragouli https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT4konM88o0
"My Little Neighbor" by Nikos Vasiliou https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHEIMBtxdDI

Although one of the references has vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

Please submit Instrumental Cues that capture the essence of Traditional Greek music in a sparse and minimalistic way. Your Cues should have authentic-sounding rhythms, melodies, and instrumentation. Incorporating traditional instruments like the Bouzouki, Karamuza, or Toubeleki could help your pieces feel more authentic. If you're using any virtual instruments to replace organic ones, they need to sound like the real thing – nothing stiff or obviously MIDI-driven will work, here. Build your Cues around a simple motif, and create a subtle sense of movement and dynamics by layering instruments in and out as they progress. Remember, simple is best for this pitch!

Quoting the Music Library: “We are looking for Cues that are sparse and somewhat simple. Only 4 to 6 instruments maximum. Keep them simple and try to introduce some edit points along the tracks. Very high bar, in terms of realism. Meaning, if any of the instruments sound too 'MIDI' then the Cues should be rejected.”

Your submissions need to be around 2 minutes long (nothing that runs 3 or 4 minutes, please) with non-faded, buttoned endings. Broadcast Quality is needed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My submission https://www.taxi.com/members/zuHdYfRqTI ... a6A-thasos got returned because:

What I like most about this song:
I like some of the thematic ideas and the 2 beat feel.

I think you could improve this song by:
This has some cool motifs and guitar licks, but it needs more of a Greek sound consistent with the references.

I returned or forwarded this song because:
This was a fun listen and has nice guitar playing, but it needs more elements to make it more distinctly Greek.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait, what? The only guitar in there is the background chording. The melody instruments are bouzoukis. I don't know how to make it more "Greek". I thought I may have ripped off Zorba too much. I wish there was a way to appeal. Thoughts anyone? What am I suppose to learn from this? Frustrated...

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What do I learn from this critique?

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:17 am

Even my wife who didn't know what I was listening too or why said 'that sounds Greek'!
I'd say contact Taxi/the Head Screener. Maybe there was some mistake.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

fretman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by fretman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:00 pm

Thank you, Thank you. Telefunkin!

A friend of mine is from Greece and he recognized it right away as Greek. I'll see if I can find a way to contact the Head Screener. I didn't know that was an option. I used the normal contact form with the title "Please forward to Head Screener". We'll see what happens next.

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:36 pm

Opa!
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:02 am

Your track probably wasn't as greek sounding as the competing submissions, hence the hint in the feedback..
Ceo of my own life

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:20 am

I thought they sounded like virtual instruments , everything was a bit rigid on the grid sounding

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:45 am

I don't know anything about authentic Greek music, I thought the composition was great but tend to agree with Cosmic that it sounded canned/in the box.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:11 am

Sounds Greek to me. Although the bass especially in the intro seems like it needs automation or something applied to add expression. Also, does Greek swing?
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

fretman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by fretman » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:17 am

Just to bring this to a close, I got a response back from Annie, the Head Screener, who was very nice and apologized for the rather poor review. She listened to my piece a few times and agreed it was very Greek and very fun to listen to. It is a great song but a poor cue. She suggested I take ONE of the three sections and add some gentle dynamic/build changes to make it more suitable.

Now THAT's some helpful feedback!

I'll bring up your grid idea in another forum post.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:38 am

There you go! It was worth making contact, even if it didn't change the outcome. Now you're happy to have a critique that makes sense, and Taxi have some useful feedback on their process.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.