What do you do when.. crickets

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

What do you do when.. crickets

Post by edmondredd » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:21 pm

I'd like to hear opinions and ways to handle the following:

A few months ago, close to last year, I got a forward from Taxi that landed me a contact with a music publisher who is partnered with a big publisher in the US. I`ve been asked to write an album of a couple of cues, and in the meantime, I got to have a look at a sample agreement as well as a writer's registration form, which I duly filled out and sent back.
A couple of days later, I sent all the requested cues in a streamable form for approval and asked to get a copy of the agreement to sign it and move with the project.
Two weeks later, I got an answer: the tracks were perfect.
The issue was that there was still no agreement.
I followed up the next day, but there was no response.
I followed up the next month, but there was no response either.
Fast forward to almost 7 months after the last follow-up, and nothing has changed.
So I'm torn between following up again or pitching this album somewhere else.
The only document I signed is the writer's registration form, so nothing is tied to this publisher other than that they might reach out.
So any insights would be really helpful. 

Thanks a lot
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: What do you do when.. crickets

Post by Casey H » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:40 pm

Hi Edmond
I suggest reaching out to Taxi and asking them if they can find out what's up with this client. They have direct contact and like to follow up on their clients.

Good luck!
:D Casey

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:48 am

Hi Edmond,
I have been and still am in this scenario with a couple of my tracks with two different libraries and have posted this on different places on other forums and groups plus a direct message to some of my sync friends. I signed a contract for the track and then like you said "crickets" haven't heard back from them to deliver any files. I basically moved on and but I understand your situation is different, you have at least already sent the alt mixes.

One of the libraries I was in, actually my first contract in 2019 accepted another forward last year and this library asked me if they would like to join their team, I replied "I am already signed with you with this track "xxxxxxx" and he replied back "Oh sorry I must have lost the contract, could you send me the first track again that I signed in 2019 and also fill out the agreement contract"...hmm! :roll: I wonder if they got hacked and someone is trying to get your info or they had a data melt down and lost everything. No clue and can't be bothered to waste more energy on this. One thing for sure is if I get a forward to this library and was contacted again I would think twice to sign my track with them or I would first contact TAXI before I do.

Good luck and hope you get some answers.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:04 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:48 am
One of the libraries I was in, actually my first contract in 2019 accepted another forward last year and this library asked me if they would like to join their team, I replied "I am already signed with you with this track "xxxxxxx" and he replied back "Oh sorry I must have lost the contract, could you send me the first track again that I signed in 2019 and also fill out the agreement contract"...hmm! :roll:
I would not do business with this sort of company after that response.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:33 am

DesireInspires wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:04 pm
I would not do business with this sort of company after that response.
Nope. Big red flag for me

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:53 am

Doesn't sound like you're legally bound to give them anything, and aren't beholden to "hold" these tracks for them. No contract = no obligation.

I'd move on. 7 months is far too long to sit by idly waiting for them. I could understand a month or even two, but seven is gratuitous. In other hands, these songs might already be landing placements and churning revenue for you.

~~Matt

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:40 pm
Hi Edmond
I suggest reaching out to Taxi and asking them if they can find out what's up with this client. They have direct contact and like to follow up on their clients.

Good luck!
:D Casey
actually, I haven't thought of that :) Thanks Casey!
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:34 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:48 am
Hi Edmond,
I have been and still am in this scenario with a couple of my tracks with two different libraries and have posted this on different places on other forums and groups plus a direct message to some of my sync friends. I signed a contract for the track and then like you said "crickets" haven't heard back from them to deliver any files. I basically moved on and but I understand your situation is different, you have at least already sent the alt mixes.

One of the libraries I was in, actually my first contract in 2019 accepted another forward last year and this library asked me if they would like to join their team, I replied "I am already signed with you with this track "xxxxxxx" and he replied back "Oh sorry I must have lost the contract, could you send me the first track again that I signed in 2019 and also fill out the agreement contract"...hmm! :roll: I wonder if they got hacked and someone is trying to get your info or they had a data melt down and lost everything. No clue and can't be bothered to waste more energy on this. One thing for sure is if I get a forward to this library and was contacted again I would think twice to sign my track with them or I would first contact TAXI before I do.

Good luck and hope you get some answers.
I'll email taxi as per Casey's recomendation. Thanks for letting me know Andre!
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:36 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:53 am
Doesn't sound like you're legally bound to give them anything, and aren't beholden to "hold" these tracks for them. No contract = no obligation.

I'd move on. 7 months is far too long to sit by idly waiting for them. I could understand a month or even two, but seven is gratuitous. In other hands, these songs might already be landing placements and churning revenue for you.

~~Matt
It's true I'm not legally bound Matt, it's just that I've learned to wait on answers, but this one seemed like it won't ever come back again :) Thanks for chiming in!
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image